So you want to do your first road race...

bertusras

Serious? Let me know your banking details and transfer process please!

you need to do the change at registration - Cycle Events won't entertain it any other way.

Edit: negotiate with the seller, and then get his race number once it is SMS'd or emailed. After that, you can do the change at registration.

Edited by geraldm24

Sounds like you have it all sorted Bertus...just make sure you drink enough and you also had a good breakfast and maybe some Gu / energy stuff in between...whatever helps you along the way for energy...each person uses their own poison...

Good luck and just enjoy it out there...each race will teach you something new.

Thanks Cassie. I've done quite a few MTB Marathons, but this road racing thing is new to me. Looking forward to it!

you can pay for all the above online when do the entry and save some money too.

chip is R120 if you buy if through the event link

CSA Membership is R120, and only goes up next month.

Entry fee is R210 (65), R300 (103) or R320 if your are a licensed cyclist.

It shouldn't force you, as there is an option to pay a R35 day licence.

only saw this after replying to the OP.

If anyone wants to buy/sell an entry, it can only be done at registration.

If the OP decides to take this entry and buys a chip, it will be R140. We negotiated the price before they had their increase.

Thanks Gerald, unfortunately all your wisdom came a tad too late. I saw that I could get both CSA Membership and the Racetec Chip at discounted rates, after I individually purchased both directly. Oh well.

As for the checking out on Cycle Events, check the below screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/dPSoAyP.png

However Eunice at CE said she'll sort me out. 

@HonkDonk, I'm sure there's someone unlike me who would like to ride but can't quite afford/missed the deadline, so feel free to pass it on! Thanks for your offer though!

Thanks Cassie. I've done quite a few MTB Marathons, but this road racing thing is new to me. Looking forward to it!

Thanks Gerald, unfortunately all your wisdom came a tad too late. I saw that I could get both CSA Membership and the Racetec Chip at discounted rates, after I individually purchased both directly. Oh well.

As for the checking out on Cycle Events, check the below screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/dPSoAyP.png

However Eunice at CE said she'll sort me out.

@HonkDonk, I'm sure there's someone unlike me who would like to ride but can't quite afford/missed the deadline, so feel free to pass it on! Thanks for your offer though!

Wasn't discounted rates, but rather the old price when we signed the agreement with CE.

There was in increase on the timing chip.

CSA will increase the membership fee going forward, so anyone that needs to renew will pay the R150 anyway, so you haven't really paid more.

Once entry is sorted out:

Week Before:

Do a bike check early/middle of the week before the race - then don't fiddle.

Day Before:

Pack out your clothes, snacks, juices, race number etc.  Check it and pack it.  

Day of the race:

Get there early.  makes finding a parking easier, getting through registration quicker and gives the opportunity to find a toilet if needed.

Get into your chute near the front.

For the race:

Hopefully get into a group - even if it is small (5+) you will be faster than on your own.  Don't stress if the group isn't going as fast as you think it should.  9 out of 10 times the group will be faster than you by yourself.  And if the group is going too slow, then another group will eventually pass you - grab them as they go by.

Talk to the guys/gals in the group - ultimately this is a social event.  

Do your turns at the front.

HAVE FUN.

Finish and have a cold drink - you choose your poison :-)  

Personal preference - get out of your sweaty kit ASAP.

Don't forget your timing chip.

I get plenty requestS at the start line, "left my chip behind, where can I get a chip from?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't force you, as there is an option to pay a R35 day licence.

You right, it shouldn't at all but did the same to me two weeks ago. Just kept defaulting to the R120.00 option and wouldn't let me amend it?!

So just paid the R120.00 to get the entry done.

Anyway...slight hijack off.

You right, it shouldn't at all but did the same to me two weeks ago. Just kept defaulting to the R120.00 option and wouldn't let me amend it?!

If one does more than 3 events per year, then the CyclingSA membership option is a no-brainer, without even taking the other minor benefits into account.

I'll ask why it does that, just out of curiosity.

If one does more than 3 events per year, then the CyclingSA membership option is a no-brainer, without even taking the other minor benefits into account.

Agreed and thank you.

Wasn't discounted rates, but rather the old price when we signed the agreement with CE.

There was in increase on the timing chip.

CSA will increase the membership fee going forward, so anyone that needs to renew will pay the R150 anyway, so you haven't really paid more.

I hear you.

Once entry is sorted out:

Week Before:

Do a bike check early/middle of the week before the race - then don't fiddle.

Day Before:

Pack out your clothes, snacks, juices, race number etc.  Check it and pack it.  

Day of the race:

Get there early.  makes finding a parking easier, getting through registration quicker and gives the opportunity to find a toilet if needed.

Get into your chute near the front.

For the race:

Hopefully get into a group - even if it is small (5+) you will be faster than on your own.  Don't stress if the group isn't going as fast as you think it should.  9 out of 10 times the group will be faster than you by yourself.  And if the group is going too slow, then another group will eventually pass you - grab them as they go by.

Talk to the guys/gals in the group - ultimately this is a social event.  

Do your turns at the front.

HAVE FUN.

Finish and have a cold drink - you choose your poison :-)  

Personal preference - get out of your sweaty kit ASAP.

Thanks for this! Getting there early is going to be my biggest challenge I think :P

Don't forget your timing chip.

I get plenty requestS at the start line, "left my chip behind, where can I get a chip from?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gerald. When registering on Racetec it said I'll need to collect my chip at my first event, which I presume would be early Sunday morning then. This can't be done with number collection?

Yeah that's exactly what's happening to me, there was no way for me to remove the R120 option. 

No, I agree, but I already have CSA membership, hence not wanting to pay twice.

When I entered one of my mates the same thing happened. He took out the CSA membership when he did his Argus entry, but it made me choose to pay for a new one or to take a day license. i chose the latter, as it was the only way to enter him, but I thought it a bit of a rip off. wtf

Thanks Gerald. When registering on Racetec it said I'll need to collect my chip at my first event, which I presume would be early Sunday morning then. This can't be done with number collection?

You can collect your chip at number collection - for this weekend's race (Midvaal) or our event's number collection.

Edited by geraldm24