Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

And.....Northcliff Cycles..no stock!  :thumbdown: ...the guy did recommend Sportful but that brings me back to golden rule...don't change BIBS two weeks before an Epic. 

Well you can change to another brand provided you wear them for the next 2 weeks 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no comment on First Ascent.... but I do own R3000 bibs that I wouldn't wear for more than 40km.... (think I have about 15 sets of those...)  and I have 10 sets in the same price bracket that I have ridden 230km off road in in a single ride ....

Makes sure they are super comfortable... NO chafe spots - none....

I'm lining up for Epic number 4. I've had great joy with Santini bibs. A good tip is to not use the same bibs on each day (by make and design I mean). The contact points tend to be the same and you could find yourself developing some sensitive chafe zones by Stage 4/5. 

So if First Ascent works for you (personally they would not be my choice) I would find another brand that you can alternate with. I'm now using Ciovita and Pearl Izumi mix. 

Incidentally, my Santini's have done 3 Epics and 4 years of training - and they're still going. Sure - faded; a couple of holes - but useable. But they will not be coming with me this year. Pasture calls I think.... 

But best to find what works for you real soon bud. Enjoy the pre-race nerves. Its the best part.

My first epic, 2010, day 1 with Assos Mile and 8k's of railway track, 1 x saddle sore for the whole epic. NOT fun.

Next two 2015 and 2016, every stage done in Assos Equipe, same three pairs rotating and cleaning everyday. Not a single issue. Oh and I use Marks Bum Cream. Also keep landing strip hair free.

I stay in Pta and every store I have been to seems to have little to no stock. More than one shop indicated they keep little stock of clothing as it does not sell well and is expensive. Yikes! Buying BIBS online is dangerous/suicide if it is a brand you do not know. You need to fit first.  Ok truth be told I have not been to Cyclelab but that is a principle issue. I do not buy from Cyclelab as they over inflate everything by 80%-100%. For the Assos Cento S7 they ask R2000 more than what my usual LBS gives it to me. Crazy! This weekend I will have to do some serious searching..I am panicking just a little bit! Combination of Epic nerves vs No BIBS  :eek:

Super padded does not mean its good.........oh and the name  :w00t:

True that....but my ass has seen tens of thousands of km's on many and various multi stage races and it knows when something feels good. But it might just be my "skew" ass that likes it like that :whistling:

And Enjoy does have a decent name in the branch i think?

oh boy...i am sounding like a broken record..just waiting for someone to say "shut up..we just about had enough of your ranting over bibs..."....here goes...(I will take whatever verbal use is coming my way!). So today phoned a few more shops just to check on stock...no luck! Yeah they stock Assos....arrghh...serioulsy! I see the new Assos S7 range has padding that is open on the sides (basically it looks like the sewing came undone even before you wore it). Wouldn't these open sides be prone to chafing?  

oh boy...i am sounding like a broken record..just waiting for someone to say "shut up..we just about had enough of your ranting over bibs..."....here goes...(I will take whatever verbal use is coming my way!). So today phoned a few more shops just to check on stock...no luck! Yeah they stock Assos....arrghh...serioulsy! I see the new Assos S7 range has padding that is open on the sides (basically it looks like the sewing came undone even before you wore it). Wouldn't these open sides be prone to chafing?  

If they fit properly then its no issue. Was probably done to reduce chaffing, doing away with some unnecessary stitching. I found the stitching in the middle around the gooch area was a bit irritating but that was on the standard saddle my bike came with. No such issue with the power saddle with a channel down the middle. 

https://www.cyclesharp.co.za/product-category/mens/assos-mens/bibs/ cheapest in sa at the moment when It comes to Assos

Gents just another question on the tyres, I read bicycle's epic snippet, and what bothers me is on 3 separate occasions(stages) the Route director says hope you packed your spare tubes, plugs and bombs... Im between Specialized Grid and Vitori's at the moment, any1 have experience with both?

Have a great weekend!

Ground Control GRID

Acerunner, I have done 2 epics on Spez Fast Trak Grid front and back. Not a single issue.

Going into this one with a Schwalbe Nob Nic front and Fast Trak grid 2.3 back.

I think Ground Control grid front and Fast Trak back would be se super combo.

I can't say anything about Vittori's though.

Acerunner, I have done 2 epics on Spez Fast Trak Grid front and back. Not a single issue.

Going into this one with a Schwalbe Nob Nic front and Fast Trak grid 2.3 back.

I think Ground Control grid front and Fast Trak back would be se super combo.

I can't say anything about Vittori's though.

Thnx I weigh 88? Would you say the Grid's are considered "heavy Duty" tyres? Thick rubber compound, or insane sidewall?

I am 70kg's on a hardtail, so the extra volume in the 2.3 comes in handy.

Partner is around your weight, rides a dual, and also had Fasttrak front and back.

Can't comment on the technical side but I can vouch for the sidewall's being bulletproof. In our case at least...

Only reason I am not running Spez front and back is I received the Schwalbe as a gift.

Doing the Epic this year on my new SRAM Eagle (10-50) with a 34T up front. Any opinions on that? 

I'm sure you'll be fine. I rode 32T with 11-42 last year and it was enough for the climbs. 

Archived