94.7 MTB 55 km Route

Guest CraigTaylorZA

Guest CraigTaylorZA

Hey Hubbers,

Who has the 94.7 55km MTB route map, i can't seem to find it anywhere and want to work out water stops and profile / climb.

Thanks and cheers,

Craig

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Hubbers,

Who has the 94.7 55km MTB route map, i can't seem to find it anywhere and want to work out water stops and profile / climb.

Thanks and cheers,

Craig

Because the race go through Steyn City, no map is available. It is a very protected area as Mr. Steyn himself stay there. However route should be similar than last year, so try and get it off Strava.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a distinct lack of the usual chatter around 94.7 in general and around the MTB ride in particular. This is the only thread I could find on it. For those of you that have done the 30km and the 55km, how do they compare in terms of technicality and difficulty? I have done the 30km a few times and I have now taken the step up and entered the 55km. Seeded in A5. I have done a few 55km/60km races (USN series mostly) but, for some reason, I am fairly apprehensive about the 94.7 longer distance. Is it "do-able" for a fairly fit roadie who likes to go for a ride on the dirt track every now and then?

There is a distinct lack of the usual chatter around 94.7 in general and around the MTB ride in particular. This is the only thread I could find on it. For those of you that have done the 30km and the 55km, how do they compare in terms of technicality and difficulty? I have done the 30km a few times and I have now taken the step up and entered the 55km. Seeded in A5. I have done a few 55km/60km races (USN series mostly) but, for some reason, I am fairly apprehensive about the 94.7 longer distance. Is it "do-able" for a fairly fit roadie who likes to go for a ride on the dirt track every now and then?

In A5 you'll be hundreds. Haven't done this new route but in the past there has been little to no technical terrain. When there is, if you're not at the front you're walking. 

I have done the previous two 55kms on this route and from what I can remember there isn't anything too technical.

I started both around A3 and if I have waited 3mins in total at bottlenecks that's a lot. Last year right at the start a guy lost his balance going through some sand which caused a slow down, after that the field spread out nicely.

For me it is a very enjoyable outing.

Edit: typo

I have done the previous two 55kms on this route and from what I can remember there isn't anything too technical.

I started both around A3 and if I have waited 3mins in total at bottlenecks that's a lot. Last year right at the start a guy lost his balance going through some sand which caused a slow down, after that the field spread out nicely.

For me it is a very enjoyable outing.

Edit: typo

Hi, Sorry I think it was me the first bit of single track, some sand and down I went. Hopefully this year luck is on my side...PS: Part time mountain biker full time roadie.

I really enjoy this race, its not too technical. The only problem is, it is normally hot on the day and a bit off climbing at the end when the cramps start to set in.

The climbs through Steyn City is pretty steep and a couple of people was walking these. It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be - being such a commercial event and was surprised that it was for the most a proper MTB event -  even if some of the route is on paving - and the "hot" statements are very true... my Garmin said 35degC just before the start @ 8:00 last year. The guys that started later - I don't even wanna think about it - I had minimum of 30degC at 25% and max of 40DegC about 70% through the race.

I am wondering if the course survived last night's floods. And they are predicting more rain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am wondering if the course survived last night's floods. And they are predicting more rain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Did not even think about that, let's hope it did. All the rain could make for an interesting ride.

Probably the most technical part is to avoid all the other riders! Last year the loop into Northern Farms took us down and along the river which was mostly single track with a few overtaking spots. Starting late will put you into Steyn City in the heat of the day which is a killer. The long slog out of SC near the end sorts out the riders from weekend warriors, from what I hear it will be very similar to last years route. Last nights rain will make it a mud splash along the river which will be fun.

agree not very technical, however don't underestimate the climbing at the end. I saw plenty guys cramping and burning out towards the last few kms last year. 

Archived