Urgent notice - "Trail Z" Tygerberg

milky4130

If I recall Kliprig was lost cos of a rider getting lost on a race, and when confronted by the owner was told who the F...K are you and F..K off by the rider. if you are in the wrong be polite.

shoo that story got a few stertjies & oortjies at least from the version I heard. #restinpeacekliprug

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Tygerberg: They get the proceeds of the day permits for the riders on their land, and in some cases a small monthly income from the club for the use of their land. It varies from farm to farm.

In the case of Trail Z (Welvergenoegd) they get a cut of the Hoogekraal day permits cos the trail is only accessible from Hoogekraal

Other trail networks will have different arrangements depending on their attitude towards MTB and their previous experiences thereof.

Kliprug, I'd imagine, would require a substantially higher fee for the use of their trail, thanks to previous infractions, before they reopened to MTB

There is a formula for the amount each landowner gets paid and is based on:

# members

km trail (calculated separately for jeep track and singletrack)

maintenance (does club maintain or does land owner maintain)

While we are very dependent on generosity where it comes to being granted access, the amount budgeted for all trails for 2016 was just shy of R900 000 so the land owners are reimbursed.

These land access fees are paid quarterly but if we lose access, it is not only a portion of the trail access fee which is wasted, but more the investment in building the trails which for trail z was over R200 000

There is a formula for the amount each landowner gets paid and is based on:

# members

km trail (calculated separately for jeep track and singletrack)

maintenance (does club maintain or does land owner maintain)

While we are very dependent on generosity where it comes to being granted access, the amount budgeted for all trails for 2016 was just shy of R900 000 so the land owners are reimbursed.

These land access fees are paid quarterly but if we lose access, it is not only a portion of the trail access fee which is wasted, but more the investment in building the trails which for trail z was over R200 000

Yep. And that's one thing you'll never get back. Opportunity cost is a fickle thing. 

Archived