Electronic shifting with old derailleurs

carbon29er

Not for me thanks. Can't see this working, not sure most people see this as a problem that needs solving. Why can't he get backing from an investor, or a bank, or as an inventor and engineer, how come he isn't prepared to put up a measly $50 000 of his own money? 50 grand isn't exactly a lot of cash.

Not for me thanks. Can't see this working, not sure most people see this as a problem that needs solving. Why can't he get backing from an investor, or a bank, or as an inventor and engineer, how come he isn't prepared to put up a measly $50 000 of his own money? 50 grand isn't exactly a lot of cash.

Maybe he is already putting money in but cant raise the last amount?

There could be a number of reasons.

But Im with you on that, I dont see it as a problem that needs solving. Di2/etap etc are great, but they were designed to work that way.

Because that is how kickstarter works? Maybe you should have a look at how modern funding of new concepts works.

Even large companies launch products on kickstarter, It's a simple way of gauging demand for a product without wasting money on market research.

As to the product, I bet you have never seen any reason fpr Di2, EPS or eTap either.

But hey, it's the hub, what would life be without gratuitous advice?

Almost 700 and thousand Randelas  :eek:

He probably has already - given he has working prototypes already I am sure he is a long way down the road and heavily invested personally.

the little (rather tacky looking) handlebar switch component is the easy bit .

the motor component that makes an old mechanical pull derailleur function ( they require a lot of cable force to move/function) is going to be the problem with this idea .

I really hope that it works out for this fella but seriously I don't see it working well /or being reliable or being very commercially successful (if I want electronic ill buy purpose designed equipment etap etc).

its going to be like these old mtbs that you see around with a 2 stroke motor stuck on them - interesting concept  but you wont really want one :whistling:

the motor component that makes an old mechanical pull derailleur function ( they require a lot of cable force to move/function) is going to be the problem with this idea .

I really hope that it works out for this fella but seriously I don't see it working well /or being reliable or being very commercially successful (if I want electronic ill buy purpose designed equipment etap etc).

its going to be like these old mtbs that you see around with a 2 stroke motor stuck on them - interesting concept  but you wont really want one :whistling:

From what I see in trade websites is he has it working, design and prototypes are done, just raising the cash for manufacture.

The main benefit as I see it is ease of shifting and synced shifts, something that costs at least R18,000 plus vat if you buy from CRC today just for the levers and derailleurs and control box, but largely using your existing kit.

I'm taking a punt on a set for my tandem, it's a relatively cheap punt compared to Ultegra Di2 or eTap, and gives me the instant and accurate shifting I would get spending 3 or 4 times the money.

As I've always been at the bleeding edge on new product uptake I actually do want one.

Hi everybody, thanks for your comments. 

We smashed our goal on Kickstarter in only 2 days and continuing to grow. I want to personally thank everyone that made a pledge on Kickstarter and supported us. We are so excited that this product will become a reality. There has been such an overwhelming response to the XSHIFTER which has given us direction to really improve the product in many ways.

With your feedback we have already:

1. Developed the remote control for Road bikes.

2. Developed a modular mounting system that really cleans up the appearance and robustness.

3. Proposed many new smart functions for the APP.

4. Configured dropper post actuation.

Thanks again to all the people that have provided their input and supported us.

Cheers. 

Paul

http://bit.ly/xshifter1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your skepticism. But, this device is in fact working very well. I'm an engineer with decades of experience. I've launched many successful programs. Maybe you've heard of Guide Ultimate and Level?  I've designed a servo for this application that is extremely robust and precise. It works exactly as claimed. I've duty cycle tested it with 3D printed parts, and it's still very robust. I destroyed 2 derailleurs duty cycle testing the first prototype. I personally tested the first 3D printed prototype. I put 3000km on it with massive shifting. Never had a single issue and never needed an adjustment. I was even surprised myself a little... I'm not giving details of the inner workings until the patent is published, but once you see it you will realize it will last a very long time.

We've gotten a lot of advice and criticism over the last few months and have used all of that to really improve the product. You might want to take a fresh look at it. This is by far the least expensive and most versatile electronic shifting system available. And it will get better and better with time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598276649/xshifter-worlds-first-universal-wireless-smart-shi

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a great solution to a problem that never really existed. From an engineering point of view i would love to take one apart and see how it works but i cant really see the benefits over cable shifting. Arent bikes complicated enough without electronics added into the mix?

Seems like a great solution to a problem that never really existed. From an engineering point of view i would love to take one apart and see how it works but i cant really see the benefits over cable shifting. Arent bikes complicated enough without electronics added into the mix?

Exactly what you probably said when Di2, EPS then eTap were launched. Now K-Force have release WE.

Clearly shows demand although problem never existed. I don't think there is a bike rider who would still buy mechanical shifting if budget was not an issue.

post-35786-0-99357700-1480490447_thumb.jpg

That's quite a bit of cash being put up by people who have a very different view to you two on it working. And working well.

I look forward to using it on my tandem and no longer being dependent on matching a shifter make to a dérailleur make.

Its not for everyone. I knew people even at SRAM that could ride eTap for free, and still preferred manual shifting. That's okay.

Archived