Climbing: Sitting or Standing

I would like to here the general oppinion of you guys on this.  When I started cycling I was told that it is better to sit while climbing.  You tend to spend less energy.  That is also what I used to do and I climbed not too badly sitting.  But lately I am not confortable when sitting while climbing.  I prefer to stand nowadays.  What could the cause of this be?  Maybe bike setup?  Or should I not worry about this.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know as soon as you stand your heart rate goes up by 10 BPM.....

as far as I know it is more efficient to sit.

maybe only stand when you need to close gaps or attacking...

dunno if that helps....just thing aloud

SITTING is more efficient, but I prefer standing on steep climbs, I reckon that if it is verry verry steep anybody will stand. If it is flat you sit - you just need to find the point at which you switch between the two - up to you.

I also enjoy standing because it is a break for my butt and muscles are used slightly differently.

What irretates me is that I used to climb with good rythm while sitting.  All of a sudden I simply don't get rythm while sitting.

Guest Michelle

Maybe your legs aren't as strong as they used to be?

Not sure is this helps, but a famous cyclist and his coach wrote a book about training, and the part about sitting or standing when climbing said something to the effect of:

You should sit while climbing, and choose one or 2 gears lighter than you would instinctively choose - spin up the climb at a high cadence - it uses less of the energy stored in your muscles.

On Steep sections, or even simply as a break from sitting, you should stand, while still keeping the same cadence. If the same cadence is not possible, gear up one or two gears for the duration of the standing stint. Bear in mind though, that the muscles you use more when you are standing are bigger (and more powerful), and therefore use more oxygen when employed - hence the increase in the HR (to supply more oxygen to those muscles), so standing should be used in shorter bursts, as it is definitely less efficient, even if is more effective.

Bataleur, what I would suggest is trying to find a lighter gear when sitting and climbing, perhaps that would assist in getting into a better rythym.

Also, I find that saddle height affects my pedalling smoothness as well, have you changed anything to do with your saddle recently ?

WHen i'm really suffering in a race i can't stand. I think it depends on the situation. How steep is the hill, how tired you are.  All depends.

Big%20smile

I always preferred sitting the climb out .... at times I stand especially when I need to add an extra bit of force up the climb or try playing catch-up ...On most hills depending on their gradient I usually slack a little---find a gear to spin in & hold my breath for 15sec...a few times & increase the rhythm as the hill gets steeper...sometimes I'll train hills where I stand 90% of the climb.....Dead

A pittence worth......

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Ok, I guess you talking all about a RACE SITUATION, were you hit everybody with the kitchen sink. Go upwards as fast as you can.

But:

If you train? Which one is best to improve leg strength?

have you changed anything to do with your saddle recently

I have a new saddle for a couple of months now.  Problem that I have noticed is that the bloomin thing in time does slide backwards (It should be set as much as possible forward for me).  Now that could have and did have an impact on comfort in general.  But the problem is, the moment I kick back to put some power in the pedals, I actually push myself off the saddle, hence get up and stand.  If I stay seated then it feels I don't get to push down hard enough on the pedals.  Maybe Michelle is on to  something there.  Maybe I must just training harder on my climbing again.

Big%20smile

Why is the saddle sliding backwards in the first place ??? On set-up's I could never ride well/comfortable enough with a saddle too far back..at one time my arms were fully extended to reach as it was set up...I experimented myself & am now so comfy with the saddle raised slightly, moved forward & as far as climbing goes I'm happy with it...I will fit my own replacement saddle if I have to because I have recorded my settings...

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Hey Popeye

I am with you... If you train sitting surely it does not make sence to jump out of the saddle in the Race situation as you are changing the muscles used?? Correct me if I am wrong?  and then there is the thought that I had about DriveTrains earlier comment that you sometimes train hills standing 90% of the way... will this help you climbing a hill in the seated position?  Sorry if this comes across as a silly question just trying to weigh up the possibilities of maybe incorporating a training program of 50% seated 50% standing maybe?? Any thoughts??

very good thread and topic. I usually sit climbing mostly, only really stand to give my butt a break, or pass someone, you can so tell that you need to pump more oxygen though..............

From what I know your aim is to stay seated for as long as you can and spin it out as much as you can. This will save energy & power. However, if you are weak you will find yourself standing a lot more as you have more power on the pedals.

To build power I would suggest try riding hills in the hardest gear you can seated and also practice some sprints up the hill in as hard a gear as possible.

After a while you will find sitting & spinning will become easier.

Bateleur1 - do you more often train on your own or in a group? If you are not as strong as normal and you are in your normal group you will be standing just to keep up with the guys.

My opinion, just ride the hill.....and enjoy the rideBig%20smile