Climbing: Sitting or Standing

Okay...I've been influenced by club members/training buddies that forbid me to ride in my 53 Dead(or 52 - depends on when the last Junior league was), then on hills certain people would tell me to stay in my saddle up to the summit.

Must say it has really helped me in the long run as I was always grinding the highest possible gear.

Leave standing for attacks or for when you can't feel your butt anymore. Otherwise try to climb in a standing position for 2-5 minutes for a hectic power training ride. Have funWink

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, nice thread!

Hit the hill 2 gears lighter than what you "think" you would need,sitting as much as possible, keep the momentum going.

Stand to accelerate, stretch back and get over realy steep sections.

(Don't forget to pull on the hills, moving back on your saddle and pulling on the up- stroke with a climbing gear, can be verry effective.)

Thanks to everyone for all the info.  The following three things came to light that I can say what was the problem so far.

1.  As mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread.  The saddle was too far backwards.  Corrected that and it had quite an impact on Saturdays ride.

2.  Noticed this morning that my saddle was about 1 cm too low.  Fixed that up and had an encrideble comfortable ride.

3.  As Michelle said earlier, I need more training.  My climbing was alot  better this morning just after this weekend alone.  I think my extra 10 kilos to work I started doing in the last two weeks also helped.

Once again, thanks everyone.  Look out.  One of these days I will be soring past most of you guys again Wink

Yipp, same with me

When I started I used to get up ebery single hill I rode.....as time progressed I found that sitting was way more effecient as specially when one focusses on pulling your pedal up.....which you can't really do standing unless one is on a Monster Hill :)

Having said that I do stand from time to time to strech the leg muscles and give some vatiation :).........and I had plenty of this on Saturday up Hekpoort :)

I also agree with a lighter gear resulting in a higher cadence..one tends to settle in better into a rythm.....

But you honestly have nothing to worry about by your form we saw ver the weekend..........I for one is motivated to get back my form I had three months back :)