The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a long, long time to be riding, and some of them still have a long, long distance to go

I don't know how they can handle being out in the sun this long. I would have looked like a tomato 3 days ago already

Come on Braam & Wayne! Only 200ks to go!

Just reinforces how immense this race is when somebody says "only" 200km to go! On my best day I couldn't ride 200km.

1. Heinrich Visser: 2 days 23 hrs 1 min

2. Jeannie Dreyer: 2 days 23 hrs 14 mins

3. Mike Woolnough: 3 days 59 mins

Oops..I was a whole day off...lol

My 2c ,,being a small rider 66k is all about conservative riding,,well after 30k it was 45 deg on the Garmin and a gailforce headwind,coming around a corner I found about 10 guys under a tree just chilling.

well joined that party,after 20 min we all decided to try and make the first water point.to say it was brutal out there was the understatement on the year.Tim indicated there he is pulling out,after eventually getting to WP 1 another lie down for all,Pulled out later and about 7 of us grouped.

there was pushing through red sand ,unrideable ,your heartrate that's supposed to be super low is spiking to 160 .

after dark it did improve and we eventually became a group of about 12 ,riding improved and we sailed into the night.The temp still around 28d ,,,stopped a spaza shop that was kept open,,thank the lord,cold drinks and food,,When they say carry at least 3l water ,,no ****,,The Un official water points are life savers,

Trying to drink water out your bottle that is hot hot is nasty,and your tummy gets unhappy.

I Decided to push on to VAN DER KLOOF Dam ,,Arrived at 5 with 4 other riders,somehow I lost my Garmin on the rocky terrain before the dam and that was game over,,but I realized that I could not keep fighting the non stop headwind for 4 more days.

decided to call it a day,,,Gutted but I have to live with that.If you are thinking of riding this its a total mind game,,it's brutal I have a new respect for water,,it's your lifeblood out there.We need someone to develop a bottle that is self refrigerating.

hope that a bit of insight.

Just one word. Respect.

Come on Braam & Wayne! Only 200ks to go!

Only 18% of the race left. If he where doing a standard marathon that's only about 13km.

PERSPECTIVE!!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

My 2c ,,being a small rider 66k is all about conservative riding,,well after 30k it was 45 deg on the Garmin and a gailforce headwind,coming around a corner I found about 10 guys under a tree just chilling.

well joined that party,after 20 min we all decided to try and make the first water point.to say it was brutal out there was the understatement on the year.Tim indicated there he is pulling out,after eventually getting to WP 1 another lie down for all,Pulled out later and about 7 of us grouped.

there was pushing through red sand ,unrideable ,your heartrate that's supposed to be super low is spiking to 160 .

after dark it did improve and we eventually became a group of about 12 ,riding improved and we sailed into the night.The temp still around 28d ,,,stopped a spaza shop that was kept open,,thank the lord,cold drinks and food,,When they say carry at least 3l water ,,no ****,,The Un official water points are life savers,

Trying to drink water out your bottle that is hot hot is nasty,and your tummy gets unhappy.

I Decided to push on to VAN DER KLOOF Dam ,,Arrived at 5 with 4 other riders,somehow I lost my Garmin on the rocky terrain before the dam and that was game over,,but I realized that I could not keep fighting the non stop headwind for 4 more days.

decided to call it a day,,,Gutted but I have to live with that.If you are thinking of riding this its a total mind game,,it's brutal I have a new respect for water,,it's your lifeblood out there.We need someone to develop a bottle that is self refrigerating.

hope that a bit of insight.

Legend.

Well done for getting that far.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Please send on any links to any cool blog / race reviews of those riders who update their social media.

????

Archived