newbie intro & some questions

Chrisivr23

Hi Bikehub  :D

So just some background on myself - 23 years old, and have a really big Motocross background (about 8 years) and about 4 or so years of some BMX riding. The BMX riding included both street and dirt but mainly was time to spend time with mates and have a bit of fun off  from Moto. Unfortunately though, I don't do either anymore. Haven't ridden a BMX in a couple years now  :(

I have always had a proper interest in Slopestyle Mountain Biking and Downhill. They were both sports, in my opinion, that resonated with Motocross really well. From the style of riding, to the riders themselves and the culture surrounding the sport, it was always something I could relate to really well. I've followed the sport ever since - almost equally as closely as Moto.

So to fast-forward to today, I am dying to start riding some Slopestyle/Dirt again, but this time on a Hardtale  :D

And this is where the questions come in:

How active is the sport in South Africa, but more specifically Gauteng? Riding alone SUCKS, I know that from experience. Even maybe some BMX groups that have some decent sized jumps they frequent?

How and where do I begin looking for the whips needed to start? All the Online Cycling Stores seem to focus on MTB and Road and don't offer much direction in regard to what im looking for - even second hand if there is a market at all for them. I have found some but not worth my money.

Any feedback here would be appreciated  :)

Hi Bikehub :D

So just some background on myself - 23 years old, and have a really big Motocross background (about 8 years) and about 4 or so years of some BMX riding. The BMX riding included both street and dirt but mainly was time to spend time with mates and have a bit of fun off from Moto. Unfortunately though, I don't do either anymore. Haven't ridden a BMX in a couple years now :(

I have always had a proper interest in Slopestyle Mountain Biking and Downhill. They were both sports, in my opinion, that resonated with Motocross really well. From the style of riding, to the riders themselves and the culture surrounding the sport, it was always something I could relate to really well. I've followed the sport ever since - almost equally as closely as Moto.

So to fast-forward to today, I am dying to start riding some Slopestyle/Dirt again, but this time on a Hardtale :D

And this is where the questions come in:

How active is the sport in South Africa, but more specifically Gauteng? Riding alone SUCKS, I know that from experience. Even maybe some BMX groups that have some decent sized jumps they frequent?

How and where do I begin looking for the whips needed to start? All the Online Cycling Stores seem to focus on MTB and Road and don't offer much direction in regard to what im looking for - even second hand if there is a market at all for them. I have found some but not worth my money.

Any feedback here would be appreciated :)

Hi, welcome and enjoy your stay. That's about all I can say for now

Yo Yo

Sounds like you more into the Enduro / DH / DJ scene which is great cause you don't  ever want to be seen with lycra clinging to your body while smuggling budgies at a coffee shop  

Unfortunately you just missed out on the Hakahana  Enduro champs this past weekend @ Hakahana Trails  ( its based close to Harties dam / Geroteck) - you can find it on facebook under hakahana trails

Its about the best place to ride in Gauteng if you want the thrills of bombing down while hitting some gaps , jumps, railing some berms ect ect  - you still got to get to the top of the mountain but no one cares if push / walk and talk sh!t while getting there - really good bunch of guys and always some nice  riding to be done

This group on assbook is where allot of the guys post / ask who's riding where and also have allot of DH , Enduro and DJ bikes and parts for sale  :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/24917535701/

Regards Downhill - we have the Dustin Rudman Invitational  on the 3rd and 4th dec at graphite road / Helderkrain hill ( Roodepoort side)  - shuttle up and pinit down , would be good to come check out the scene and get involved if you want \ you  can register on the day with practice Saturday and race day Sunday - awesome vibes and plenty beer !! 

Regards DJ - cool  place is idlewild country estate  close to big red barn and then you also have Wolvespruit that has some decent jumps in PTA just off Rigel Ave -

im sure there are more but these 2 seem to be the most popular

anyways , hope you come right and get shredding asap !!

ask any questions on the assbook  page as everyone is helpful

Yo Yo

Sounds like you more into the Enduro / DH / DJ scene which is great cause you don't  ever want to be seen with lycra clinging to your body while smuggling budgies at a coffee shop  

Unfortunately you just missed out on the Hakahana  Enduro champs this past weekend @ Hakahana Trails  ( its based close to Harties dam / Geroteck) - you can find it on facebook under hakahana trails

Its about the best place to ride in Gauteng if you want the thrills of bombing down while hitting some gaps , jumps, railing some berms ect ect  - you still got to get to the top of the mountain but no one cares if push / walk and talk **** while getting there - really good bunch of guys and always some nice  riding to be done

This group on assbook is where allot of the guys post / ask who's riding where and also have allot of DH , Enduro and DJ bikes and parts for sale  :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/24917535701/

Regards Downhill - we have the Dustin Rudman Invitational  on the 3rd and 4th dec at graphite road / Helderkrain hill ( Roodepoort side)  - shuttle up and pinit down , would be good to come check out the scene and get involved if you want \ you  can register on the day with practice Saturday and race day Sunday - awesome vibes and plenty beer !! 

Regards DJ - cool  place is idlewild country estate  close to big red barn and then you also have Wolvespruit that has some decent jumps in PTA just off Rigel Ave -

im sure there are more but these 2 seem to be the most popular

anyways , hope you come right and get shredding asap !!

ask any questions on the assbook  page as everyone is helpful

That was far more feedback than I was expecting, thank you bro!

Definitely not interested in smuggling any budgies, glad im on the right track here! lol

Im going to jump on *assbook* soon and follow the page you recommended, hopefully I can pick up a decent whip there  :clap:

Im going to make a plan to spectate that next event, I reckon its the best way to scope the scene now.

Thanx again for the feedback, hopefully im shredding much sooner than later! Ill pop any questions I have onto the FB page.

Ill keep you all posted, hopefully we could meet up soon and bust out some jumps and trails!