MTB Tyres... Again

Halfdoesyn

Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35" and be done with it. Don't be tempted by the narrower options. They don't roll faster.

I have been thinking about this. I use the Ardent 2.25 up front and Ikon 2.2 back. Was thinking going the Ardent 2.35 front and Ikon 2.35 back but was worried about rolling slower. No such thing?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been thinking about this. I use the Ardent 2.25 up front and Ikon 2.2 back. Was thinking going the Ardent 2.35 front and Ikon 2.35 back but was worried about rolling slower. No such thing?

Nope. You'll roll faster cos there's more air volume, so the tyre will be able to conform to the terrain easier than the narrow tyre. It'll be heavier, yeah - so slower acceleration by just a tad. But in terms of rolling on trails - wider tyres are better

It will be slower because of heavier weight. I think the Ikon 2.35 will be nice as a front tyre paired with the Ikon 2.2 at the back. The Ikon rolls with a bit more resistance than the top xc tyres like the Ralph, Ron, RaceKing.

It will be slower because of heavier weight. I think the Ikon 2.35 will be nice as a front tyre paired with the Ikon 2.2 at the back. The Ikon rolls with a bit more resistance than the top xc tyres like the Ralph, Ron, RaceKing.

It'll accelerate slower, yes. But once up to speed wider tyres have less rolling resistance. Got nothing to do with weight. Weight only affects acceleration characteristics. 

Asking what tyres to put on your bike, you'll get as many answers as there are tyres.  Any racing tyre normally has a thinner side wall to save weight and the running service will be designed for less rolling resistance.  There is a price to pay for this because said tyres will lead to more chances of puncturing.

If you are not a racing snake and you are not riding to podium then use tyres that offers protection against punctures and sidewall cuts.  There is a very wide range available, pick two, put it on the bike and enjoy the ride.

Any person that has tested all types of tyres under all sorts of condition will be the right person to tell you which tyre is the best and I don't think there are too many of those people on here.

All I can add is once you find what you like, stick to it.

It'll accelerate slower, yes. But once up to speed wider tyres have less rolling resistance. Got nothing to do with weight. Weight only affects acceleration characteristics. 

Just keep in mind gravity is also acceleration. In the wrong direction if your going uphill.

Just keep in mind gravity is also acceleration. In the wrong direction if your going uphill.

Yeah, but it's still not rolling resistance. And honestly, we're talking 100g or so, here. Unless you're going for a DH tyre which weighs in excess of 800g and sometimes as much as 1.2kg. 

100g is not going to make a huge difference to average joe. 

`

Yeah, but it's still not rolling resistance. And honestly, we're talking 100g or so, here. Unless you're going for a DH tyre which weighs in excess of 800g and sometimes as much as 1.2kg. 

100g is not going to make a huge difference to average joe. 

Ja, I sweat more than that.

Thanks for all the input, I'm leaning towards the Barzo/Saguaro combo at present.

How are they rated as far as sidewall protection?

Every little pedal stroke is a little acceleration.

Nope. You'll roll faster cos there's more air volume, so the tyre will be able to conform to the terrain easier than the narrow tyre. It'll be heavier, yeah - so slower acceleration by just a tad. But in terms of rolling on trails - wider tyres are better

Awesome thanks

`

Thanks for all the input, I'm leaning towards the Barzo/Saguaro combo at present.

They have the TNT sidewall protection versions. The Vittoria tyres are good but tends to weigh a few g more.

Every little pedal stroke is a little acceleration.

yes, but again - once you're up to speed, the additional 100g on a wider tyre isn't going to make a difference. You are accelerating with every pedal stroke, it's true. But a heavier rim / tyre also has more inertia, so its forward movement will continue for longer than a lighter rim / wheel combo. 

Again - it doesn't enter into the rolling resistance side of things. And in this case, a wider / more voluminous tyre rolls with more efficiency than a narrower one, due to it being able to conform to the terrain better than a lower volume tyre. 

You're also starting to get very pedantic. Larger tyres roll more efficiently than smaller tyres. End of story. 

Don`t listen to them, weight actually does make a difference, especially in the wheels, where there is normal dead weight and rotating weight at play.

Edit: It`s about finding the right balance, on a xc bike weight in the wheels is more important than on a trail bike.

`

Okay, as far as I understand. I certainly haven't heard any complaints. Well, not many. 

Though if you're looking for something grippy, I'd really consider something burlier. Maybe the spaz ground control, which is a lot better suited for the tygerberg trails. It's also relatively cheap, comparatively. But you must go for the GRID casing, which has reinforced sidewalls.

Then there's the option of a Maxxis Aggressor, which is a properly aggressive XC tyre. 

Again - go for the higher volume tyres like a 2.3 / 2,35 / 2.4. 

Don`t listen to them, weight actually does make a difference, especially in the wheels, where there is normal dead weight and rotating weight at play.

I'd rate a tyre's toughness & grip levels far higher on the heirarchy of needs than weight.

Archived