Entry spec 29er vs Medium / Upper spec 26er?

Pieter the Batman

An important caveat that is often overlooked by those that recommend a high-spec 26er is that it is important to keep in mind that 2nd hand 26ers are generally a few years old and therefore oftentimes have the typical geometry from years past - short reach, steep head angle, high BB. This is especialy true for XC 26ers.

So, if you want to go the 26er route, make very sure about the bike in re sizing and so on. Spec, particularly on dual suspension bikes, can rarely change the nature of the type of bike.

There are good cases for all wheel sizes best thing go to some place like dirtopia and rent a entry level 29er or 650b and try it out and I am sure if you have your eye on a 26er I am sure the seller would let you test it. To me slacker head angle more travel is always a winner.

I ride 26 and 29 regularly. I would say if you ride slow (less than 15 k/h average) get the high end 26 er. If you are faster (18 to 20 plus) get the 29 er. You won't lose money on the 26 er if you buy one second hand. The discount is already built it with a second hand bike.

If you ride slower than 15 avg buy a 26er? I manage a 30+ avg with my 26er on the road with a 1×10 setup and 23+ on the trails. I don't see why you would need a 29er to do that. Any wheel size is capable if you are able

If you ride slower than 15 avg buy a 26er? I manage a 30+ avg with my 26er on the road with a 1×10 setup and 23+ on the trails. I don't see why you would need a 29er to do that. Any wheel size is capable if you are able

I also ride my 26 er pretty fast thanks.

Archived