The Classics

'Dale

And can I just say.. that Greipel I tell you I love watching what he gets up to at the classics.. where else do you see a pure sprinter go to the classics and try anything and everything he can not for himself but for his team..class act that guy

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bit of a chuckle at Gilbert's walk across the line, very unorthodox in today's peleton, reminded me a bit of "Dancing Dave Wright" who always danced across the line at Comrades, too many modern athletes take themselves too seriously.

'Gilbert’s ride was extraordinary. To go from that distance out and to have such a powerful group chasing and still hold them off, was just incredible. Circumstances did help him a little bit but you can’t take anything from his performance. It was monstrous. He left BMC but the change of team has given him a new motivation and he’s been aggressive since the start of the year. At Paris-Nice he was attacking in the horrible weather with 40-50km to go and he’s used that race as preparation for the Classics. Can he win all five Monuments? I think time is running out for him but maybe Paris-Roubaix is an easier one for him when compared to Milan-San Remo.'

Sean Kelly

Edited by 'Dale

"Given how I was riding and I had strong companions, so yes, I think I could have got back up to him, but destiny didn't want it."

Sagan, on chasing eventual winner PhilGil

I had a bit of a chuckle at Gilbert's walk across the line, very unorthodox in today's peleton, reminded me a bit of "Dancing Dave Wright" who always danced across the line at Comrades, too many modern athletes take themselves too seriously.

I think if he could pull a wheelie he would have done that. I think he wanted to show how much time he had in hand.

Has Gilbert retired yet? This should be his mic drop moment!

I doubt it, but it would be a damn side more than he would have got 10 years or so ago, I am presently reading a book about the running career of Allen Robb, one of the all time greats of the Fordyce era, he chuckles when he recalls how in 2009 the second place winner in Two Oceans got 75k, when he came second in Comrades he got a Tog bag.! :lol: 

How times have changed.  

I think if he could pull a wheelie he would have done that. I think he wanted to show how much time he had in hand.

Such a great win hey.

He savoured every moment of crossing the line

In perfect weather too.

Ha ha ha.. you don't like many things or people so it's cool.[emoji6]

The tension that is the spring classics lol

His wheelie at presentation was just a bit much for me. After that I really hoped QS would kick his arse.

There is a bit of fun. And then there is a bit of arrogance. Fine line.

Maybe I'm too fickle and too traditionalist.

This crossing over to cars adds nothing to bike racing. Like focussing on the coach at a rugby match when a try is scored.

"Given how I was riding and I had strong companions, so yes, I think I could have got back up to him, but destiny didn't want it."

Sagan, on chasing eventual winner PhilGil

Lol

Ifs and butt.. actually that whole article is rather good.. doesn't it start with.. It was my fault [emoji6]

If Boonen hadn't had that mechanical maybe they wouldn't have been able to get rid of him and he would've put a damper on the chase..or taken a free ride[emoji6]

Such a great win hey.

He savoured every moment of crossing the line

In perfect weather too.

Amazing how sport doesn't play to the agenda. His move was to soften it up for Tom. Tom had a mechanical and PG had the legs to finish it. With the help of the guys who put the barriers out.

Amazing how sport doesn't play to the agenda. His move was to soften it up for Tom. Tom had a mechanical and PG had the legs to finish it. With the help of the guys who put the barriers jackets out.

Amazing how sport doesn't play to the agenda. His move was to soften it up for Tom. Tom had a mechanical and PG had the legs to finish it. With the help of the guys who put the barriers out.

That's what makes it so cool

He was road captain and was protecting Boonen 

And the rest is history

Who the heck knows how the Hell Of The North is gonna pan out  :clap: