The Classics

'Dale

Would help if they actually had tactics too..going along for the ride is pointless.

Mine would be a simple one: get into the break. Or if Gibbons is racing try and get him in a position to challenge for a win.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine would be a simple one: get into the break. Or if Gibbons is racing try and get him in a position to challenge for a win.

Take Sunday for example.. everyone would've seen the weather forecast.. just get someone up there that when the split happens someone can jump.. they could've had some serious airtime had they had a rider in that group...it was a big name group and it was big enough for a long time to stay in it..if you can hang with Trentin/Sagan etc you will be mentioned..you will get exposure [emoji2368] Edited by Gen

Take Sunday for example.. everyone would've seen the weather forecast.. just get someone up there that when the split happens someone can jump.. they could've had some serious airtime had they had a rider in that group...it was a big name group and it was big enough for a long time to stay in it..if you can hang with Trentin/Sagan etc you will be mentioned..you will get exposure [emoji2368]

Sadly it's the DiData story for the year so far. Hard to know why they aren't doing that. And it's possible, but somewhat unrealistic, that the guys are still sick hence the DNF's but still it should be possible for one of them to get into the break.

Also wondering about what role exactly Ben King plays in the squad? Is he there to help Meintjies in the Grand Tours or should we be expecting him to make an appearance in the Ardennes teams.

the complete and utter abandonment of the idea of being Africa's Team.

I couldn't agree with this any more.

When I first heard about the "kenyan cycling project", it seemed like a not if but when. Essentially take the world's best marathon/endurance athletes and get them world class training/equipment/tactics.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/16/kenya-cycling-tour-de-france

but it never seemed to happen.

http://kenyanriderssafaricom.com/

hasn't been updated since 2017

I really really hoped that MTN/Q and then DDD could be the fast track for this.

They did try as well, and featured a fair amount of eritrean riders.

it hasn't seem to have worked.

we have berhane and teklahaimanot now on cofidis, kudus on astana, reguigui on a malaysian team.

the 2019 roster has one eritrean with a suitably unpronounceable name

one black south affican (nic dlamini) and seven white saffers.

the pro continental team seems to be a bit stillborn, but has almost more italians than africans anyway

https://www.procyclingstats.com/team/dimension-data-for-qhubeka-2019

on one hand, it is probably just the reality that cycling is a global game, europe is the powerhouse and that's just the way it's going to be for a long time. I can draw a comparison to SA cricket. CSA (the one who were corrupt enough to end up explaining themselves in parliament) would LOVE to get more Ntini's in the game. It's just not that simple, and the ones who have come through (Rabada/Ngidi) have ended up going through private schooling anyway - it is going to be a generational project getting black african cyclists to a grand Tour podium, and there aren't sponsors around who can commit to that. What this doesn't explain is how the french football team is full of players with african routes yet their cycling teams don't.

ps. I know this has nothing to do with the classics, but was on my mind!

They pay Cummings to sit at the back of the peloton.. you don't go to a one day race to sit at the back and add zero value.. I would bench him..give the spot to a youngster that actually still wants to race

Cav and crew should never had their contracts renewed.

When Cav's contract was extended they made it clear that he is not only there to race but also to play a wider leadership role within the team. We can only speculate but maybe he has something to do with the improvement shown by Gibbons in the sprints  so far this season?

When Cav's contract was extended they made it clear that he is not only there to race but also to play a wider leadership role within the team. We can only speculate but maybe he has something to do with the improvement shown by Gibbons in the sprints so far this season?

Doubtful.. Cav is sitting at home., Gibbons was already producing some really good results at last years Giro and the 2017 Giro..can't remember his other results..2017 Giro esp good for him with a number of top 10 results.

I'm a huge fan but beginning to think that they have had too much "bad luck" for it to be just bad luck.

I am, however, ever hopeful and will keep cheering for the boys and hope that whatever behind the scenes bull**** is causing all the bad luck gets sorted.

I'm a huge fan but beginning to think that they have had too much "bad luck" for it to be just bad luck.

I am, however, ever hopeful and will keep cheering for the boys and hope that whatever behind the scenes bull**** is causing all the bad luck gets sorted.

Indeed .....the sooner it gets sorted the better.... the last time I saw a BMC bike really flying was when Rohan Dennis smashed Dumoulin in the world TT's last year. 

The politics within DiData Pro Cycling must be very interesting

It’s not looking good ????

Edited by 'Dale

you can say that again!

RvV podium

MvdP

Naesen

Sagan

(Completing top 5, Trentin & PhilGil)

:huh:

Interesting picks there.

RvV podium

MvdP

Naesen

Sagan

Alaphalippe

Saganotor

Wout

Not my fav but that Frenchman is strong

Edited by Jensie

RvV podium

MvdP

Naesen

Sagan

Wouldn't mind seeing either of Oli or Yves winning RVV. Especially since both are Belgians and come across as terrific people as well. Wouldn't mind seeing any of the top Belgians taking part in the race winning it tbh. Other than a winner from the Belgian contingent I wouldn't mind either one of Sagan or Stybar winning.

Interesting picks there.

Indeed but also lots of class and talent too in Dale's picks.

Alaphalippe

Saganotor

Wout

Not my fav but that Frenchman is strong

Allaphilipe is not riding Flanders.