Pretoria to Knysna

Rob Mortimer

Planning a bike packing adventure from Pretoria to Knysna.  The Missus is a little concerned about my safety so I am going to try and get a tracker but have also decided to see if I can find anyone to join me ........ for all or just parts of the route.

Current thinking is to leave 04:00 from Pretoria on Sun 11 December. Route at this stage looks something like this:

• Day 1:  Pretoria to Heilbron (182km - B&B accommodation)
  • Day 2:  Heilbron to Clocolan (211km - Camping on Ben Nevis Farm)
  • Day 3:  Clocolan to Smithfield (198km - B&B accommodation)
  • Day 4:  Smithfield to Hofmeyr (219km - B&B accommodation)
  • Day 5:  Hofmeyr to Jansenville (222km - B&B accommodation)
  • Day 6:  Jansenville to Uniondale (192km - possibly camp but means extra 30km)
  • Day 7:  Uniondale to Knysna (87km)

Aiming to try cycle 10 hours a day with two hours a day allocated to eating/sight seeing/photo's etc. Not sure how realistic this is as it means most days I need to average around and even over 20km/hr.  My biggest concern at this stage is having adequate water so going to take a 3L Camelback. I will only have lighter, stove, torch, food and water in the Camelback - a survival kit, if you will. If I can't find another camping spot I might just abandon the idea of camping for this trip as it is a bit silly dragging all the camping kit along for one night (the farm where I planned to camp has chalets available as well).

Still need to do:

• Work out how to get the daily Google map tracks onto my GPS (will hopefully sort out this week);
  • Borrow a saddle bag and handle bar roll, pack and practice a bit with it (have approached someone just need to tie it all up)
  • Try to identify more camping options - at least one or two more nights

Anybody interested or who can offer route advice/tips, please PM me and we can then swap numbers and chat further

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great trip, something I might consider at a later stage so please post a write up if you do go ahead with this.

The route sounds doable, similar to the Munga in distance.

Good luck

Really cool trip!

If I was around Pta that time of the year I would have been keen to join.

Your distances per day seems a bit high, but I guess that all depends on how mich you carry, and how strong you are.

Enjoy!

Also keen to hear what bike you will be using.

Maybe look into panniers, if you havent thought of it.

You could get some bar mounted water bottles like the use on Triathlon TT bikes, would give another 2L of water possibly.

Go for it.

You know your limits. It seems massive. Nearly 200ks per day.

Others would always be concerned. It's actually our own subconscious fear. Ignore it and have fun.

BTW: just the other side of Uniondale, on the way to Knysna, is a place called Angela's Gspot. You cannot go past this place. Beautiful people. Great food. And cold beer. You can camp here or stay in their basic accommodation. They have a pig that will lick your feet. And a lovely stream flowing past. You may even decide to stay longer. The wife runs the show. The husband has a long white beard and an off road bike fanatic. ????

I forgot to add. This is if you do Prince Alfred Pass http://www.uniondale.co.za/route/prince_alfreds_pass

Angela's Gspot http://www.angiesgspot.co.za/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by johanhorak

Riding my Salsa spearfish, 1 x 10 (34/11-40). Considered getting the spider and double chainring but just don't have the tom for it at the moment.

Bike can take 2 full sized bottles

Not sure what the weight is going to be yet ....... the kit list is rather intimidating at this stage

Angelas spot sounds perfect, thanks.

A couple of years ago I spend my December cycling through Madagascar.

I went with panniers, etc; but severly underestimated how bad the roads would be. After I couple of days I dumped loads of my stuff and cut down to the real essentials. Best thing I could have done on that trip.

So, my advice; unless you're traveling on really good roads, travel light. It would make the trip so much more enjoyable.

I'm an idiot ..... using my Salsa El Mar hardtail

Not sure if I am strong, pretty damn stubborn though

Couple of 100km's further than munga but I have 2 days more to get it done ????????

The daily mileage seems a bit high.

A hard day followed by an easier day would be a better option in my opinion.

Also would be very boring if done solo, 3-5 guys and it can be great fun.

Good luck.

I would really like to join you but the timing in terms of dates would get me an instant divorce at this stage. I have a satellite tracker as well and a spare saddle bag, you could borrow these from me if you either change your dates to sometime next year or just include me on your next trip!

Name is on the list for the next trip!

I would really like to join you but the timing in terms of dates would get me an instant divorce at this stage. I have a satellite tracker as well and a spare saddle bag, you could borrow these from me if you either change your dates to sometime next year or just include me on your next trip!

Distance concerns noted. To be honest I have no idea what is realistic on reasonably decent roads

I am not fixed on the route so can still play around and your principle of a rest day makes sense

The daily mileage seems a bit high.

A hard day followed by an easier day would be a better option in my opinion.

Also would be very boring if done solo, 3-5 guys and it can be great fun.

Good luck.

Sounds like fun. Did a trip in the Free state once. We only did around 100km each day. Stretch from Heilbron to clocalan is quite hilly so plan for that aswell, I would rather just go till clarens. There is a oversees website, where people register and offer housing to people who travel with bikes and there is housing on there for South Africa aswell. I put a tribar on my bike and strapped my sleeping bag and clothing ontop and beneath it.