Worth going to an e-bike (pedal assist)?

AllAboutRides

People should be free to get themselves an e-bike and enjoy it and if they feel it suits their needs.

HOWEVER, some rules should apply:

1. They should be used in races in a class of their own or however the race organisers/CSA/UCI/ANC deems appropriate for their participation in a race;
  2. Rides in Strava should be marked as being done on an e-bike; and
  3. If they are unwelcome on certain trails, the riders of e-bikes should respect that.

More and more peeps are going to be on e-bikes. Unlike fat bikes, they're not a fad and are here to stay. Best make your peace.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you confirm this 100%?

If the PPA allowed this to happen, even though it is explicitly against the rules, there will be a problem with them knowingly putting other riders lives at risk.

I would love to hear the justification, if this is in fact true.

Maybe we take it back to the DC thread?

Ok, https://goo.gl/rI4hdq

:D

e-bikes have already been making an appearance at KZN races not sure if organisers are allowing them to ride officially but some very very big riders passing on the big climbs without breaking a sweat,

i was enjoying a 20 km ride...where the 20 and 40 km riders met i thought i would have some fun and chased one of the 40 km riders up a hill...i was maxed out at 190 + bpm  and as you said the fella wasnt even working up a sweat...as i turned at the top i heard some youngster shouting he is cheating he has an ebike...i felt much better ;)

If they are unwelcome on certain trails, the riders of e-bikes should respect that.

just this part of your response i dont agree with...the reason ...it will be more frustrating for an ebike at the back trying to pass and slower riders who choose to ride and ebike wont hold up the single track and narrow paths...especially up hills....less need for shouting "track" 

I think if there is a E-Bike category in races (Trailseeker; Die Burger ect) it shouldn't be a problem. 

I think it would be stupid for a guy / woman on an e-bike trying to keep up with pro's.....wpuld be quite funny actually. LOL ;-)

For strava...yes there will be a lot of strava junkies that will be pissed off but them strava themselves should create a filter tab to filter out ebike rides? Just a suggestion and everyone will be happy okes again.

I'm all for an E-bike participation in events that are not timed like the Greyton MTB Tour, Houw Hoek Tour etc.

I'd sell the S-Works, buy a decent XT / X9 specced midrange bike for stage races and riding with mates on a weekend and then have the Levo for the fun days / commuting / sweeping in events / for the wife to come along / to tow my toddler in a buggy on some gravel grinds, etc.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea.....but....then the search for a midrange bike start again....hahaha! 

we could see a bit of fine tuning...tweaking and chips installed to make them faster ;) with a battery that size...you could add some wicked tunes with a decent sub ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hahahaha!!!! The only way I can afford one is by selling my S-W

post-1199-0-69939000-1475589510_thumb.jpg
post-1199-0-68720200-1473348271_thumb.jpg

orks epic

or otherwise, you can MODIFY an S-Works, like I did!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Zebra

best mate rode my Spec S-Woks alu 26"er 3 or 4 times, loved it, and so went to ride the R75-80K Spec electric bike, andn he thought my R19K had a good degree more functionality, and has decided to retro-fit one of his old Spec's with a e-motor, too!

Chris

In the current and 2017 CSA MTB rules, eBikes will not be permitted at any sanctioned races. Even running a seperate category is a problem and results in all kinds of issues at the event. Even when the rider comes 175th in the fun category rider 176 will have an issue about loosing to an eBike. 

There is a place for the eBikes for commuting or having a slower partner keep up in touring and and social rides, but do not see any race applications in the next few years.   

hey gents. If you dont mind me weighing in a little. I own one. I am not here to debate its place in the cycling world, however I would like to show you a quick comparison and highlight that you definitely get a workout on a pedal assist bike.

These strava stats will speak for itself. You will see that these rides are almost exactly the same. the one faster, further, harder... I ride quite a bit, so I am not unfit or slow really... I am not a pro either ;)

PS, I love it :)

Im getting the popcorn :)

post-15611-0-47219200-1482490336_thumb.png

post-15611-0-28032500-1482490343_thumb.png

post-15611-0-64485100-1482490349_thumb.png

post-15611-0-38118400-1482490351_thumb.png

Edited by badiejb

Why would you want to do a race on an e-bike anyway, unless you want the unfair advantage? I assume it should be more for the funride purpose than actual racing. Same applies to Strava. I am never going to get a KOM on Strava, but find it very interesting to compare me to myself as well as others in my age/weight category. Strava becomes nonsense when you add e-bikes.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for using an e-bike to reach places previously difficult to get to due to distance/rider ability, commuting and lots of other reasons. They are LOADS of fun to ride and also useful as a sweeper bike for group rides where one can actually turn around to fetch and push a slower rider than just wait for them like in the past (we found out on a recent demo day).

If I had the finances, I would have liked to own both a "normal" bike and an e-bike to be able to play on different playgrounds.

hey gents. If you dont mind me weighing in a little. I own one. I am not here to debate its place in the cycling world, however I would like to show you a quick comparison and highlight that you definitely get a workout on a pedal assist bike.

These strava stats will speak for itself. You will see that these rides are almost exactly the same. the one faster, further, harder... I ride quite a bit, so I am not unfit or slow really... I am not a pro either ;)

PS, I love it :)

Im getting the popcorn :)

GREAT STUFF!!!! In a perfect world I would like to have my current bike and still getting an Levo

As long as you're not racing for position, it shouldn't be a problem. 

Where is the line between mechanical doping (ebikes) and medical doping in amateur sport?