XTR Pedals - keep on failing

JannievanZyl

Well I never use (or have used) a high pressure cleaner on my bike nor did my XTR pedals get any worse treatment that other XT's I have used (or even the cheap entry level ones) which have never failed like this.

And this failure has been going on for years with XTR pedals so whatever the details, surely its a design flaw and there should have been a recall or some redress from Shimano.

Agreed. Stopped using XTR pedals because they failed so frequently. Been using XT for 2yyears now without any issues.

Interestingly, i also upgraded my brakes from xt (M785) to XTR (M985/9000) and am absolutely unimpressed. Significantly less stopping power and modulation...but they do look terrific ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I never use (or have used) a high pressure cleaner on my bike nor did my XTR pedals get any worse treatment that other XT's I have used (or even the cheap entry level ones) which have never failed like this.

And this failure has been going on for years with XTR pedals so whatever the details, surely its a design flaw and there should have been a recall or some redress from Shimano.

Since the XTR shafts and bearings are smaller diameter they are almost certainly less robust. Lightweight for racing = higher cost for less reliability.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've been riding Shimano XTR pedals for years, but have to agree that the current design is rubbish and don't understand how the clever chaps back in Japan have not jet sorted the issues. The previous generation XTR pedal was perfect. I myself have gone over to one of the other brands.

Must say I have never had an issue with my XTR pedals, use them on two bikes and they seem bullet proof. On the other hand the XTR brakes on the one bike don't come close to the XT brakes on the other bike. The XTR may be as light as sh*t but they sure don't stop like the XT brakes! 

Aren't XTR pedals made of a lighter metal? Could be why that's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't XTR pedals made of a lighter metal? Could be why that's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main shafts are steel as in other pedals but of smaller diameter and the body is alu. The other main difference is that the body cover appears to be titanium instead of stainless or chrome plated steel.

I suspect the smaller shaft and bearing diameter is the main cause of problems

btw the XTR clip plates still rust, one would think that at the price point XTR is at, they could be Ti (lighter and wont rust) Whatever skimping they did with XTR internally has resulted in premature failures , and its been like that for years

Pedals should be fit & forget, if I want to tinker I would buy crank bros

After reading this thread i decided to open my 2 yr old XT pedals to see what condition they're in and do a general service.

They still look like new.

Obviously the seals work perfectly and no water gets in.

Go XT pedals!!

Both XT and XTR have cup and cone bearings using same size 3/32" balls.

Off topic. But where can you get 3/32" balls in Cape Town?

(I have a pair of pedal's in the garage that need some - another brand, not Shimano).

Off topic. But where can you get 3/32" balls in Cape Town?

(I have a pair of pedal's in the garage that need some - another brand, not Shimano).

My LBS (KZN) keeps various Shimano ballbearing sizes.

They are not easy to find, probably best to buy off eBay. I was looking for them about a year ago, bearing shops dudes thought I was mal when I asked for 3/32. Local bike shops also couldn't help me.

Sort of Off Topic, but I just serviced my XT pedals. I am lank impressed with how easy and effective it is. I had a bit of play in the one pedal, three spanners and a blob of grease later and the play is gone while the pedals are buttery smooth again.

If the XTR follow the same process then I'll gladly get a pair of XTR and just service it every couple of weeks.

Actually, I want to find the tool to service my other bikes' m520 pedals as well.

I dont use the xtr pedals but have xtr everything else and there is no issue with any of the other parts. I dont like shimano spd pedals anyway. I prefer LOOK or Time and have had zero issues other than some worn cleats on my Look Quartz causing some unwanted play.

The xtr stuff is not worth the money for Joe average anyway and there nothing wrong with XT or Slx but don't compare weight with XX1 and eagle etc etc.

I just bust my non-drive side XTR pedal this morning.  It stripped off the axle when I took my bike out of the car at Thaba.

Big thumbs up to Wendell for loaning me a pair for the day. :thumbup:

I've had my drive side replaced under warranty, so now it's time for the non-drive side.  (XTR has longer warranty than XT, which is the only plus.)

• 1 month later...

This is my second set of XTR pedals that broke like this. Pretty much the end of your ride when this happens. Not very confidence inspiring. :(

Anyone else seeing this on these pedals and can it be repaired?

attachicon.gifXTR-1.jpg

attachicon.gifXTR-2.jpg

So what happened? Did you get a new set through warranty? 

PD540 and XT are by far the best performing value for money in the shimano range otherwise go Look S-Track

Archived