Advice Needed On 1 x 10 Drivetrain

Andrew_Smith

Great idea , then go do the same route you did yesterday and compare the two.

Exactly my thought. But my legs... Not recovered yet, so will do the same route this weekend with fresh legs. :)

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What size wheels?

Your 34t chainring with standard 11-36 chainring makes things quite tough on a 29er but should be OK for a 26 inch bike.

Your cheapest fix is to go back to 2x10. Next cheapest is to change to a 32t chainring but if on a 29er this will still be tough on the hills and you will spin out quicker. You really need a wider range cassette.

You cant convert an SLX 10spd cassette with a range extender because it doesn't have a separately removable 15t or 17t cog to make space for a 40t/42t cog.

So if budget is tight go back to 2x10 until your current chain and cassette are worn out. In the meantime save for a wide range 10 speed cassette like the Sunrace and a pair of new chains to go with. It is cheaper than buying a new XT cassette and converting it with a range extender cog.

You can also start saving for a 1x11 SLX conversion kit. This will cost more but comes with a new Shifter, RD, chain and 11-40 or 11-42 cassette. The SLX M7000 GS RD can also accommodate the new 11-46 XT cassette but avoid the long cage M7000 (SLX) RD as it is for the SLX 3x systems which remain 10 speed.

I went the range extender route when I converted to 1x10 because I already had a lightly used XT cassette that was suitable for conversion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi JXV, I ride a Scott Scale 940 (29er). Yeah, it was quite tough... But can I blame my fitness maybe too? Atlas I do not climb so often and need to work more on it. My dad just mentioned it to me last night. 

I wish 2 x 10 was my cheapest option, but now it is looking to be a new chainring up front because I need to pay my friend for the two chainrings + labor cost. But will definitely start saving for a new cassette and will switch back to my 34T then.

Let's say 1 x 11 only a dream for my current income (pocket money).  :D

Thanks for the advice bud.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Hi JXV, I ride a Scott Scale 940 (29er). Yeah, it was quite tough... But can I blame my fitness maybe too? Atlas I do not climb so often and need to work more on it. My dad just mentioned it to me last night.

I wish 2 x 10 was my cheapest option, but now it is looking to be a new chainring up front because I need to pay my friend for the two chainrings + labor cost. But will definitely start saving for a new cassette and will switch back to my 34T then.

Let's say 1 x 11 only a dream for my current income (pocket money). :D

Thanks for the advice bud.

Even if you were fitter and stronger your legs would last longer if you could spin at a good cadence instead of mashing the pedals at slow cadence in a hard gear

Edited by JXV

This advice not workable with the OPs SLX cassette which does not have removable 15t or 17t cogs.

It's doable, you just need a hacksaw.

Not ideal, but then cassette extenders are always a bit of a bodge IMHO.

Yeah I wasn't counting the hacksaw bodge when I wrote that. [emoji3] Not my style.

My 10spd XT cassette worked perfectly with a Kalbo extender and 16t replacement. What eventually failed was the rivets holding the middle cogs to the spider - they came loose and started affecting shifts. I got about 7000km from that cassette.

This advice not workable with the OPs SLX cassette which does not have removable 15t or 17t cogs.

Sorry my bad, thought it was just the deore that was not removable.

IMHO 1x10 is a bit of a bodge.  The 10 speed rear derailleur was never designed to work with a 40 or 42 tooth cog.  I rode a while with 1x10 and the poor shifting was tiresome.  I am now riding 1x11 and love it, 32 tooth oval chainring and 11-42 cassette.  Rode today with 2 guys riding 3x10 and they walked up more hills than I did. :)

Yeah I wasn't counting the hacksaw bodge when I wrote that. [emoji3] Not my style.

My 10spd XT cassette worked perfectly with a Kalbo extender and 16t replacement. What eventually failed was the rivets holding the middle cogs to the spider - they came loose and started affecting shifts. I got about 7000km from that cassette.

IMHO 1x10 is a bit of a bodge.  The 10 speed rear derailleur was never designed to work with a 40 or 42 tooth cog.  I rode a while with 1x10 and the poor shifting was tiresome.  I am now riding 1x11 and love it, 32 tooth oval chainring and 11-42 cassette.  Rode today with 2 guys riding 3x10 and they walked up more hills than I did. :)

Try a proper wide range cassette - Praxis or Sunrace - and you'll see that they actually do work quite well. Way better in terms of spacing and shifting than the modified versions.

I recently went from 2x10 to 1x11 and I like it.

30T up front and an 11/46 on the rear. I seldom use the 46 but it's there if I need it.

It's a nice spread of gears and I find myself riding up inclines where I previously pushed.

Speed on the flats is around 45kmh. For my style of riding I don't need to go faster.

BTW I have a new 32T raceface 104 BCD ( Red) chainring looking for a new home, I will accept any reasonable offer.

Try a proper wide range cassette - Praxis or Sunrace - and you'll see that they actually do work quite well. Way better in terms of spacing and shifting than the modified versions.

He did. See post #22.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I would rather get a wide range Rapidé Sunrace 11-42 cassette and keep the 34T chain ring. Better range than the 11-36 and more even spread than slapping an extender on. I'm sure your rear derailleur will handle the range since it came off a 2X.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The only problem in stopping me from doing this is my money... If I had more money I would have gone for it, but the 30T is more affordable for me.

I'm glad you managed to find more money in less than 24hours. Well done. I wish you many awesome rides with the new cassette.

I'm glad you managed to find more money in less than 24hours. Well done. I wish you many awesome rides with the new cassette.

Yeah, about that... I needed to sell something. Thanks man! Really amped to go ride this weekend again, same track/route.

#wheelerdealer