Solution found for vibrating brakes

Johnny 55

Hi people, I finally got my vibrating back brake sorted. After 2 bike shops, caliper overhaul, new rotor, new pads, sanding, etc. I bought new sram brakes yesterday and installed them & the problem was stil there, when I pull back brake the whole bike vibrates. I removed most of the spacers between calliper & calliper bracket so that when.I turn the wheel the rotor doesnt touch the calliper.

By removing the spacers the calliper dropped a bit and it works perfect now. All thus time there was to much pad sticking out, but now its great.

Hope this can help someone.

Hi people, I finally got my vibrating back brake sorted. After 2 bike shops, caliper overhaul, new rotor, new pads, sanding, etc. I bought new sram brakes yesterday and installed them & the problem was stil there, when I pull back brake the whole bike vibrates. I removed most of the spacers between calliper & calliper bracket so that when.I turn the wheel the rotor doesnt touch the calliper.

By removing the spacers the calliper dropped a bit and it works perfect now. All thus time there was to much pad sticking out, but now its great.

Hope this can help someone.

Jeez bud, sounds like you struggled with this one. Glad you got it sorted

Who installed the brake incorrectly in the first place?

I dont know. bought it second hand. but im glad that its finally its sorted. sonetimes you have to learn the hardway it seems.

2 bike shops and a caliper overhaul and a new rotor (presumably suggested by the bike shops?).....I'd go and ask for my money back and return all the unnecessary goods.

The one thing you really needed from the LBS - expertise - was not supplied but they sure charged you for the illusion of providing it....

Unless they are the cup-and-cone alignment washers used as standard for some older Shimano and Avid brakes you shouldn't need them. If you do its a sign of mismatch between the adapter and the disc size.

There a quite a number different rotor diameters around. 140, 160, 170, 180, 185, 200, 203......and people tend to mix and match adapters.

If you feel the need to add a spacer washer or two in order to align the caliper radially its a sign that your adapter and disc sizes are mismatched

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 bike shops and a caliper overhaul and a new rotor (presumably suggested by the bike shops?).....I'd go and ask for my money back and return all the unnecessary goods.

Agreed. That's a straight up RTFM error. I'd have a chat with the shop owners if I were you.

im just glad its sorted out now. just dont know why they never picked up where the problem was.last night I got this idea to take some spacers out and finally problem solved.

glad you got sorted ... I would have just used some Q20 on the pads and rotors .... this is joke guys

Good tip when looking at a 2nd hand bike , ask to take out the pads even a little misalignment will show up quick on the pad

I had a similar problem with my Scott when I got it. Those little spacers and half round washers were in wrong and the pad/disc weren't aligned optimally. To be honest, I should have seen the warning signs when I too replaced pads because I thought they were the issue and when I took them out they had not worn flat. Ridge left on the outside.

Oh well, live and learn. Glad you sorted.

I live by the BDF cycling pledge. One day. Every day. #9Rules

Yes its been a expensive story so far.But I think after a year or so I will be able to strip and build a bike. Cheers guys, enjoy the weekend.

Using a washer or 2 to get a calliper sitting perfectly over the rotor on a slightly small brake mount is fine, I've done it on 2 separate set of brakes with no issues, this situation seems like washers were used where they were not needed. Using washers if done correctly isn't a trains smash

OP were the washers lifting the calliper to far off of the rotor, ie the top edge of the pad was above the edge of the rotor?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi skylark sorry for replying so late. yes exactly what your saying is what happened. not even the bike shops could figure it out. im just glad to finally have normal non vibrating brakes.

Archived