Bottelary MTB trail

Nieldt1702

I want to ride the Bottelary trail tomorrow. Looks like the easiest and earliest to get a temp permit to be on the trail at sunrise is Zevenwacht?

From the map on the website it looks as if one can do a circular route of approx 35 km's. Is the trail well marked and one way only?

Anything else from the regulars to keep in mind?

It is an amazing trail to do, and have had lots of fun on it before.  Quick Question have they updated some of the sign boards?  There was one or two that were a bit faded in December when we were there, but luckily I knew the route well.

I want to ride the Bottelary trail tomorrow. Looks like the easiest and earliest to get a temp permit to be on the trail at sunrise is Zevenwacht?

From the map on the website it looks as if one can do a circular route of approx 35 km's. Is the trail well marked and one way only?

Buying a permit at Engen Soneike and starting your ride from Hazendal will cut out one big climb from Zevenwacht and will let you finish your ride with one of the best single track sections on the route.

From Hazendal - go out of the gate, cross the tar road and turn right.  Entrance to the route is 70 meters further down to your left - look for pink arrows.  Follow pink arrows to where it links with the green route.  Follow green route till where it meets with red on top  of Kaapzicht Killer (big climb!).  Turn left following the red arrows and stay on red all the way around till you meet up again with green about 20 km later.  Follow green back home to Hazendal - wiil give a ride of about 40 km and just under 3 hours, depending on how fit you are.  If you want a longer ride with more singletrack, then also ride the blue and yellow routes on the Stellenbosch side.  Both split from the red route and link up again with the red route.  Most of the splits will also have signs directing you back  the different starting points.

I will be at Hazendal at 5.45 am tomorrow morning to start riding at 6 am -  we will be riding all the different route options.   You are welcome to start with us and I will get you onto the correct route - if our pace is okay for you, you are welcome to ride with us.   Just look for a bike with a bright yellow MARSHAL bike-board.   

Edited by dirtman

We went there 3  week ago .. lots of trail markers missing/hidden behind vines or pols removed from ground on red route. We got lost twice.  At least we got another 5km of riding in  :)  (If dogs start chasing you, you at wrong place)

Would recommend you go with someone that been there or follow other riders.

Edited by Karman de Lange

Rather go do Jonkers or Welavanpas, and thank me later.

Trail markers are a mess. 

Unless you know all the routes by the palm of your hand, you'll end up riding up and down and confused as hell. As a local backyard trail I suppose it's ok...but not if you're going to have to travel to there.

Plus the last time I was there a section was closed off (due to fires), with no other markers to re-route a person or to give an indication of potential distance.

The single track isn't mind blowing, and possibly not worth the effort of riding through vineyards the whole day...and that Kaapzicht Killer hill should be renamed to something like Bieber-hill or whatever...who cares.

Edited by stefmeister

I have probably done it 3 times in recent months, always a joy.  I have picked up the permit at the Engin, dropped the car at Zevenwacht and hit the climb.  It is probably over 140m you start off with, but the rewards is so nice with hitting geelslang ST.  The again ending with mongoose is also not a bad idea.

EISH fellows,  there is nothing wrong with the markers.  Just note that they are on the posts along the trails (in other words they are not 2meters tall smack bang in the middle of the road/trails.)   Whenever there is a possibility of turning any direction - look around for a sign (arrow) on a wooden post.

If you don't keep your eyes open , you will miss them, just like on any other trail. But they are there and they are clear.

Furthermore, look at the map and just get an idea of the routes/layout/section names before you go wildly onto the trails..

Regarding the closed closed section - yes there is a section closed and the guys will fix that in due course, but is a tiny piece of trail compared to the rest of the route available. AND there are big arrow board placed to show you the little detour.  (but some guys still break the danger tape and insist on going the wrong way (!?)

Bottelary is without doubt one of the best trails for the good and many single track sections, near CT. and a full loop will leave a mega smile on your face.

(Welvanpas (best is white/yellow/black) , Tygerberg (best is hoogekraal) and Rheebokskloof are the only others in the general area that have really good fun flowing track.

Simonsberg has a bit but its awkward to string the sections together to get a really long days ride (But a must do is adding the Never say Never trail to your route plan  !!)

For the most single track, with variety - in one long ride for the day, nothing beats Bottelary.

Anyway - there is another thread dedicated to Bottelary - no need to expand here.

Rode all the different route options this morning to check the route markers.  Found one pole that was down on the red route, but it has no effect on staying on the route  - there is a well defined path to follow.

Rest of the markers were all in place, so I am not sure how riders manage to get lost.  The markers are there, you must just look for them.  Also, at the splits there are maps and signs explaining the options (see examples).  At various points the route back to the different starting points are also posted.

The only signs that are a problem, are the big maps at the entrances that are faded.  They will be replaced this year.

post-4890-0-75060100-1485006921_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-93373700-1485006933_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-13780300-1485006944_thumb.jpg

Rode all the different route options this morning to check the route markers.  Found one pole that was down on the red route, but it has no effect on staying on the route  - there is a well defined path to follow.

Rest of the markers were all in place, so I am not sure how riders manage to get lost.  The markers are there, you must just look for them.  Also, at the splits there are maps and signs explaining the options (see examples).  At various points the route back to the different starting points are also posted.

The only signs that are a problem, are the big maps at the entrances that are faded.  They will be replaced this year.

We were 2 and could not find the markers , even my wife that did the short yellow route said they struggled as a lot of the signs was behind vines and difficult to see.

People forget that if you know where/what to look for, then its easy to find them , but if you never done the route before its really difficult . We often rode up down a few times to try find the route markers with no luck.  We then either waited for another rider or tried to find the route on the garmin.

Trails are very good, next time we will know what to look for and be much more fun .. I will still suggest go do first time with someone that done it before

it's almost as if you insult people when you say you missed a sign on a trail.  

it is easier if you know what to look for and maybe stalk a few people on strava.  i also missed a few turn offs the first time.  still can't find how to get onto the trail from overgaauw.  went back onto the road as i didn't want to rogue ride.

Posers hoek? Well if you're a poser then I guess it's fine.

That's not a very grown up reply.

Some people like Jonkers for the trails. Not to be seen. If you want to ride wilder trails that is the place to go. None of them are better, they are just different.

Onthou, een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou.

Fortunately we don't all lime the same type of trails. MTB would be pretty boring if it all was the same.