Att Ladies! What women specific bike?

RaceChick

normally they are?pink or baby blue with cheaper componentsWink

Mine is gun metal colour and components are X-O and XTR.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RACE CHICK,

I had a wsd trek, and it was awesome. I upgraded now to a Felt Dual Sus, which is not a WSD but because my Set up is done proparly I have no problems. To be honest, My Felt is more comfy than my trek. Not that I can compare bacause the Trek was a hardtail. I dont think that WSD is a must!

Just do a good set up and make sure that your wheels are pumped to the right pressure.Wink

Attention Ladies

I was just wondering how many women ride women specific bikes? Does it make a huge difference? What women specific bike is best to buy? Are there ladies out there that have imported a bike bacause they have not found what they are looking for here or are we on par with the rest of the world?

Racechick, I've never ridden a womens specific bike. There are plenty of bikes on the market that are very comfortable. I have long legs and short body, which is quite typical for women, and ride a bike with a sloping top bar. Go to a good store and see someone who can set a bike up properly for you. It really is a matter of trying out different frame types and seeing what best suits you.

I will definately recommend a Selle Italia Gel saddle for women, though!
fiasm2008-05-16 05:35:15

Attention Ladies

I was just wondering how many women ride women specific bikes? Does it make a huge difference? What women specific bike is best to buy? Are there ladies out there that have imported a bike bacause they have not found what they are looking for here or are we on par with the rest of the world?

Racechick' date=' I've never ridden a womens specific bike. There are plenty of bikes on the market that are very comfortable. I have long legs and short body, which is quite typical for women, and ride a bike with a sloping top bar. Go to a good store and see someone who can set a bike up properly for you. I will definately recommend a Selle Italia Gel saddle for women, though!
[/quote']

Yeah, The right Set up, Saddle and wheel pressure can make a world of difference!

normally they are pink or baby blue with cheaper componentsWink

You see, cheaper components. Wink

normally they are pink or baby blue with cheaper componentsWink

You see' date=' cheaper components. Wink

[/quote']

I had a Pink Trek Hardtail with Sram X-0....

Nie altyd nie.

But not all woman are hardcore, they actually suck at MTB, so I think thats why they attract those woman with pretty colours.

But I agree, my new bike is Black and White with XT. It was a much better deal that a WSD Full Sus!
Ane Gouws2008-05-16 05:20:56

WSD is a market hype.  THe idea being that women have longer legs and shorter torsa's than men of the same height.  So ergo the frame is shorter than the "normal" geometry.  However, this does not mean that you have legs all the way to heaven, and can climb on a WSD bike straight away.  Rather get a proffesional to measure you up.  Get a good idea of your reach (more important than stand over height), and buy accordingly.  (THis will give you a more  proffesional look with a high saddle.)

I've been riding for 7 years, never on a WSD, but through curisity i checked them out.

I think if you are short (in guys terms) and a Small is still too big for you, then look at the women's bikes. shorter cranks, top tube, and diff geometry. So possibly beneficialy if you are tiny.

I am 1.70m tall, no point in looking woman's secifc!!

They are generally prettier (in girls terms!)

I investigated the Felt woman's specific (advertised in the February - I think - Bicycling mag) and they haven't even gone into production because there was not a great enough demand at the time.

What they say about WSD bikes makes sense - women have shorter upper bodies and longer legs in relation to men - but I've cycled for years and am comfy on my bikes.  Don't think I could be more comfy/have a better ride on a WSD bike.

Racechick, a good LBS will let you take the bike for a spin around the parking lot.  Why don't you go try one out (if you can find a LBS that has one in the right size in stock) and let us know what you think?

Another place where they are different is they sometimes have the Shimano short reach brake levers for smaller hands.

Guest Michelle

RaceChick: I'm thinking of selling my Trek Madone 5.2 WSD 51cm...

Full carbon with Dura Ace triple groupset, bontrage race lite wheels, good condition, no crashes or anything like that...

http://www.togoparts.com/items/images/item-lg-1130728495.jpg
Michelle2008-05-16 05:40:06

Another place where they are different is they sometimes have the Shimano short reach brake levers for smaller hands.

'para ..

is it only ultegra, or do you get other versions as well of the short reach brake?

RaceChick: I'm thinking of selling my Trek Madone 5.2 WSD 51cm...

Full carbon with Dura Ace triple groupset' date=' bontrage race lite wheels, good condition, no crashes or anything like that...

http://www.jejamescycles.com/reviews/images/trekMadone5.2WSD.jpg
[/quote']

Hey, you better not be giving up cycling all together ???

I expect to see you on a bike on sunday...okay...I won't take no for an answerAngry