Mintman

I'm relatively new to this website but I'm finding it more and more frustrating when searching the "complete bikes" category under MTB.

Advertised bikes seem to sort of spew randomly across the first 5 or 6 pages, making it very difficult to just see anything new that's come in (and not been gratuitously bumped up above other, often more reasonable items).

I get that money has to come from somewhere but sheez, trying to work through classifieds often amounts to simply refreshing the page to see the same ads over and over again.

What can I do to make my browsing more enjoyable, or does anyone feel the same way?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you make use of the filter categories to narrow your search? These can at least help keep the options applicable to you more reasonable to look through e.g. filtering by frame size, price and location should give you a more manageable list 

Set an email notification for new classifieds. Then click on the link and go straight to the new one.

No charge for that service. But there should be.

Hey guys, I'm familiar with the filter options. They don't help sift through bumped ads tho. Also, sometimes you don't want to limit yourself to one wheel size or province.

The idea about getting an email notification is a good one. But I mean, the whole point of having a list on the site, and filters, is so that you can browse with a bird's eye view and quickly see which items appeal to you. Emails for every item would quickly become unmanageable for general searches. But definitely an excellent solution for more focused ones (e.g. 27.5 in a certain price bracket).

as far as i know The ads appear in chronological order.

People like Rapide and BikeMarket which use the site for their companies often post a lot of ads(and repost old ones ) at once but this just to promote their companies.

Other people (like me ) choose to repost their ads every week.

never seen ads just spewed out randomly  

If you are looking for something specific use the filters , IF not and you are just browsing you'll have to learn to live with how the users on this site conduct themselves.

as far as i know The ads appear in chronological order.

People like Rapide and BikeMarket which use the site for their companies often post a lot of ads(and repost old ones ) at once but this just to promote their companies.

Other people (like me ) choose to repost their ads every week.

never seen ads just spewed out randomly  

If you are looking for something specific use the filters , IF not and you are just browsing you'll have to learn to live with how the users on this site conduct themselves.

I have no issue with people reposting their ads every week. I'm giving feedback from a user's perspective who browses for things every day. I'd say there should be a limit to prevent companies or individuals from reposting something within a 24 hour period. I'm sorry you think my opinion is incorrect or an inconvenience to you but I guess you'll also have to "live with it".

I'm relatively new to this website but I'm finding it more and more frustrating when searching the "complete bikes" category under MTB.

Advertised bikes seem to sort of spew randomly across the first 5 or 6 pages, making it very difficult to just see anything new that's come in (and not been gratuitously bumped up above other, often more reasonable items).

I get that money has to come from somewhere but sheez, trying to work through classifieds often amounts to simply refreshing the page to see the same ads over and over again.

What can I do to make my browsing more enjoyable, or does anyone feel the same way?

Hi Mintman,

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you specifically referring to adverts which are frequently bumped back to the first page or are the adverts not appearing in the expected (chronological) order?

You will find 4-5 promoted / sticky adverts which appear at the top of the listing pages, but below these the further listings should be in chronological order.

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm referring to all the items that appear highlighted in faded blue, with a bullet point to their left. Are these items that users/companies are paying to increase visibility for?

I find it hard to get past them and think it doesn't look great to have the odd "normal" item placed in-between clumps of these highlighted items. 

I've attached a screenshot.

post-103872-0-79775300-1485436074_thumb.png

I have no issue with people reposting their ads every week. I'm giving feedback from a user's perspective who browses for things every day. I'd say there should be a limit to prevent companies or individuals from reposting something within a 24 hour period. I'm sorry you think my opinion is incorrect or an inconvenience to you but I guess you'll also have to "live with it".

Companies pay for the service ... so if they pay for it then they can post as often as they like... which makes it free for the rest of us... or would you prefer that individuals pay as well for this service to cover for the reduced costs that force companies to list only one a week or a month?... see below terms of use

Classified Advertisements

Advertisement in Bike Hub’s classifieds section is free for personal use, however as of 27 June 2016 listing fees do apply to those using the service as a business or trader. Listing fees vary by category and are clearly displayed when placing an advert.

Many of us have been buying and selling on the hub for many years without issue and most of us browse every day.

The system works for pretty much everyone and has been a successful format for a long time.

Now if you want to get peeved about reposted adverts try gumtree as often adverts can be posted more than once a day and sometimes every day for weeks to ensure their adverts stay at the top.

As discussed earlier, there is the filter search as well as an alert function of you want to look for something specific which you should be able to adapt and use to your benefit

Companies pay for the service ... so if they pay for it then they can post as often as they like... which makes it free for the rest of us... or would you prefer that individuals pay as well for this service to cover for the reduced costs that force companies to list only one a week or a month?... see below terms of use

Classified Advertisements

Advertisement in Bike Hub’s classifieds section is free for personal use, however as of 27 June 2016 listing fees do apply to those using the service as a business or trader. Listing fees vary by category and are clearly displayed when placing an advert.

Many of us have been buying and selling on the hub for many years without issue and most of us browse every day.

The system works for pretty much everyone and has been a successful format for a long time.

Now if you want to get peeved about reposted adverts try gumtree as often adverts can be posted more than once a day and sometimes every day for weeks to ensure their adverts stay at the top.

As discussed earlier, there is the filter search as well as an alert function of you want to look for something specific which you should be able to adapt and use to your benefit

Paying customers could have the right to post something every x number of hours. Find a balance that still keeps the lists helpful for non-paying individuals who pretty much provide the entire purpose for the platform: AKA the buyers.

Your tone is unnecessary. I'm sure BikeHub doesn't need you to come running along to its defence.

"it used to be so much easier"  :ph34r:

http://www.pumpitupmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Classifieds-1.jpg

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm referring to all the items that appear highlighted in faded blue, with a bullet point to their left. Are these items that users/companies are paying to increase visibility for?

I find it hard to get past them and think it doesn't look great to have the odd "normal" item placed in-between clumps of these highlighted items. 

I've attached a screenshot.

Ah, I see.

This blue highlight means the advert is new since your last visit - i.e. not bumped / not seen before in your previous browsing.

Ah, I see.

This blue highlight means the advert is new since your last visit - i.e. not bumped / not seen before in your previous browsing.

Thank-you that helps a lot.

Paying customers could have the right to post something every x number of hours. Find a balance that still keeps the lists helpful for non-paying individuals who pretty much provide the entire purpose for the platform: AKA the buyers.

Your tone is unnecessary. I'm sure BikeHub doesn't need you to come running along to its defence.

Nice of you to take offence when none was intended where I was just explaining.... but it seems you know best so will leave you to enjoy the site... and welcome as you are fairly new here!!

Ah, I see.

Which is exactly what he wants :/

Archived