Camber vs Spark

Fitman

I’m riding an old 26 inch hardtail and would like to upgrade.  The current thinking for more recreational riders seems to lean towards bikes with slacker geometry that inspire more confidence and are more comfortable than traditional XC race whippets.  Most of my riding will be around the Jhb trails, e.g. Modderfontein, but also some others like Karkloof or Holla.

So far, I’ve narrowed it down to either the 2017 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon or Scott Spark 930.  Both seem similarly priced and spec’d with 120 mm travel, GX 1 x 11, Fox rear shocks and dropper posts. The Camber has the RS Revelation RL vs the Spark’s Fox 34 Float Performance fork.

Thanks.

Right off the bat it should be said that you can't go wrong with either of these bikes. They're both efficient, trailworthy all-rounders.

Spec-wise, they're quite similar. Your best bet would be to test ride both and buy the one that feels right to you. Seeing as you're in GP, get in touch with one of the various Spez stores and find out when the next demo day is.

Right off the bat it should be said that you can't go wrong with either of these bikes. They're both efficient, trailworthy all-rounders.

Spec-wise, they're quite similar. Your best bet would be to test ride both and buy the one that feels right to you. Seeing as you're in GP, get in touch with one of the various Spez stores and find out when the next demo day is.

This. Both great bikes with each having a trick or two up its sleeve. Best would be to ride both and then make a decision. 

If it helps we've done a review on the Spark 940 - link to it HERE

I have a Camber and really like it, but if I were buying a new bike now, I would buy the Spark.

I like the addition of Boost spacing on the Spark. Just because.

But its the Scott's geometry (longer top tube and shorter head tube) that would suit me better with my long body with short legs. I could run a shorter stem and get a reasonable saddle to bar drop.

Both great bikes.

Deep down inside you probably know which one you prefer, buy that one!

The bike that you WANT is the one that you will ride the most.

Thanks for the tips everyone.  The hardest part now is convincing my wife that I really, really, really need a new bike...

So far, I’ve narrowed it down to either the 2017 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon or Scott Spark 930.  Both seem similarly priced and spec’d with 120 mm travel, GX 1 x 11, Fox rear shocks and dropper posts. The Camber has the RS Revelation RL vs the Spark’s Fox 34 Float Performance fork.

Thanks.

Saw I post on the forum of a guy that has just taken delivery of his camber and the components have been downgraded..no longer  all gx.

Enjoy your new bike when you choose

Thanks.

Saw I post on the forum of a guy that has just taken delivery of his camber and the components have been downgraded..no longer gx.

Enjoy your new bike when you choose

Still GX rd, but no longer GX shifter or cassette. And no longer the 10-42. 

Archived