Need advice! Getting screwed by local hubber

Tom wells

WOW! I honestly didn't intend for this to blow up. 

Thanks @Riyad for replying - I thought you had maybe blocked me on whatsapp or something because I hadn't had a reply for a week.

Lets get to facts - it's clear that we need to see the whatsapp conversation to confirm whether I'm guilty of being nasty in all the ways that I'm being accused (deformation of character, calling you a cheater and a scammer, shafting me, etc). Please take a look in your own whatsapp history before you post garbage for all these hubbers to read - I'm not sure why you would make this stuff up when I can simply upload the whatsapp history?

Whatsapp history available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ViAP-D7mv_RHpBS09ud0RXX2s

Please feel free to read through and make up your own mind guys.

I am fairly comfortable that I dealt with you incredibly well considering the situation, so at least I can sleep well tonight. Thank you to everyone that offered up a bunch of great solutions. I thought I was stuck with replacing hub as the only option, but I will find out about the machining option, especially if others have had good success. 

@Riyad - I'm happy to call this issue dead - unfortunately I don't yet qualify as a "guy with big pockets" - but I actually don't want anything from you.

Best regards,

Whatsapp me your bank details Tom.. Then i'll mission the R500 for machining or whatever extra i can gather. I'm hooping this will conclude this debacle..?  

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know man, if it was me it probably would have taken the same amount of time.

I would have taken it to the bike shop to get new tubbies glued on and make sure brake pads were good etc etc. Maybe look at them for a bit to admire them, then when conditions were perfect take them out for their first ride.

But then again Im a bit weird like that!

ha ha rub them amd stroke them first a little ???????? I get that ????

WOW! I honestly didn't intend for this to blow up. 

Thanks @Riyad for replying - I thought you had maybe blocked me on whatsapp or something because I hadn't had a reply for a week.

Lets get to facts - it's clear that we need to see the whatsapp conversation to confirm whether I'm guilty of being nasty in all the ways that I'm being accused (deformation of character, calling you a cheater and a scammer, shafting me, etc). Please take a look in your own whatsapp history before you post garbage for all these hubbers to read - I'm not sure why you would make this stuff up when I can simply upload the whatsapp history?

Whatsapp history available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ViAP-D7mv_RHpBS09ud0RXX2s

Please feel free to read through and make up your own mind guys.

I am fairly comfortable that I dealt with you incredibly well considering the situation, so at least I can sleep well tonight. Thank you to everyone that offered up a bunch of great solutions. I thought I was stuck with replacing hub as the only option, but I will find out about the machining option, especially if others have had good success. 

@Riyad - I'm happy to call this issue dead - unfortunately I don't yet qualify as a "guy with big pockets" - but I actually don't want anything from you.

Best regards,

Tom

Ummm, obviously not been on the hub very long.

Uhm interesting read through the WhatsApp messages... Honestly I can't believe you waited like three weeks to check them out etc... My cycling related purchases are in my paws within ten minutes of recieving them!

I can see the money being spent within three weeks very easy, so can understand that a refund might not be possible.

Was it the sellers fault? Yip. He could of done more research and measured them to be sure. You didn't ask for measurements yourself? I can see why you didn't, but it's always good practise.

Also, I can see why you don't want to resell. you'll still have two new tubbies, and no one is paying R1500 each secondhand...

Take the sellers offer of machining the hub and get over it.

Please try and resolve these things privately in the future; if the seller ignores you, well then it worked.

Good luck man!

So i should sell my car to refund the wheels then?? fantastic solution. Why didnt i think of that??

Sell something else then.

To encapsulate the thread into a nutshell, the only problem is that you don't have the money. But that is not the buyer's problem, and neither is it a defense.

Whether innocently or negligently, you made a misrepresentation, upon which the buyer relied.

Your good name and reputation are worth more than the pain of the refund.

Sell something else then.

To encapsulate the thread into a nutshell, the only problem is that you don't have the money. But that is not the buyer's problem, and neither is it a defense.

Whether innocently or negligently, you made a misrepresentation, upon which the buyer relied.

Your good name and reputation are worth more than the pain of the refund

All i can say is that this has been a great big lesson for me. 

Uhm interesting read through the WhatsApp messages... Honestly I can't believe you waited like three weeks to check them out etc... My cycling related purchases are in my paws within ten minutes of recieving them!

Thanks man - but if you look carefully at the messages, I only took 2 weeks (seller exaggerated it in his colourful story to 3 weeks).

They were dropped at my parents house in CT (5th Jan), couriered to my work over 3 days to JHB, spent a couple days at work while I was on the road, spent 5 days at the bikeshop getting tubbies fitted, and then discovered they didn't fit my cassette on 20th Jan.

But 2 weeks, 3 weeks, calling someone a scammer, a cheat, 10 speed, 11 speed, whats the difference. Just play innocent and confused and you can get away with anything! 

All i can say is that this has been a great big lesson for me.

Yeah, I guess the challenge is to learn from life's mistakes. You have had the guts to engage here honestly, and I am sure you will find a solution. Engage with the buyer on the phone. Not on whatsapp. It is not a good medium for conflict resolution.

Thanks man - but if you look carefully at the messages, I only took 2 weeks (seller exaggerated it in his colourful story to 3 weeks).

They were dropped at my parents house in CT (5th Jan), couriered to my work over 3 days to JHB, spent a couple days at work while I was on the road, spent 5 days at the bikeshop getting tubbies fitted, and then discovered they didn't fit my cassette on 20th Jan.

But 2 weeks, 3 weeks, calling someone a scammer, a cheat, whats the difference. Just play innocent and confused and you can get away with anything!

Oh sorry about that-didn't check properly...

Oy, Mister Poor Man 

“Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make a good excuse.”
― Thomas Szasz

If the SRAM lockring will work i have a cassette it's all yours if you want it in Centurion

If the SRAM lockring will work i have a cassette it's all yours if you want it in Centurion

Isn't a longer lock-ring a very dodgy solution to getting an 11sp cassette to fit onto a 10sp hub? Unless the smaller sprockets are pinned together (I don't know the construction of an Ultegra cassette), I'd imagine the smallest sprocket is at risk of breaking free of the hub due to insufficient engagement on the splines. Not to mention that the lock ring may not have sufficient threads engaged.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this?

Ya. i didn't say he defamed me ( on this site ).. He did however in the whatsapp messages accuse me of cheating him and shafting him.. If thats what you mean? Anyway, as said before if he had let me know within the same frame period of receiving the wheels that they were not right then i could possibly have stopped the seller from spending the money.. but almost 3 weeks later if the money is spent then what can be done.. If neither the seller nor myself have the cash to solve this problem then what..? No one on this site knows what any other person's personal circumstances are so its quite easy for a guy with big pockets to say, just pay the buyer back its not his problem.. So i'm open to suggestions to resolving this issue so we can all be happy.. 

Actually you did dude ...check your first post at 17:55 ....."So after being called a Scamster and a cheater by you ( deforamtion of character by the way and very uncool)."  that brings your integrity down by saying you didnt say it on this site. 

Oh sorry about that-didn't check properly...

I told you to lie low did I not ??

FlashingPedals just a by the way how much commission did you get?

I thought being a 'HUBBER' meant we are all on the same side.

A community where we can trust each other. We can relate to each other.

And we rely on each other.

Did the 'seller' set out to defraud, mislead and rob. I doubt it.

Did the 'buyer' make sure to check, measure and authenticate. I doubt it.

So a happy deal turns into a F and a P. With a uck and a u in between

And everyone is choosing sides. (and trying to show clever)

I'll donate R200 to help fix this situation. As long as you guys have a cup

of coffee (or beer) together.

And best advice...Never burn Bridges.

Archived