Berg and Bush - what's similar

Connection

Hi there

My Brother in law and I have done the Berg and Bush descent (the tougher race oriented version) for the last 3 years.

It's 3 days covering around 94, 60 and 50km odd.

It's a great race and we've enjoyed it a lot. Beautiful scenery, some technical riding and great value for money (It costs around R6500 per rider).

But we're thinking about mixing it up and doing something else this year.

We would like:

* A race of similar difficulty. Berg and Bush is tough but not silly hard (in my opinion!)

* Ideally somewhere we can drive to from JHB in say under 6 hours. Ie Eastern, Western or Northern Cape is too far away.

* Technical is fine. We like a bit of a challenge!

* 3 days or 4 days is about right in terms of stages

* The organisation of B&B is great so something with a similar level of slick and effective management

What options should we be considering (or do we stick with what we know?)

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately doesn't meet your 6 hour driving criteria - but Wines 2 Whales is apparently amazing. Everyone that has done it says they have loved it! And with guys like Jogie Rautenbach that transport bikes to races, it makes the further away races easy in terms of logistics...

I have not personally done it, but apparently the 2nd day is just awesome in terms of single track! Also around the same price range if I am not mistaken.

Three towers..................

^^^^^^^^

This one Maybe Sani2C (Not technical at all though)

Swazi Frontier, starts just over the border at Oshoek. I've done 10.

180km, but lots of climbing so don't be fooled. day 1 and 2 will almost certainly be 5h days.

almost entirely singletrack

moderately technical - Madje Madze descent will have you grinning all the way down, also the valley descent on day 2 is insanely fun

field of abour 150 riders

3 nights in hotel accommodation

probably leave your hardtail at home and take something with a bit of Trail in it :)

I've done the Berg & Bush twice already as well. Awesome race. For me, the closest to it is Sani2c. Bigger race, but the riding is awesome and organisation slick.

Three Towers is definitely up there and so should Sabie Experience also be. Ths IsiMangaliso MTB is also on the bucket list. 

• 2 weeks later...