Best Fork Service For Value

Andrew_Smith

Hello all,

Hope you guys are doing well.

So, my first service for my fork is very near.

I am not entirely sure when to service your fork, but I am going with the Fox video I watched which stated after 4 months. My fork will be turning 4 months old on 20 February.

My fork: RockShox Reba RLT.

Where do you guys service your forks?

LBS which I dealt with are CWC, ThisWayOut (but the mechanic moved to EvoBikes) and Trek Bicycles.

Asked for a quote today at Trek and it was R450.

Is this the going rate? 

Thanks.

Take care.

~ André

Edited by Andrew_Smith

If seals included then it's a great price, my guess that's labour only, then it seems normal. If they your lbs then dala what you must

If seals included then it's a great price, my guess that's labour only, then it seems normal. If they your lbs then dala what you must

Did not ask them about the seals, though (I too have a bag of seals which I received with the fork). 

But yeah, MTB'ing is expensive. Today's basic serviced cost me R670 in total. Would have been less but apparently, my shifter cable was rusted directly to the frame, so they needed to replace and reroute the whole cable with a new one.

Thanks for the comment Meezo.

Did not ask them about the seals, though (I too have a bag of seals which I received with the fork). 

But yeah, MTB'ing is expensive. Today's basic serviced cost me R670 in total. Would have been less but apparently, my shifter cable was rusted directly to the frame, so they needed to replace and reroute the whole cable with a new one.

Thanks for the comment Meezo.

Next time you take the fork in for a service, it might be time for a seal replacement ...so take that bag of seals with you if you want the LBS to do the service, just in case they need them.

Sorry to hijack the fred, I am also running a reba, but on my last ride, when using the front brake, it has front and back movement in it. As i slow down in moves towards the frame and then jumps a little to its original place, and then moves in again.....

It is my first proper MTB, is this normal? 

Sorry to hijack the fred, I am also running a reba, but on my last ride, when using the front brake, it has front and back movement in it. As i slow down in moves towards the frame and then jumps a little to its original place, and then moves in again.....

It is my first proper MTB, is this normal? 

Sounds like a loose headset.

Just watch a YouTube video on how to tighten the headset correctly and you should be sorted :thumbup:

I charge R450 for the labour, then add seals, O-rings, crush washers and oil.  The latter depends on the fork but you can budget on around R500 (not much change from R1000. :blush: )