Fitness watch that can be used for swimming

ycowley

I've read a lot that the wrist hr function isn't great so if you need the HR function rather get the strap model, that's my opinion

built in HR on Fenix 3 HR does not work in water / swim mode so you need the strap either way if you want to track HR.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the Fenix 3 HR, awesome watch but eventually gave it back because the wrist HR was working intermittently and just frustrated the hell out of me. After the return I would have happily bought the Fenix 3 performance bundle (includes HR strap) but then the announce the Fenix 5, so now I am waiting ( currently back to my old Polar RCX5)

With most of the wrist based HR watches the HR only gives you a reading when the watch is out of the water. That is why the recommend you buy the HRM Swim or HRM Tri strap when you take your swimming serious. The strap records all your HR data and pairs with the watch after the swim...........or that is how I understand it.

My 735XT has 3 profiles that include swimming. Pool Swim, Open water and Triathlon. 

I love my 735XT. It's a brilliant watch and some friends that have the Fenix 3 said they wished they rather bought the 735XT after they had a look at mine.

My wife has the Garmin 920XT. Its a Triathlon watch so can do anything lol.

It even makes me coffee when i ask it nicely.

Yup. Replaced my Fenix 2 with the 920XT. Only have good things to say about the 920XT. Big square screen, light weight, extremely easy to use etc etc. One of the best as far as training tools go.

I had the Fenix 3 HR, awesome watch but eventually gave it back because the wrist HR was working intermittently and just frustrated the hell out of me. After the return I would have happily bought the Fenix 3 performance bundle (includes HR strap) but then the announce the Fenix 5, so now I am waiting ( currently back to my old Polar RCX5)

I've read a lot that the wrist hr function isn't great so if you need the HR function rather get the strap model, that's my opinion

You do know that the wrist HR version can also be paired to a strap so that you can rather use a strap for HR with activities. As already mentioned the wrist HR does not work in water and then you definitely need an HR strap. It you're a multisport chap the TRI strap seems like the way to go!

You do know that the wrist HR version can also be paired to a strap so that you can rather use a strap for HR with activities. As already mentioned the wrist HR does not work in water and then you definitely need an HR strap. It you're a multisport chap the TRI strap seems like the way to go!

Yes, i should have specified better. My issues of no HR on the wrist happened when running or cycling. For swimming it is turned off unless you use the strap. 

And yes, you can pair a HR strap with the Fenix 3 HR, however this is way more expensive than than the standard Fenix 3 with performance bundle (about R2k difference). So all in all as much as I loved the Fenix 3 HR, it did not live up to its expectations.

Awesome watch make no mistake.....wrist HR pretty useless. And like I said, i am  waiting patiently (rather impatiently) for the Fenix 5.

The Apple Iwatch 2 + can be used for swimming - haven't read great reviews about it.

I have the Polar M600, amazing smartwatch and fitness watch without having to wear a pesky HR monitor strap. Use it for cycling and running. The new android 2.0 update which will be released shortly will implement swimming activitys, the watch is also has IPX8 waterproofing 

Check if Navworld still has stock of Fenix 3's, they had a very good clearance sale recently

The Randburg branch has stock. Due South East Gate also have stock, and are R800 cheaper than NavWorld. I should be getting mine later today if my day pans out as planned. 

I have used the Apple Watch in the pool and it works fine.  Only the data is crap and it won't give you all the data or a Garmin on the screen when you want it.  I have not tried it in open water as yet but it does have an option for that. 

Archived