12 Speed Up Grade with XT Crank

Sidmouth

Thinking of dong the Eagle route, anyone know if you can get a 34T 12 speed chaining that will fit a XT crank, hoping to save a few bucks by avoiding a new crank 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You bastards...

And yes, Sidmouth. I know that the majority of chainrings *should* fit 12 speed as there's only a marginal difference in internal width between 11 & 12 sp chains (there's just a bit of machining near the rollers afaik) but I know for a fact that Wolftooth & Absolute Black & cSixx chainrings advertise compatability with Eagle on THE SAME RING.

So it follows that the majority of narrow / wide rings should work. 

Thanks Myles.

so if i understand you correctly I could use the Shimano OEM 11 speed 34T Chainring and it would work just fine with the Sram 12 chain?

Thanks Myles.

so if i understand you correctly I could use the Shimano OEM 11 speed 34T Chainring and it would work just fine with the Sram 12 chain?

It should, yes. Remember - chains are the prostitutes of the cycling world. They don't give a stuff what make the cogs are. 

Yes, that is the general rule until you start making them narrower, IE, a 10 and 11 speed work on the same from ring, but not rear cassette, considering the shimano front tooth can already take a 10 and 11 speed chain on its front ring will the 12 be just to narrow

Yes, that is the general rule until you start making them narrower, IE, a 10 and 11 speed work on the same from ring, but not rear cassette, considering the shimano front tooth can already take a 10 and 11 speed chain on its front ring will the 12 be just to narrow

Answer: No.

Wondering how you get there, given that it's the INTERNAL measurement that counts on the front ring, and the EXTERNAL measurement for the cassette... 

As I said, the internal width of a 12 sp chain is almost exactly the same as an 11 speed chain. Therefore, if your ring fits an 11sp chain it will fit a 12sp chain... You can't, however, fit an 11sp chain to a 12sp CASSETTE. The outer width is just that little bit too large and it will rub on the cogs next to it. 

That's why the likes of cSixx / Absolute Black / Wolftooth etc mark their rings as compatible for 10/11/12. Because all that matters is the internal width of the links. And if they're okay with 12, then I see no reason why the Shimano one won't be as well. But if you doubt it, then feel free to spend another grand on a wolftooth / absolute black chainring before checking whether your existing XT ring is perfectly compatible... 

Thinking of dong the Eagle route, anyone know if you can get a 34T 12 speed chaining that will fit a XT crank, hoping to save a few bucks by avoiding a new crank 

If you run ANYTHING smaller than a 36T chainring with an Eagle setup, please sell your bike and take up lawn bowls.

If you're going Shimano for the ring, make sure you get the newer version. The older ones are rubbish at retaining the chain.

If you're going Shimano for the ring, make sure you get the newer version. The older ones are rubbish at retaining the chain.

Yeah. They made a very quiet change when they realised that their 'ring needed to be narrow wide despite their assertion that "it did little for chain retention"

This is the CRM80 vs 81 (old vs new) comparison

post-615-0-49440000-1487252883_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-26390300-1487252884_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

If you run ANYTHING smaller than a 36T chainring with an Eagle setup, please sell your bike and take up lawn bowls

damn, better sell my bike then.  oh wait.  it's my bike.  i'll ride whatever i want.

If you run ANYTHING smaller than a 36T chainring with an Eagle setup, please sell your bike and take up lawn bowls.

91e6fa25fef9b0993e9ad689324c2c75_-impres

damn, better sell my bike then.  oh wait.  it's my bike.  i'll ride whatever i want.

http://i.imgur.com/Fmx24Qz.png

Archived