[Event] Subaru Cape Town Western Cape XCO #3 - Bloemendal Wine Estate

Morne Veer

Event Name: Subaru Cape Town Western Cape XCO #3 - Bloemendal Wine Estate
When: 1 April 2017
Where: Bloemendal Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Two races down in the series, and we have had overwhelming positive feedback and replies, both from riders, as well as supporters (friends and families).

The WPMTB commission, with all its parents and volunteers, have taken XCO racing to a new level, with an increase in entrants seen in most categories - it is especially pleasing to see a revival in the Vets and Sub-Vets categories, with very healthy and competitive racing. We want to still encourage the very young to come and join, and ask parents to expose their kids to this wonderful form of cycling.

Next race takes place at Bloemendal, with many local riders licking their lips, in anticipation - as we have seen with the first two legs, the route designers will most surely leave nothing to the imagination in the elevation / climbing department, and one can expect to be thoroughly tested. The venue is known for hosting many MTB events, and is very spectator friendly - an ideal opportunity for the whole family to have a lovely day out, enjoy the racing, and enjoying all the delicacies and wine the farm has to offer.

A big thank you to all who have participated thus far - please continue to help us in getting the word out : XCO racing is thriving in the Western Cape !!!

Go to Event Page

hubevents-17350-0-51554800-1488454778_thumb.jpg

hubevents-17350-0-71744600-1488454794_thumb.jpg

hubevents-17350-0-39150800-1488454829_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoooohoooo I cannot wait for this one as it will be sort of "home turf". I got a feeling it will be in even bigger than the 1st round that was held at Slanghoek might not topple #2 Rhebokskloof but will Come mighty close.

Boys I'm training extra hard for this one ☝???? ????

Whoooohoooo I cannot wait for this one as it will be sort of "home turf". I got a feeling it will be in even bigger than the 1st round that was held at Slanghoek might not topple #2 Rhebokskloof but will Come mighty close.

Boys I'm training extra hard for this one ☝???? ????

????????????????????

Sounds seriaaas

And what an awesome course

Boys I'm training extra hard for this one ☝

Expecting to see another great turnout, and with the venue of Bloemendal, we really hope to see more youngsters taking part - by all accounts, this will be the case.

I agree with you, a believe there will be a few boys and gals licking their lips at this course, being in their backyard. However, as with WP Champs last year, the man with the whip will ensure the legs get a beating with bucket loads of climbing, crumbed up per lap !

You've been getting closer and closer to the prestigious 3 step-wooden-crate, and I suspect you will go find yourself listening to your name being called out at price giving - so in the words of Rob Schneider :  "You can doooo iiiiiit !"

Expecting to see another great turnout, and with the venue of Bloemendal, we really hope to see more youngsters taking part - by all accounts, this will be the case.

I agree with you, a believe there will be a few boys and gals licking their lips at this course, being in their backyard. However, as with WP Champs last year, the man with the whip will ensure the legs get a beating with bucket loads of climbing, crumbed up per lap !

You've been getting closer and closer to the prestigious 3 step-wooden-crate, and I suspect you will go find yourself listening to your name being called out at price giving - so in the words of Rob Schneider :  "You can doooo iiiiiit !"

Thanks for that vote of confidence but i'll be realistic with my expectations, the field is pretty strong & stacked, the only way a podium would be possible is if some of the other guys have "bad days". for example Donovan crashing out in #1 & Darryn having a mechanical in #2.

These 2 unfortunate situations allowed me to appear to be getting closer but that is not the case, sadly.But i'm still going to keep trying to push the envelope each time.

Checked the calendar and barring illness or me just being outright lame, I will be there trying to avoid being lapped!

Is this the one with that massive gap jump thing?

Thanks for that vote of confidence but i'll be realistic with my expectations, the field is pretty strong & stacked, the only way a podium would be possible is if some of the other guys have "bad days". for example Donovan crashing out in #1 & Darryn having a mechanical in #2.

These 2 unfortunate situations allowed me to appear to be getting closer but that is not the case, sadly.But i'm still going to keep trying to push the envelope each time.

What If I told you I had a hand to play in both the above incidents ????.....

post-17350-0-98321700-1488545990.jpg

Edited by Veer-Factor

Checked the calendar and barring illness or me just being outright lame, I will be there trying to avoid being lapped!

Is this the one with that massive gap jump thing?

Some say it is apparently nothing more than riding off a pavement.......I'm not one of them though. But to answer your question, YES, that is on the Lombards Terra section. 

What If I told you I had a hand to play in both the above incidents ????.....

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Some say it is apparently nothing more than riding off a pavement.......I'm not one of them though. But to answer your question, YES, that is on the Lombards Terra section. 

Rad

I am not overly shy of a bit of hang time. But on a fully rigid bike it's always a little sketchy.

Might pack some sponge....

Rad

I am not overly shy of a bit of hang time. But on a fully rigid bike it's always a little sketchy.

Might pack some sponge....

there are B lines at the "technical" sections - note, no such privileges up the climbs though !! 

Event Name: Subaru Cape Town Western Cape XCO #3 - Bloemendal Wine Estate

When: 1 April 2017

Where: Bloemendal Wine Estate, Western Cape

Category: MTB

Two races down in the series, and we have had overwhelming positive feedback and replies, both from riders, as well as supporters (friends and families).

The WPMTB commission, with all its parents and volunteers, have taken XCO racing to a new level, with an increase in entrants seen in most categories - it is especially pleasing to see a revival in the Vets and Sub-Vets categories, with very healthy and competitive racing. We want to still encourage the very young to come and join, and ask parents to expose their kids to this wonderful form of cycling.

Next race takes place at Bloemendal, with many local riders licking their lips, in anticipation - as we have seen with the first two legs, the route designers will most surely leave nothing to the imagination in the elevation / climbing department, and one can expect to be thoroughly tested. The venue is known for hosting many MTB events, and is very spectator friendly - an ideal opportunity for the whole family to have a lovely day out, enjoy the racing, and enjoying all the delicacies and wine the farm has to offer.

A big thank you to all who have participated thus far - please continue to help us in getting the word out : XCO racing is thriving in the Western Cape !!!

Go to Event Page

Couldn't agree more with this above however if you look at the nippers the problem I have encountered that the step up from a child doing Spur MTB vs  WPMTB is a very big a jump and he or she would need some serious training to partake .

This means I cannot encourage tell my kids  friends come and participate have some fun  because the child  might end up hurting themselves.

Couldn't agree more with this above however if you look at the nippers the problem I have encountered that the step up from a child doing Spur MTB vs  WPMTB is a very big a jump and he or she would need some serious training to partake .

This means I cannot encourage tell my kids  friends come and participate have some fun  because the child  might end up hurting themselves.

Morning Mark

Yes, it is quite a step-up from a Spur event, with reference to Nippers. My own son, and many of our other children was faced with the same challenge, BUT, I assure you, the kids are a lot more astute than what we sometimes think, and give credit for.

A new rule has been implemented that all nippers and sprogs must do a practice lap before the event, to see where they might be challenged and rather opt for the b-line, or to simply walk the "obstacle". 

We have found that the children (nippers and sprogs) who do more regular off road rides at the various trails, find it a very simple transition, compared to the child who only does a Spur event the odd weekend. 

Thanks for your comments, I can assure you the committee is constantly looking at ways to assist. 

I will sound biased but I am all for encouraging kids to partake because today's nipper is tomorrows possible elite rider .

What may help a little is if a time slot can be given to the younger riders only say for an hour ,you may extend this further for older groups but when dealing with really young kids it becomes intimidating for them to start sharing a track with adults who I might add can become impatient .

I saw this happen at the previous event and I saw kids who perhaps felt the need to give way but in doing so they compromise themselves by not getting the track time and offering the respect to older fellow competitor .

For me the big question is how do you get a kid from just riding a bike to doing wpmtb ?

I will sound biased but I am all for encouraging kids to partake because today's nipper is tomorrows possible elite rider .

What may help a little is if a time slot can be given to the younger riders only say for an hour ,you may extend this further for older groups but when dealing with really young kids it becomes intimidating for them to start sharing a track with adults who I might add can become impatient .

I saw this happen at the previous event and I saw kids who perhaps felt the need to give way but in doing so they compromise themselves by not getting the track time and offering the respect to older fellow competitor .

For me the big question is how do you get a kid from just riding a bike to doing wpmtb ?

Morning.

Not sure if I follow correctly, but you mention that there were adults in on the track when the nippers & sprogs were racing ?? - this I assure you was not the case. They have their own designated start times, and also a shortened course, which only the Nippers and Sprogs use - they start bright and early (8 am), and the other events only follow after these two age categories, on the main course.

One of the challenges we have, and there are many, is to try and fit the whole day into a program allowing only a few hours. There are so many age categories and the day is already so squeezed in. A simple thing like price giving becomes an issue, as parents were not prepared to wait till 16h00 in the afternoon for the price giving and simply left after their kids events......then they tried to make the price giving earlier in the morning, and some parents can not attend the prize giving, as they are either working as volunteers on the course (event), or taking part themselves.  I refer to this only to illustrate just how complicated these events become. 

Thanks again for your comments - always welcomed. 

Regards