[Event] Subaru Cape Town Western Cape XCO #3 - Bloemendal Wine Estate

Morne Veer

Philip

My son rode much better today, and felt much stronger already in the 2nd lap, where he usually feels stronger on the 4th lap. He says he can definitely feel the warm up worked. He usually feels his lungs burning in the 1st and 2nd lap, and this did not happen today. He now says he needs to work on his legs more so they can catch up with his core.

He had a good fight with his friend and main rival. They were neck and neck until the 3rd lap when his friend had a fall, and after that was not able to reel in my son.

Thanks so much for the time you put in with him yesterday.

Awesome! Kudos, Philip!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, kudos goes to Brendon, walking all the way up to the tech zone with his baby taking a ride on his shoulders, to deliver a Pure Savage kit while my son was riding his race.  :thumbup:

Gives a whole new meaning to delivery by hand.

Edited by Moridin

I died out there yesterday. It was a pretty humbling expercience. 

I had all the show on the downhills, but not enough go on the uphills to match it. 

Got lapped early on lap 4.

In a masochistic way I did enjoy it, but damn those guys are just on another level. SubVet racing is no joke. 

The vibe between the riders was cool. Even when I got lapped the guys had an encouraging word. The crowd was kief. even while bleeding through my eyeballs they cheered and encouraged. 

I managed to save some face by overtaking riders on the A-Lines. But in XCO tech skills wont get you in front, it will however help to keep you in front if you worked hard to get there. You need the legs.

Two more rounds and two months for me to try and regain some dignity. See you gentleman at Rhebockskloof.

Another stellar day out with fellow participants, families and friends. 

From the first events of the day, the nippers & sprogs, it was clear that that racing was going to be a good spectacle, made possible by a very well laid out course, with multiple good viewing points. 

post-17350-0-46802500-1491130143_thumb.jpg

Shaun Peters was in charge of the tunes and commentary, making all riders feel welcome and full of praise of each riders' efforts, as he / she passed his commentary gazebo. 

post-17350-0-47341600-1491130306_thumb.jpg

Record entries in the Vet and Sub Vets category, with the start chute being filled with very close to 50 riders, proving just how much the "older" riders still want to challenge and test themselves against their mates. The Vets category being particularly competitive this year with some incredibly fast lap times among the top 10. 

Big shout out to the WP MTB commission, consisting only out of volunteers and parents, for yet again putting up VERY successful event, and a day which ticked all the boxes, and then some. Looking forward to race #4 later in the month. 

Well done to all who took part on the day, it was a tough course - I personally ride Bloemendal often, but was surprised by how much elevation they squeezed into the laps, and as always, the intensity makes it tough going in anyones book. 

post-17350-0-18609200-1491130732_thumb.jpg

XCO racing in WP has made huge strides over the last year, and we have such great potential for the future, and a great foundation to work from - lets keep on spreading the word and get more of our friends and children to participate. Remember the suffering is temporarily, but the elation and memories of racing last forever.  

Edited by Veer-Factor

I do all the jumps except that gap jump

Working on it

I had never done it until the race. Nothing like just following a rider over it. its been built so well that you don't need to do anything, you just sail over. Just make sure you have the speed. 

I died out there yesterday. It was a pretty humbling expercience. 

I had all the show on the downhills, but not enough go on the uphills to match it. 

Got lapped early on lap 4.

In a masochistic way I did enjoy it, but damn those guys are just on another level. SubVet racing is no joke. 

The vibe between the riders was cool. Even when I got lapped the guys had an encouraging word. The crowd was kief. even while bleeding through my eyeballs they cheered and encouraged. 

I managed to save some face by overtaking riders on the A-Lines. But in XCO tech skills wont get you in front, it will however help to keep you in front if you worked hard to get there. You need the legs.

Two more rounds and two months for me to try and regain some dignity. See you gentleman at Rhebockskloof.

It is a very humbling discipline. nothing can prepare you for it other than doing them regularly! 

last one I did was just over a year ago and it showed yesterday! twitching/cramping muscles after 2.5 laps is never good!! 

I had never done it until the race. Nothing like just following a rider over it. its been built so well that you don't need to do anything, you just sail over. Just make sure you have the speed.

Cool

Thought so

I can jump that bottom ramp jump by the entrance fence

Surely this is close to that difficulty level

I thought Shaun Peters did a good job and the first race had a nipper that was in over her depth and one of the officials ran along with her and kind of helped her along .He didn't have to do it  but it shows the level of commitment of the volunteers 

Hope the parents thanks him .

Cool

Thought so

I can jump that bottom ramp jump by the entrance fence

Surely this is close to that difficulty level

Yes. The gap is smallish, and the take off will just loft you over the gap. I'm still working on my demons though so haven't done it despite doing things much bigger with a table in the middle.

As long as you have the speed for it that is

Edited by Myles Mayhew