Safety on Paarden Eiland Route

williamv

Hi.

I have read on PPA's website that the Paarden Eiland route from Cape Town CBD going to Milnerton should be avoided due the recent increase in crime towards cyclists. This warning was issued on the 30th of November 2016.

Does anyone know whether this route is still regarded as unsafe and should be avoided? This is such an awesome route if you want to avoid traffic.

Thank in advance.

Hi Wiliamv,

It is still regarded as an unsafe area, but they have upped the security over the last few months, once I found this out, I started cycling into work again, 7.30am or so, and sometimes only heading back home close to 7, and i can defiantly say i seen the security patrolling, of which i always made sure i gave a little wave hello and thanks. When they said they was upping the security, they gave times that they would be out and about, i just can't remember those times, maybe up on the PPA site..? The main so called danger area is Paarden Eiland through to the woodstock area. There is also groups of cyclists that gather, and ride together for safety in numbers. I have had guys ask if they can ride through with me from Milnerton market, 

I hope this helps, Happy cycling

Let's not become victims of our own doing, what I am saying is that we should not stop using this passage.

Wait for other riders before going down danger alley, or ride in a group if you can.

We commute daily through this zone, in a group.

I can concur that during the peak commuter times, there has been a marked improvement RE security staff patrolling.

Safety in Numbers.

Hi WilliamV, This was transnets view :

Dear *SnipSnip

Apology for our slow response and thank you again for the request.

Due to 24/7 cargo operations in our Port and for your members safety, we do not allow individual cyclists to use our Port. We suggest that you address the safety risk matter with the applicable authorities.

Regards

When i forwarded that reply to PPA and the City of CapeTown i got the below from PPA and nothing from the CoCT.

Hi *SnipSnip

Thank you for your email.

It used to be easy to commute through the harbour, but then it changed overnight.

I see your email chain to Transnet. Let me see what we can achieve, if anything.

The cycle lane now has dedicated bicycle patrols during the week (excl weekends). I believe there are also clean-ups on the go and SAPS vehicles patrol from time to time.

Regards

So, ja i agree with Hairy now, be alert and dont take silly chances, but avoiding the route means those thieving druggie bastards win.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Please see below a post from one of our commuters who had a close call this morning.

Hi - Narrowly escaped being mugged this morning, just after 7h30. Was just around the Zoarvlei station, where the factories start on the left, please click on the link below for the map point. 2 Chaps, 1 sitting on the fence and 1 standing in front of him. When I got close, the guy standing ran backwards stringing a rope in front of me to take me down. Fortunately I managed to swerve away in time through the shrubs and bushes onto the bus lane and escaped. Reported it to the security and metro police on route.

Please warn all commuters of this MO and spot. It is a prime spot for muggings due to the quick exit they have, it is a wonder that more people are not mugged here.

https://goo.gl/maps/iBSiV2Lznc42

• 4 months later...

So what's the latest on this route?

I know a couple of people using it lately, but I remain cautious.

I want to cycle from woodbridge to CBD tomorrow morning, should I avoid it?

Any groups passing tomorrow that I can join?

if you are on your own and want company, wait at the robots by the flea market, im sure a couple of peeps will come on by.

My spidey senses tingle riding through that place.

Had no new reports RE muggings on this section for some time now ...but as per Gravity's comment above, I would wait for others over the weekend.

I use this route a lot and have not had a problem yet.If you can, wait for other cyclists .If not just be careful.Lights off in the dark and study other users body language from a distance as you approach and make eye contact so that they know that you are watching them.Have seen guys hop onto the buslane when they felt unsafe.

Currently the street lights are out from Paarden eiland rd to the N1 underpass.

Be careful out there

I want to commute from Plumstead and this would be the last section on my way to work. Have to be at the office by 7.30am. I haven't started commuting due to the apparent risk and lack of available cycle buddies. Yes I have put it out on the cycling bus forum, still no options/offers. Don't want to be commuting alone

I use Marine Drive all the way into town (Waterfront) or onto Albert Road (Woodstock) over the weekends.

The cycle lane is just too dodgy to ride alone. There are so many illegal/informal people living along that entire area along the MyCiTi lane all the way into the Foreshore that it is just not worth the risk.

Sadly, I feel safer cycling on the highway next to a shipping container truck.

I have recently moved offices into town and was hoping to commute but just don't feel it is safe to do so.

I had half hoped the work they're currently doing on the bridge over the N1 is a rerouting of the cycle lane but I presume that's just wishful thinking?!

Edited by trasver

Marine Dr and FW DE Klerk are fine before 5.30/6am during the week,but after that its dicey with cars etc coming through there at high speed.I would rather take my chances on the cycle lane.

BIG THANKS to CT Metro Police for having a patrol car on the cycle lane at the N1 underpass on a Sunday morning between 8 & 9am.

The street lights on the cycle path from Paarden Eiland Rd to the N1 underpass have also been repaired/switched on !!!!!!!!!!

Cycle lanes in Tokai coming along nicely.

THIS CITY WORKS!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Those using Marine Drive, do you use it coming back after work as well? I am commuting from Town to the suburb for work and used it coming in, but it is quite sketchy to use Marine Drive as it joins the N1 at around 6.45pm when I get there so not sure what to do, do not want to use the cycle path that time of day. 

Is there any other options?

I don't mind using the N1 to Marine drive at 5.30am in the morning heading out but it's coming back that's a bit dicey.