Move the Cycle Tour date back to October?

WIPEOUT 1000

Purely from a wind perspective is there any sense riding the CTCT the other way round?

Possibly starting and ending at the stadium?

Purely from a wind perspective is there any sense riding the CTCT the other way round?

Possibly starting and ending at the stadium?

Hospital bend needs to be opened to traffic by 1130, there is no way they can keep it locked down to 1600 for a 1700 finish cutoff

Hospital bend needs to be opened to traffic by 1130, there is no way they can keep it locked down to 1600 for a 1700 finish cutoff

I remember a time when they came back over OKW ....I think Chappies was closed. ...no problem then....?

Doesn't take much to organize a route on strava that tracks times at your convenience. No ppa fees, no plastic medals, just the love of the sport on the best routes SA has to offer.

A ppa newsletter recently spoke of the dieing interest in road cycling, which to me doesn't make sense if you see how busy the roads are over the weekend. I personally think there is already a move away from organized events which no longer is the only way to compete against fellow cyclists in a timed manor on popular routes.

To make an event feel official requires a very small tweak to strava or possibly a new type of app which: 1. Sends a call to action to a group of riders (the event notification) 2. Sends the route map (the app will serve as the route direction marker) 3. Sets a valid window of start and end time for the route to be completed (riders will be given windows based on seeding, also a way of ensuring numbers on the route are controlled) 4. Results announcement with winner or podium announced on the app. *monetization is by sponsors and paid advertising, no entry fees to cyclists

We are talking a total disruption to organized competitive sports far more suited to today's Uber/airbnb generation

Good heavens, so you want to race on strava on public roads, without marshals at intersections, no stopping or even slowing down at stop streets and robots because you are racing???

You must be pulling our legs!

Doesn't take much to organize a route on strava that tracks times at your convenience. No ppa fees, no plastic medals, just the love of the sport on the best routes SA has to offer.

A ppa newsletter recently spoke of the dieing interest in road cycling, which to me doesn't make sense if you see how busy the roads are over the weekend. I personally think there is already a move away from organized events which no longer is the only way to compete against fellow cyclists in a timed manor on popular routes.

To make an event feel official requires a very small tweak to strava or possibly a new type of app which: 1. Sends a call to action to a group of riders (the event notification) 2. Sends the route map (the app will serve as the route direction marker) 3. Sets a valid window of start and end time for the route to be completed (riders will be given windows based on seeding, also a way of ensuring numbers on the route are controlled) 4. Results announcement with winner or podium announced on the app. *monetization is by sponsors and paid advertising, no entry fees to cyclists

We are talking a total disruption to organized competitive sports far more suited to today's Uber/airbnb generation

Not all of us who love the sport are Stravassholes....

... Remember you have 947 in Early November... 

Having one early the year, March/April and then 2nd late year makes budgeting/leave etc more do-able, if they were both to be within a month of each bother will loose out.

I'd think a mid/late April might be a better option.

rather ride in a colder/maybe wet circumstance than the current hot/fires/windy period.

G

I think they should move the race to another month (not sure when) but everytime I do the CTCT it ends up raining or windy.

Just feels to me that something needs to be done...my only concern is I think it will have to be replaced by "something" in March as this could leave a big long stretch without  big event. 

If I was in charge I would have moved CTCT earlier (say December) and moved the Stellenbosch and DC later to say End January and February. This way you'll have nice long sunny days to train for DC and when starting the CTCT we can start earlier as sunlight would be in our favour in December.

Then ill have a few PPA races / leagues going into April at least.

Cape Town Cancelled Tour vs. 947 in the same month? 

Who do you think will win the claim as the world biggest timed event?

Let the cyclists decide whether they want to be subjected to a lottery entry, coupled with an even bigger lottery of whether you are going to ride or not, as opposed to a set in stone event that tells you "Be there for the ride". No if's, but's, weather, politics, half events, complete cancellations, etc.......  

Riding +- 150 km's whilst parting with R1500.00 entry fee at CTCT over the last 3 events is not my idea of a good "investment".

I'd think a mid/late April might be a better option.

I think the one issue with April - (any date between April and September for that matter) would be the late sunrise which would delay the start too much.

As I said above not convinced by the October start date either - spring weather is a lottery in the WC. 

But given the bad luck we have had 2 out of 3 years discussing alternative dates is worthwhile. 

I think the one issue with April - (any date between April and September for that matter) would be the late sunrise which would delay the start too much.

The 2 oceans is in April. You can't have 2 huge events like that in the same month. The city would NEVER allow it.

As far as changing the dates go. The Isle of Man TT has been held on the last week in May and first week in June since 1907. You don't monkey with tradition because of a variable like the weather. It's a windy city. These things happen.

I don't want to sound like a tree hugger here but I surfed for 20 years and in that sport you DON'T disrespect nature. She will beat you down very quickly. Cycling is an outside sport. Same as surfing. Wind and weather are part of the game. If you don't like it ride on a velodrome. Yesterdays non race has made me love the sport even more.

*Edit. Skubarra my comment wasn't aimed at you directly. Just the first sentence.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Good heavens, so you want to race on strava on public roads, without marshals at intersections, no stopping or even slowing down at stop streets and robots because you are racing???

You must be pulling our legs!

Uhm there are so many races happening on open roads without marshals anyway , why would it be an issue if its on strava?

Uhm there are so many races happening on open roads without marshals anyway , why would it be an issue if its on strava?

Sssshhhhh @BaGearA, @bert is a marshall and might start moonlighting as an actual cyclist trying to understand the underground scene ...