Cycling with your partner

Airhub.  This is practically made for riding with your partner.  Goes in your front fork and adds resistance, up to 100 watt extra.  You could add resistance until you and your wife are climbing at a similar rate, while you'd be getting a hell of a lot more exercise than you would otherwise.  All controlled with your smartphone, it has all sorts of fancy programs.  Can keep you in a specific HR zone or link with your power meter to keep you in a power zone, no matter the route you are on.

Now if you are serious about cycling with your partner, you will fit the airhub on YOUR bike and install the App in HER smartphone... Then when you get too far ahead she can just "dial you back in".

Once you back in sync, gently remind her to wind back the resistance again.  :eek:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It only became a problem lately when family members started cycling with us, now she feels like she is keeping everyone up. 

We also found things got more stressful when our kids joined us. Our son was faster than us and we encouraged him to go on ahead, that worked fine. Our younger daughter was slower and we had to slow down for her which put some pressure on everybody.

The kids have sort of dropped out of cycling for now. We don't push them but we would be very happy if they did join us.

Our cycling started as together time. He justed wanted me to get into riding so that I'd give him less hell when he disappeared for five hours while I mowed the lawn.

Now we basically only do the Saturday club ride together. Besides that we enjoy different types of riding and ride with other people. I'll go spin at gym and race track- he's not interested in that at all. But he gets these 7pm wattsapps from his mate to organise a ride the next morning. Then they go destroy each other and come home like limping beaten dogs. Thats his thing.

Im glad we can each do our own thing and we don't get offended with each other. We do have to share the cycling budget and I was the last to buy a bike so suppose it is his turn next :blush:

It's cool that you can both participate in something yet let each person have it as their own. We havent learnt that skill yet, but only been married for 2 years, so maybe one day ;)

Wait, there's an app for this! Or perhaps an app combined with yet another piece of incredibly expensive cycling kit....

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1-DSC06201.jpg

Airhub. This is practically made for riding with your partner. Goes in your front fork and adds resistance, up to 100 watt extra. You could add resistance until you and your wife are climbing at a similar rate, while you'd be getting a hell of a lot more exercise than you would otherwise. All controlled with your smartphone, it has all sorts of fancy programs. Can keep you in a specific HR zone or link with your power meter to keep you in a power zone, no matter the route you are on.

Seems like an excellent idea for extracting more pain from any ride, imagine doing all your training with +80W and then taking it off for a race.

You've mentioned she wants to be faster, so slowing yourself down for her sake is perhaps not your ideal solution. But for those with SO's that can't or don't want to improve this is a great gadget.

Unfortunately the price is totally insane at around R20k. So it's an unaffordable cool idea.

http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/airhub-cycling-resistance.html

Edit: Added Ray Maker review link

i just ride the fat bike with the Mrs.......the bike is heavy and a tractor so gets to keep up while I'm working hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now if you are serious about cycling with your partner, you will fit the airhub on YOUR bike and install the App in HER smartphone... Then when you get too far ahead she can just "dial you back in".

Once you back in sync, gently remind her to wind back the resistance again. :eek:

hahaha. That can work!

I wish that climbing was my wife's issue, hers is descending...

She climbs faster than she goes downhill!!! those brakes are almost always on and its frustrating as heck.

Time and patience havent been able to sort it out.

She climbs faster than she goes downhill!!! those brakes are almost always on and its frustrating as heck.

sister in law has the same problem.

Went on our first tandem ride today. What a blast.

We took advice from the net and did a 5km trip.

The bike is a heavy old bike and the wheels turn like a I dont know what. Heavy and slow.

But we said that we want to try the experience. And it was nice. My wife is on the net looking at tandems.... I will give the bike a service friday, and we will try a 40 on saturday with climbing.

Send her for a skills class.

I found with my wife when she heard the same things from someone else in a formalized setting and practiced it, that it worked way better than with Mr trying to tell her.

I recommend Joanna Dobinson from Biking in the Bosch, she made massive headway with my wife.

Oh and if your wide is in cleats, have her tide with tekkies utility she gets confident. If she insists on cleats, put your old worn out cleats on her shoes, they'll clip out easier, while you can handle the new cleats.

We all struggle on the climbs. Tell her to buy a gumguard. Grit her teeth tight. Turn those cranks.

YELLING ALSO HELPS.

Pfft.

You're on your own here buddy.

Shouting at her only makes it worse....

I agree with Phillip, time Jason did another womens skill course.

My wife tried cycling, rode once on my old xc bike and said NO. So cycling is my time[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Send her for a skills class.

I found with my wife when she heard the same things from someone else in a formalized setting and practiced it, that it worked way better than with Mr trying to tell her.

I recommend Joanna Dobinson from Biking in the Bosch, she made massive headway with my wife.

Oh and if your wide is in cleats, have her tide with tekkies utility she gets confident. If she insists on cleats, put your old worn out cleats on her shoes, they'll clip out easier, while you can handle the new cleats.

She hasnt progressed to cleats yet, the biggest concern is that it happens on both her roadie and her mtb so Im not sure how much is skills related and how much is in her head!!

I agree with Phillip, time Jason did another womens skill course.

My wife tried cycling, rode once on my old xc bike and said NO. So cycling is my time[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I must actually give him a shout and see if he can put something together.

I think the ideal is for my wife to find some riders of similar capability to ride with while I ride with others similar to me, that way we both out having fun and can meet up afterwards.

I thank Le Madonna del Ghisallo every day that my wife doesn't cycle. If she did, it would turn into a couples thing, or "together time".... one of the best things about riding for me is that it's my time, just me. I reset.

This^

Archived