Continual punctures

OldBull

Hi all. I need your input

I'm using 29er Maxxi Crossmarks. Big oke, 121kg. My back tire did about 600km. Mostly ride on farm roads and regularly pick up thorns, but my slime seals up sufficiently.

This morning went on a long ride mostly on tar roads. Got a cut from glass after about 5km and sealed it with a plug. After 75km I had my 7th puncture for the morning which is concerning. Of the 7 I had to plug only 2 and the other were sealed by the Ryder slyme. None of the other riders had any punctures. 

After 86km my tire burst.

Could all these smaller punctures be due to the thorns that I regularly pick up?

Is this normal?

Hi. Are you running the LUST Crossmarks or foldables? I am running the LUST ones and have not had any problems with mine. Touch wood, had no punctures for years riding singletrack and farm roads.

Change your slime...to stans.

What pressure are you running?

I knew a guy who thought that because he had muti in his tyres that he could ride anywhere. He didn't care about the line he took over rough stuff or having to look out for *** in the road. He couldn't understand why he always had buckled rims and slashed tyres

There should be a logo on the side saying UST or LUST.

This just means the tyres are tubeless compatible(Usually a stronger sidewall and carcass). The non tubeless ones will function as tubeless but no where near as reliable.

Crossmarks in general are usually hugely reliable, for example my rear crossmark has done a year or so of riding and racing and almost all the tread has worn out already and although I top up the air every ride or so, touch wood it has never needed a plug it has always sealed without even needing to stop, the crossmark I had on there before was the same so to hear of one giving troubles doesn't make sense in my opinion.

The LUST Crossmarks are generally bullet proof, if you are running a non UST/LUST tyre then you do run less reliability...also depends on where exactly you have all these punctures, as if they have been on the side walls then the sealant doesn't generally run up that high and may be missing the holes with the normal rotation of the wheels.

I find that the Ryder slime is also a bit thick sometimes for smaller holes.

I also use the Ryder slime and trust it totally. With the exception of one cut, possible glass, the rest were all smallish, but sprayed slime all over. All punctures were among the knoblies.

Just asked my LBS to fit new Crossmark and asked for the ones with LUST.

My pressure yesterday was about 50 PSI but normally run at 40 PSI. That was the only change to what I normally do. That is why I suspect this to be the reason for all the punctures.

Just remember if you are getting regular punctures which are sealing up, you need to top up your sealent regularly. I had no punctures for about 6 months, and then in one ride I had 4 - turns out that my sealent was pretty low. Topped it up, no more punctures.

post-84387-0-43780800-1481099004_thumb.jpg

See attached image of a few Maxxis tyres. The LUST Crossmark will have the LUST label on the side wall. Usually the crossmarks that come with new bikes are only meant for tubes and have thin side walls.

The EXO casing is also good but not as thick as the LUST variants.

I have also used the Ryder sealant but for some reason it does not dry or cure as quick a Stans! 

See attached image of a few Maxxis tyres. The LUST Crossmark will have the LUST label on the side wall. Usually the crossmarks that come with new bikes are only meant for tubes and have thin side walls.

The EXO casing is also good but not as thick as the LUST variants.

I have also used the Ryder sealant but for some reason it does not dry or cure as quick a Stans! 

Thanx for this. Now the LUST makes more sense. When I replace my sealant next time I will try Stans.

The Ryder or Fugit (same product different label) dries to a cardboard like feel and appears to be heavily water based. You cannot peal it off like the regular latex-like sealants such as Stans.

I had to soak my Ryder filled tyres in water and then scrub with a sponge to remove the dried sealant.

I also use the Ryder slime and trust it totally. With the exception of one cut, possible glass, the rest were all smallish, but sprayed slime all over. All punctures were among the knoblies.

Just asked my LBS to fit new Crossmark and asked for the ones with LUST.

My pressure yesterday was about 50 PSI but normally run at 40 PSI. That was the only change to what I normally do. That is why I suspect this to be the reason for all the punctures.

50 psi is FAR too hard..... no wonder it burst.....

MAX pressure is 60 PSI fo rmost of the crossmark versions

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-281-crossmark

Somewhere around 2.4 - 2.7 bar should be right for you - and give the tire some compliance for added traction and better puncture resistance.

Edit - I did find this - has a formula in it for a starting pressure - given that you are a large lad.

http://www.superclydesdale.com/?p=1406

Thanx V12man

I like the idea of using the formula. This superclydesdale link is the best article on this subject I have read. 

Now it makes more sense.

Thanx V12man

I like the idea of using the formula. This superclydesdale link is the best article on this subject I have read. 

Now it makes more sense.

That formula seems to work quite well

Lbs   Kg       Front Psi   Front Bar     Rear Psi    Rear Bar

150   68.2    20.4          1.4                23.4          1.6

175   79.5    24.0          1.7                27.0          1.9

200   90.9    27.6          1.9                30.6          2.1

225   102.3  31.1          2.1                34.1          2.4

250   113.6  34.7          2.4                37.7          2.6

I am just under 150 and run about 1.4 - 1.5 on my XC bike - so it works intuitively.

Archived