Creaking bike, loud.

Neil Mc

Resurrecting an old thread but a current problem.

Some guidance please.

I am building up a commuter and have run into an issue. It is a Jamis 29er HT. The issue is the frame creaks badly the moment you put any reasonable pressure on the peddles.

What we have done to try and find the problem is

Swop out the BB

Swop out the rear wheel (and with that the cassette and skewer)

Swop out the peddles

I am not sure what else we should replace or look at??

All help/guidance appreciated

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try push down on the frame when it is still, can you hear anything?

Could the seat post or the headset. If you stand up and pedal, does the noise disappear? Also when you stand and climb, if it is gets worse, could be the headset.

Edited by Martin PJ

How I solved a creak. BB is BB30, serviced BB, no luck. Standing and riding still creaks so not the seatpost and saddle. replaced pedals still no luck. Removed rear derailleur, it was dry and did not want to move forward and backwards, very tight. Still shifted fine. serviced derailleur and creak gone.Crazy heh   

How I solved a creak. BB is BB30, serviced BB, no luck. Standing and riding still creaks so not the seatpost and saddle. replaced pedals still no luck. Removed rear derailleur, it was dry and did not want to move forward and backwards, very tight. Still shifted fine. serviced derailleur and creak gone.Crazy heh   

Up the creak without a pedal lol, had two different bikes with a serious creak both were in the rear derailleur. It's now my first check and no longer just the BB.

Ok, so progress - it is not the seat post (creak remains when standing), nor the headset (creak remains when cycling without touching the bars). BUT, it was noticed that the moment we put pressure on the peddles we seem to get chain suck. Unfortunately this was only noticed this morning, so I will try and swop out my crank when I get home. At the same time I will also strip down my derailleur and check that it is all okay. It is an XT that is still in pretty good nick, but i certainly haven't stripped it to check it. An hour of creaking this morning certainly gives one the desire to fix the damn thing in a hurry!!

A worn front chain ring can cause chain suck. It also is noisy.

If your derailleur is a non clutch Shimano derailleur (older type), there is a way to tighten the spring on the derailleur. It is quite quick to do. Look on youtube for some how to videos on this.

Time for a healthy dose of humble pie. I also decided to swop out the chain ring to a newer NW - and in the process noticed that my chain was on the wrong way around. Swopped my chain around and hey presto, creak gone. A very happy ride this morning. Thanks for the help, sorry that at the end of the day it was just a case of stupidity. But I do have a nice BB, NW chain ring and a few other things on that I am not going to swop back, so not all bad news. :mellow:  :ph34r:

Time for a healthy dose of humble pie. I also decided to swop out the chain ring to a newer NW - and in the process noticed that my chain was on the wrong way around. Swopped my chain around and hey presto, creak gone. A very happy ride this morning. Thanks for the help, sorry that at the end of the day it was just a case of stupidity. But I do have a nice BB, NW chain ring and a few other things on that I am not going to swop back, so not all bad news. :mellow:  :ph34r:

Huh ! chain wrong way round ?? please explain as chains are bi-directional 

Huh ! chain wrong way round ?? please explain as chains are bi-directional 

Shimano chains aren't (at least according to the package inserts, you must have the text visible on the outside)...