When: 27 May 2016 - 28 May 2016
Where: Karkloof Country Club, Kwazulu-Natal
Category: MTB

Date: Saturday, 27 & Sunday 28 May 2017

Venue: Karkloof Country Club

Contact: Stu Berry (Impi Concept Events) - stu@impiconceptevents.com

Schedule:

Saturday, 27 May

07h00 - 18km Karkloof Trail Run (Normal Entries - R140, Late Entries - R160)

07h30 - 9km Karkloof Trail Run (Normal Entries - R100, Late Entries R110)

12h00 - STIHL Karkloof Enduro (Normal Entries - R150, Late Entries - R190)

Sunday, 28 May

07h30 - 60km Sappi Karkloof Marathon (Normal Entries - R220, Late Entries - R260)

08h30 - 40km aQuellé Half Marathon (Normal Entries - R180, Late Entries - R220)

09h20 - 9km Karkloof Trail Run (Normal Entries - R100, Late Entries R110)

09h30 - 20km aQuellé Family Ride (Normal Entries - R130, Late Entries - R170)

10h00 - 10km aQuellé Kids Ride (Normal Entries - R60, Late Entries - R80)

Normal entries open on 1 April and close at 24h00 on 21 May while late entries will be taken until 24h00 on 24 May. Registration will be at the Karkloof Country Club on Saturday 27 May (05h30-11h45) and Sunday 28 May (05h30-09h45).

More info can be found at www.karkloofmtb.co.za

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...

Did this over the weekend as I was down there visiting my family.

Man the level has gone up somewhat since i last did an MTB Race. 41 km and over 900m of climbing. 

Up and down....

Down was sublime and somewhat technical as well, which i enjoyed.

But i am a tired boy today.....

The 40k format has changed somewhat. It never used to go up Cambells climb and luckily it only goes half way up Lebanon. Even the last climb at pressure cooker has been cut in half.

I really enjoyed the 40 km route this year with the added climbing and brilliant descents :thumbup:  

The route had to be altered from previous years as there is fairly extensive felling that has been happening in the Howick & Karkloof areas recently, which have obviously impacted the available trail network. That said I think Hylt Turvey did a great job with the trails.

Also, for all those considering giving an Enduro style event a go, the 3 main downhills that were on both the 40 km & 60 km routes (the new route off Lebanon, Rene's Rumble & Jewitts Jive) made up the timed stages of the enduro so definitely consider entering next year.

The only slight downer for me was the very rushed enduro prize giving. I think a couple people (including myself) never even knew it was taking place. Some warning would be ideal  ;)

I really enjoyed the 40 km route this year with the added climbing and brilliant descents :thumbup:  

The route had to be altered from previous years as there is fairly extensive felling that has been happening in the Howick & Karkloof areas recently, which have obviously impacted the available trail network. That said I think Hylt Turvey did a great job with the trails.

Also, for all those considering giving an Enduro style event a go, the 3 main downhills that were on both the 40 km & 60 km routes (the new route off Lebanon, Rene's Rumble & Jewitts Jive) made up the timed stages of the enduro so definitely consider entering next year.

The only slight downer for me was the very rushed enduro prize giving. I think a couple people (including myself) never even knew it was taking place. Some warning would be ideal  ;)

I thought that it was pretty technical. I wasn't complaining - actually loved it....

I was riding my Stumpjumper and I am not exactly fit so was way back, but the bike came in to its own on the downhills.

There were some very grumpy people out there walking some of these sections because they were a bit too much for them but i must have passed about a hundred of them going downhill.

All in all an eye opener for me compared to 10 years ago when i first did this race - that was mainly forest tracks - now you have some serious single track. 

I was there on Sunday. There were quite a lot of people and as usual some great shops.

I was disappointed by the fact that they had the race where I wanted to go cycle though, luckily I only had to wait a short time before they opened it again. Had an amazing downhill session there. Ended up flying over my handle bars. I'm still not used to disc brakes.