Warranty Frame Replacement Complication

Pall Catt

It just blows my mind that people pay big money for a bike with a warranty and when it fails are happy to pay in more money to get their bike running again.

Correct. Because it is the reasonable thing to do under the circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand you are demanding a) that frame manufacturers should be forced to ensure that all new frames are to be indefinately backwardly compatible even at the expense of innovation; and b) that this is to be guaranteed by limitless warranties.

Do you have an ecomomic model that will fund this internally ? Alternatively how much more are you prepared to pay for this guarantee ?

Ummm, as an actuary friend of mine pointed out, surely they could just take out insurance against this type of thing? I'm sure its a very rare occurrence and if its not, then they have a bigger problem on their hands.

Anyway, to update you guys on the outcome, I got my new frame. In some earlier telephonic discussions with Silverback about the possibility of "trading in" the warranty replacement frame and chipping in to get a dual suspension frame instead, they told me that the replacement frame is only worth R1,000 (this was not a misunderstanding, I double checked them on this and they confirmed it). In order to make this frame of any use to me I had to pay R2,500 to rebuild a rear wheel that had nothing wrong with it in the first place. This was the cheapest I could find having shopped around at about 5 or 6 shops but constrained by needing to find a hub with the same diameter flange or alternatively having to pay for 32 new spokes on top of the hub cost, and then also having to buy an axle that would fit with the thread of the new frame's hanger, plus labour for the wheel rebuild of course.

I cant help but feel that I lost out on this one. I also dont necessarily share the excitement shown by some of the responders about how a 2017 frame is somehow so much better than a 2014 frame. This is a pretty entry level aluminium hardtail frame with no moving parts or any real complexities, and so its not like there is much room for technological advances on this pretty ordinary piece of equipment over a period of 3 years.

Lastly, as a bit of an ideological side issue, the whole consumerism attitude of "just buy a new wheel even though there is nothing wrong with the old one" doesn't sit so well with me and I don't like that I was forced to do that. Regardless of how small the resource cost to the planet is in this instance, its the promotion of this principle and how easily accepted it seems to be by fellow hubbers that is rather unsettling and I believe this kind of thing just further conditions us to see it as normal.

Ummm, as an actuary friend of mine pointed out, surely they could just take out insurance against this type of thing? I'm sure its a very rare occurrence and if its not, then they have a bigger problem on their hands.

Anyway, to update you guys on the outcome, I got my new frame. In some earlier telephonic discussions with Silverback about the possibility of "trading in" the warranty replacement frame and chipping in to get a dual suspension frame instead, they told me that the replacement frame is only worth R1,000 (this was not a misunderstanding, I double checked them on this and they confirmed it). In order to make this frame of any use to me I had to pay R2,500 to rebuild a rear wheel that had nothing wrong with it in the first place. This was the cheapest I could find having shopped around at about 5 or 6 shops but constrained by needing to find a hub with the same diameter flange or alternatively having to pay for 32 new spokes on top of the hub cost, and then also having to buy an axle that would fit with the thread of the new frame's hanger, plus labour for the wheel rebuild of course.

I cant help but feel that I lost out on this one. I also dont necessarily share the excitement shown by some of the responders about how a 2017 frame is somehow so much better than a 2014 frame. This is a pretty entry level aluminium hardtail frame with no moving parts or any real complexities, and so its not like there is much room for technological advances on this pretty ordinary piece of equipment over a period of 3 years.

Lastly, as a bit of an ideological side issue, the whole consumerism attitude of "just buy a new wheel even though there is nothing wrong with the old one" doesn't sit so well with me and I don't like that I was forced to do that. Regardless of how small the resource cost to the planet is in this instance, its the promotion of this principle and how easily accepted it seems to be by fellow hubbers that is rather unsettling and I believe this kind of thing just further conditions us to see it as normal.

That really does suck man. I'm sorry.

Just as a matter of interest though, why did you not just say a big Nah to Silverback and buy a brand new Momsen frame from their factory with QR rear for 1000 bucks? 

OR buy the frame from Momsen and sell the SB warranty replacement frame for R1200 bucks and make a profit....

It is an option which would have saved you money, effort and probably some stress as well as stepped you away from SB who you have am iffy feeling towards now.

It sucks that you were forced to jump through hoops... that really is balls. But there are many ways to skin a cat

Edited by Jewbacca

That really does suck man. I'm sorry.

Just as a matter of interest though, why did you not just say a big Nah to Silverback and buy a brand new Momsen frame from their factory with QR rear for 1000 bucks? 

OR buy the frame from Momsen and sell the SB warranty replacement frame for R1200 bucks and make a profit....

It is an option which would have saved you money, effort and probably some stress as well as stepped you away from SB who you have am iffy feeling towards now.

It sucks that you were forced to jump through hoops... that really is balls. But there are many ways to skin a cat

I didn't really know that was an option. Also, it kindof all snowballed the deeper into it had gone. At the outset, I didn't really understand all the complexities surrounding getting a hub replaced and only once I accepted the new frame and the issues started presenting themselves did the costs start racking up and by then I was knee deep.

But thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind for if this ever happens again, or maybe someone else in a similar position in the future will find this thread and use that info.

I didn't really know that was an option. Also, it kindof all snowballed the deeper into it had gone. At the outset, I didn't really understand all the complexities surrounding getting a hub replaced and only once I accepted the new frame and the issues started presenting themselves did the costs start racking up and by then I was knee deep.

But thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind for if this ever happens again, or maybe someone else in a similar position in the future will find this thread and use that info.

I understand.  We are all also guilty for shouting out 'buy some rad hubs' instead of being a bit more level headed.

Sorry man. 

On the other hand I hope your new frame/hub/wheel treats you well. It always sucks when something that is supposed to be exciting and rad is thrust upon you with a slightly sour aftertaste.

Enjoy the bike and stay rubber side down... unless your mates are filming! Spectacular crashes are always worth having

It sucks man; I do however commend you for the attitude of "just replace it" needs tempering.

we do love our n+1 motto however, sometimes to the extreme

Hope you come right without getting ripped a new one

This is a classic example of how the cycle industry screws their customers over and how their customers have become complacent and are accepting this.

A warranty promises a buyer that their product is free from material defect for a period of time. Now that their product has failed, they replace it with something you cannot use without you having to spend thousands of Rands. Why must you spend more money because their product has not met the quality standard that they said it had when you bought it?

Don't be fooled into believing that they are upgrading you. I cannot see how a different paint scheme and a different way of attaching a wheel to the frame is an upgrade. If they gave you a carbon frame, then yes, that is an upgrade.

I would argue this with Silverback. They have one of the best reputations as far as warranties are concerned and I'm sure they will do the right thing and make things right.

Bicycles have become rediculously expensive and it's time for the industry to start offering proper warranties to their customers that are shelling out big bucks for their products.

Yip, this is the right answer. Silverback have sold you a product which has proven defective and now the onus is on you to spend money...unacceptable in my books.

Its not only the cost of the hub by the way, but the cost of the transfer of components too.

They should be footing the bill in its entirety. Simple really.