Tokai open on Freedom Day (27 Apr, 2017) - Bike Mob

(Deon)

As I think was also discussed at the AGM, what you (and the rest of us) would like does not fit in with SANParks modus operandi. 

The real question you and everyone else needs to ask is "Do I want a growing network of trails at Tokai despite TMNP's lack of input? " Yes? Okay, then join the club for a truly negligible  amount and help make that a reality. 

I actually think the R500 for the year is pretty cheap when you look at Tygetberg prices. Yes, I know you get so many farms and loads of trails. I've been a member for a while up north and even when Tokai was shut I didn't ride half of them and only a hand full regularly. So I've got no qualms to match up funds to the general level of other trail networks because I'd love to have more trails up there and support those who are doing the yards for everyone else. 

Way I look at it is my TMNP pass is that, a TMNP pass not just a Tokai riding permit. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as it sucks, I know that none of our fees go towards trail maintenance and this costs money and time.  It's for that reason that I help out with trail builds when I can, and means that I would also pay to join a club if I knew that the cash was going directly into the trails.

It would be nice if the permit fees went into the trails, but I understand it for what it is. 

As much as it sucks, I know that none of our fees go towards trail maintenance and this costs money and time.  It's for that reason that I help out with trail builds when I can, and means that I would also pay to join a club if I knew that the cash was going directly into the trails.

It would be nice if the permit fees went into the trails, but I understand it for what it is. 

Thank you!

And just to put it out there.. we really have tried every possible avenue short of going out to tender. Asking the public to contribute was always Plan Z. 

Hi all, I noticed on the TokaiMTB site that it says that night riding is allowed. Is this correct? 

Hi all, I noticed on the TokaiMTB site that it says that night riding is allowed. Is this correct? 

No. Hours are strictly weekends, according to their summer and winter riding times (7-6 & 8-5) and then when we are able to get special openings like tomorrow.

EDIT: Just seen that the site stipulates this. Yes, there's a separate tab for night riding, but it ALSO says that night riding isn't available until further notice.

As does the landing page. 

Night riding won't be available for some time still, we are working on it but we can't see it being possible while we still have limited/weekend only access. A note was published to the page on the site, marked with asterisk (*). 

Hi Guys, I have never been to Tokai and would like to go there either tomorrow or during the weekend.  Can anyone inform me as to where I can obtain a day permit and where is the best place to park?  Thanks

Hi Guys, I have never been to Tokai and would like to go there either tomorrow or during the weekend. Can anyone inform me as to where I can obtain a day permit and where is the best place to park? Thanks

Hey CJ. At the picnic spot on the rhs as you're driving up tokai road towards the mountain. Day permit at the guard hut at the entry to the picnic area. R75 for the day

Hi Guys, I have never been to Tokai and would like to go there either tomorrow or during the weekend.  Can anyone inform me as to where I can obtain a day permit and where is the best place to park?  Thanks

post-35907-0-17470200-1493211586_thumb.png

Thanks!

If you want to get an annual pass and the office is shut (Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays) I got mine at Kirstenbosch at the tourist office. 

No. Hours are strictly weekends, according to their summer and winter riding times (7-6 & 8-5) and then when we are able to get special openings like tomorrow.

EDIT: Just seen that the site stipulates this. Yes, there's a separate tab for night riding, but it ALSO says that night riding isn't available until further notice.

As does the landing page. 

I was fairly sure it wasn't allowed but it wasn't 100% clear. Thanks for clarification and well done on getting access tomorrow. 

If you want to get an annual pass and the office is shut (Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays) I got mine at Kirstenbosch at the tourist office. 

I was fairly sure it wasn't allowed but it wasn't 100% clear. Thanks for clarification and well done on getting access tomorrow. 

Ok, now I am confused again.  I will be driving through from Somerset West tomorrow, public holiday.  Will the ticket office be open tomorrow or do I need to go to Kirstenbosch to get a day pass?

Ok, now I am confused again.  I will be driving through from Somerset West tomorrow, public holiday.  Will the ticket office be open tomorrow or do I need to go to Kirstenbosch to get a day pass?

yes for day pass, no for annual pass

and dont go to kirstenbosch, go straigh to Tokai you will be stopped at the boom, pay there and Enjoy

yes for day pass, no for annual pass

and dont go to kirstenbosch, go straigh to Tokai you will be stopped at the boom, pay there and Enjoy

:thumbup: 

Just thought, are we in winter or summer times for tomorrow? 

Archived