What is a marathon bike vs a trail bike

Slowbee

While in the bike shop the guys were talking about the silverback range, as I was interested in a 650b. ( I dont know if I am ready for a 29er yet). They said the silverback 650b was more a trail bike and "relaxed riding, while the 29er was more marathon.

Now I enjoy my 26er Titus Racer X, but parts are becoming expensive and difficult to get hold of.

What I want to know is how exactly does a trail bike differ from a marathon bike. Terms like relaxed geometry and stuff done mean much to me, what does it mean it terms of riding.

And before you ask, the majority of riding is for rides like S2C, Munga, Jonkershoek etc.

So looking for some help in translating jargon into real life feel.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like jeep track xc bike. If you like single track trail bike.

Trail bike is more forgiving and allows you to make more mistakes without throwing you over the bars.

You are more relaxed and comfortable on a trail bike because your weight is further back. Head angle is slacker giving u better stability in rough.

Xc bike head angle is steep so very twitchy in the rough. Your

Weight is moved forward over the front so descents seem steeper than they really are, hence so many nervous riders out on the trails when on xc bikes.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you like jeep track xc bike. If you like single track trail bike.

Trail bike is more forgiving and allows you to make more mistakes without throwing you over the bars.

You are more relaxed and comfortable on a trail bike because your weight is further back. Head angle is slacker giving u better stability in rough.

Xc bike head angle is steep so very twitchy in the rough. Your

Weight is moved forward over the front so descents seem steeper than they really are, hence so many nervous riders out on the trails when on xc bikes.

^^this. 

Your post is solid. However this is drivel.

Nyet. He's spot on. It's meant as a general statement. Trail bikes are better at singletrack than xc bikes for the large majority of riders. XC bikes are better at eating miles on jeep track. 

It's simplistic, but true. 

Nyet. He's spot on. It's meant as a general statement. Trail bikes are better at singletrack than xc bikes for the large majority of riders. XC bikes are better at eating miles on jeep track.

It's simplistic, but true.

Sure.

So, is there a difference between a Trail bike and a marathon bike? Everybody is explaining what a XC bike is and not what a marathon bike is.

So, is there a difference between a Trail bike and a marathon bike? Everybody is explaining what a XC bike is and not what a marathon bike is.

Travel, head angle. Reach. Stem. Possibly bars.

Your post is solid. However this is drivel.

Apologies. I should have phrased that better.

Marathon bikes usually are the same as xc bikes but have space for extra bottle storage.

I'm trying to decide between these 2 bikes at the moment.I've ridden both a few times and both great bikes.

As it's already been said the trail bike is a little relaxed and turns a little slower on the downhills.It's more stable than the Marathon bike and gives some extra confidence on the descents.

Climbing i actually can't feel the difference between the 2 but then again I'm as slow as a tortoise.

The trail bike is only 400grams heavier.

140mm Trail Bike

post-5455-0-12933100-1493403353_thumb.png

1558204f48adc0ff65686b7bad563.jpg

120mm Marathon bike

post-5455-0-12933100-1493403353_thumb.png

a2b44f9c526b4bd403b078a446e26.jpg

Slow one, you have lots of hub mates with one or other of the bikes you may be interested in. I am sure that, if you asked, they would be more than willing for you to try out their rides to help you make up your mind. Therefore, my advice is for you to ask, try the bikes out, and then decide. In this way you will make an informed decision on your next steed - the best way to make these decisions. My personal advice: a Giant Anthem. Ciao.

IMHO Munga and S2C = 29er. The end.

Normally I would agree with that, John Ntuli wouldnt though after winning the first Munga on a 650b.

I'm trying to decide between these 2 bikes at the moment.I've ridden both a few times and both great bikes.

As it's already been said the trail bike is a little relaxed and turns a little slower on the downhills.It's more stable than the Marathon bike and gives some extra confidence on the descents.

Climbing i actually can't feel the difference between the 2 but then again I'm as slow as a tortoise.

The trail bike is only 400grams heavier.

140mm Trail Bike

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-04-28 at 19.55.24.png

120mm Marathon bike

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-04-28 at 19.55.24.png

The Trail bike...all day long!!

You admit to not being a climber so why even consider buying the bike more focussed on climbing? 90% of "normal" bikers will benefit more from from riding a trail bike (more comfortable, more stable, more forgiving). Leave the marathon bikes to the truely serious racing snakes. 

Archived