Best tire combination

James22

And still current. Still many of those tyres in existence. Plus it's still getting posts at a good rate.

What does it matter when it started, as long as it's still relevant and getting updates?

It is hey. Not as fast as your post count but still not too shabby. Edited by Vetseun

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea I'm sure there is. We know there is he clearly didn't.

Be lekker man

+1. Agree. Looks like a bit of noob bashing to me. But that is my opinion.

Just fitted 2 Spez ground controls. Pretty fsmn good thus far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I also enjoy them.

I have crossmarks to answer your question James. I also have a saddlebag though. So don't listen to me. Bike came like that

Just fitted 2 Spez ground controls. Pretty fsmn good thus far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

yip, they do what they say on the sidewall.

i prefer to run a fasttrak at the back for XCM.

If the OP can post some kind of budget, tubeless/not, etc it may be easier to get relevant info on a new thread rather than the huge other thread ☺

I would also start a new thread. 50 plus pages is filled with a crap load of opinions and to go through all of it will take too long

Net so ja.

Being pointed toward existing threads is the best option IMO. The search function on this site is mighty useful but seems largely underutilised. Even if you only start around page 40 of the existing thread, you will find plenty info on trail tire combos.

That being said, combos that are frequently discussed (in front/rear orientation) are: Onza Ibex/Canis or Citius/Ibex, Maxxis DHF/DHR or DHF/Aggressor or DHF/Minion SS, Specialized Butcher/Ground control, Shwalbe Magic Mary/Rock Razor or Magic Mary/Hans Dampf. WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss among many others.

But there is also more to it including general riding terrain, budget, wheel setup, tire casing, rubber compound etc. The existing thread covers all that, it just requires it being read in detail.

Hi everyone

I have a trail bike and am looking to get new tires, What combination is best for mixed terain trail riding?

Share what you ride with me and how well it works/races.

Thanks in advance.

I run Tubless Maxxis Ardent race and Maxxis Ikon. Grips well

My current BRAZA /Suguaro combo served me well - and due for a replacement. Actually the best tyres I have owned so far.

But they are expensive...

Also hoped for some recommendations for tyres currently available without reading through a 5 year old thread over 1.5 k posts including off the topic commends and opinions.

Didn't mean to "Noob bash". Just provided the link coz I thought it would be alot faster to read the existing thread than wait for new replies... There is alot of very helpful info on the existing thread, and as Myles has mentioned it is still relevant and getting plenty of new posts.

My 2c on AM tyres, Onza Cannis rear and Ibex front for more pedally AM riding. WTB Trail Boss rear and Vigilante front for less pedally rides. Both combinations have served me very well.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Didn't mean to "Noob bash". Just provided the link coz I thought it would be alot faster to read the existing thread than wait for new replies... There is alot of very helpful info on the existing thread, and as Myles has mentioned it is still relevant and getting plenty of new posts.

My 2c on AM tyres, Onza Cannis rear and Ibex front for more pedally AM riding. WTB Trail Boss rear and Vigilante front for less pedally rides. Both combinations have served me very well.

I didn't think you were noob bashing imho

I've been checking the AM thread and there is a lot there a ton of info and opinion in there that is worth reading but as Chav' has well summerized there are some pretty standard combos coming out of that.

One thing that I picked up from the OP's post is that he's more trail biased and also mentioned racing and that makes me think that there might be better combos for that than a lot of the enduro / gravity recommendations in the AM thread.

As for the 'search' function. To be honest I try to use it but it's sketchy at best. I've put in exact thread titles and it doesn't find it. Even with pretty specific searching it still checks back some super vague results. I'll admit out of frustration I've started a new post to try to get the info I knew was in an older one I just couldn't find.

Not noob bashing at all. That other thread doesnt only contain AM/DH tyre combinations and reviews / opinions thereof, but also trail and xc tyre combinations. It's far easier to read through and get a very detailed view of the various options available than to start another thread and request the same info.