Oval Chainrings - CSIXX vs ABSOLUTE BLACK

MTB G

Even if swopped around and 'turned around' if that makes sense? Just thinking at some point it will look the same as the right way round .... I could be smokin my socks though :whistling:

Try it... the timing of the oval is not symmetric to the bolt layout. You will have a wrong timing so it will feel awful and not work at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try it... the timing of the oval is not symmetric to the bolt layout. You will have a wrong timing so it will feel awful and not work at all

OK sorry I am clearly technically challenged sadly  :ph34r:

you just flip it and rotate it 90deg. Done. Ovality preserved. Unless it's oval and assymetric. 

Doesn't matter if the ovality isn't symmetric / in line with the bolt pattern. Only trouble you'll have is if you're running an M8000/M9000/M7000 or a direct mount job. 

If you're running 104 BCD and have made your own spacers, you'll be fine. 

you just flip it and rotate it 90deg. Done. Ovality preserved. 

That's what I thought Captain but it would appear I am smoking my socks?

That's what I thought Captain but it would appear I am smoking my socks?

you have to flip it (as in outside faces in) and then rotate it through 90 deg. Will only work on a 104bcd / 94bcd crank and on a ring with no offset. 

If you just flip it, the ovality is 90deg out. On a new shimano crank, you can't rotate it 90deg. On a DM crank, you can't rotate it as it has 3 securing bolts that have to be in a specific position. If it's got an offset, the offset will now be in the wrong direction...

So ja. Only possible on cranks with a 104bcd or 94bcd whose arms are in the good old normal orientation.

you have to flip it (as in outside faces in) and then rotate it through 90 deg. Will only work on a 104bcd / 94bcd crank and on a ring with no offset. 

If you just flip it, the ovality is 90deg out. On a new shimano crank, you can't rotate it 90deg. On a DM crank, you can't rotate it as it has 3 securing bolts that have to be in a specific position. If it's got an offset, the offset will now be in the wrong direction...

So ja. Only possible on cranks with a 104bcd or 94bcd whose arms are in the good old normal orientation.

post-271-0-89507100-1494321098_thumb.jpg

I would be glad to be taught. Will try that when the time comes. Nothing wrong with getting even more life out of this ring :).

One complication would be that the 32t104BCD Oval AB and probably some other brands as well have the thread and spacer machined in as part of the ring in order to make the design possible. But that could be mcguyvered....

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at getting a Csixx oval chainring for my Sram GX gearset but I'm unsure about which offset I should get. Any advice? 

I'm looking at getting a Csixx oval chainring for my Sram GX gearset but I'm unsure about which offset I should get. Any advice?

6mm offset for standard 142x12mm rear hub spacing.

3mm offset for boost 148x12mm rear hub offset.

0mm offset for Cannondale spacing or special cases.

I would be glad to be taught. Will try that when the time comes. Nothing wrong with getting even more life out of this ring :).

One complication would be that the 32t104BCD Oval AB and probably some other brands as well have the thread and spacer machined in as part of the ring in order to make the design possible. But that could be mcguyvered....

Well actually,... You won't get more life out of the ring. The pitch between teeth will still be enlarged.

The dedendum of the gear teeth will still be worn. In short the chain ring is worn.

It will still wear your chain out faster

6mm offset for standard 142x12mm rear hub spacing.

3mm offset for boost 148x12mm rear hub offset.

0mm offset for Cannondale spacing or special cases.

For cannondale Si the offset is 6mm, same as for any other 142x12

If using cannondale spider ring on a hollow gram Crank then offset is 0mm

For cannondale Si the offset is 6mm, same as for any other 142x12

If using cannondale spider ring on a hollow gram Crank then offset is 0mm

Yup, probably shoulda specified that.

Archived