Sondela 2017 road race

bmw1za

True. Organising team were very friendly and nice setup. The Oom providing live entertainment by belting out some of his favourite tunes was a bit odd, in a nice way though. let's hope he is back as i may just put in a request

I think the oom you refer to is a contestant in The Voice called Fatman.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some advice. If you are doing late entry take cash with you. I had to go and find an atm after filling out the forms.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

sniff sniff ... atchoooo 

damn i hope its not a 3 degree start, my sniffles will not be happy 

I'm strangely looking forward to suffering and sprinting for my 1359th place :blink:  

I rode VB. In no time we caught the ladies who started 5 minutes before us, and they sat in the bunch for the rest of the way. I lasted up to the 45km mark when we still averaged 41km/h. After that I limped along at 30-32km/h until the front of VC came past, and hooked a ride with them to the finish for the last 25km at a nicely elevated speed. Finished at a flattering 38km/h ;)

The section through Settlers was a bit unnerving, dodging bottles, train tracks and pot holes. Luckily unaware of any crashes!

PS: The beta used for seeding the race at 0.62 was slightly lower than what I was hoping for, but still fair I believe

And?

How was it?

Good size field?

It was fast, ferocious & flat!

LOL

Rode VA, about 70 Strong in the start pen!

It was balls to the wall from the gun, averaged close to 45km/h for 12-15kms.

Plus on Cold legs, it wasn't easy at all.

Strong teams surging in the front, Deloitte Activize, Formacon & Esmero taking turns to cover attacks & up the speeds...

About 20 guys broke the bunch into smithereens about 5-6 kms in & went all the way to the finish.

Road surface was brash, hard but do-able.

Left turn at 45km, it was Gutters till the 72km mark left turn. Have to be focused and fit to stay in the pack here. Guys upfront again taking turns, we rotated nicely to keep up the pace. Then, left turn on 72km mark, slight tail wind, bunch got together & blistered the pace close to 50km/h all the way till the line. Again, attacks watered down, pace kept up & it was survival of the fittest till the line. Slower groups from the shorter rides did cause some issues but nothing to shout about. 5/6 guys broke away for the sprint.

Finished 4th overall.

Awesome race, lovely weather & racing.

It was fast, ferocious & flat!

LOL

Rode VA, about 70 Strong in the start pen!

It was balls to the wall from the gun, averaged close to 45km/h for 12-15kms.

Plus on Cold legs, it wasn't easy at all.

Strong teams surging in the front, Deloitte Activize, Formacon & Esmero taking turns to cover attacks & up the speeds...

About 20 guys broke the bunch into smithereens about 5-6 kms in & went all the way to the finish.

Road surface was brash, hard but do-able.

Left turn at 45km, it was Gutters till the 72km mark left turn. Have to be focused and fit to stay in the pack here. Guys upfront again taking turns, we rotated nicely to keep up the pace. Then, left turn on 72km mark, slight tail wind, bunch got together & blistered the pace close to 50km/h all the way till the line. Again, attacks watered down, pace kept up & it was survival of the fittest till the line. Slower groups from the shorter rides did cause some issues but nothing to shout about. 5/6 guys broke away for the sprint.

Finished 4th overall.

Awesome race, lovely weather & racing.

Well Done.

Who took the win?

I rode VB. In no time we caught the ladies who started 5 minutes before us, and they sat in the bunch for the rest of the way. I lasted up to the 45km mark when we still averaged 41km/h. After that I limped along at 30-32km/h until the front of VC came past, and hooked a ride with them to the finish for the last 25km at a nicely elevated speed. Finished at a flattering 38km/h ;)

The section through Settlers was a bit unnerving, dodging bottles, train tracks and pot holes. Luckily unaware of any crashes!

PS: The beta used for seeding the race at 0.62 was slightly lower than what I was hoping for, but still fair I believe

Then they should be DQed

Looking at the ave speed I thought it should be faster since it is more flat than the emperors. Was it windy or maybe because the field was not that strong?

Looking at the ave speed I thought it should be faster since it is more flat than the emperors. Was it windy or maybe because the field was not that strong?

Last time I did it a few years ago, It was very windy for most of the race. Only towards the end it was a tail wind.

It was lekker for me in the VB group until the left turn at 45km... I felt like there was a vacuum sacking me from the back to isolate me from the group. I was right in the middle but I ended up solo an the group just vanished in front of my eyes. I asked myself what went wrong, I need advises from the hubbers on how to stay with the group after similar 45km left turns for my future races. Why am I always not able to stay with my group till the end? it was the same at Emperors, I start well but I get sucked out by this invisible vacuum that targets just myself.

Well Done.

Who took the win?

Officially it was Karabo Swartz from Bestmed ASG, but Heino Van Zyl won from the sprint from where I seen. Heino's times not registered on racetec but gave him 1st place at the prize giving!

There was headwind for 72kms in the race!

Elite - 2:35

Tandem - 2:36

Ladies - 2:53

VA - 2:41

VB - 2:38

VC - 2:43

Archived