Repainting Balance Bike

daniemare

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out whether it will be worth it respraying a children's balance bike (Muna) or just buy a new one (I suspect). The bike is still in great nick, but I am considering a fresh coat of paint - especially if it needs to be passed along to the next little one.

So, in the Western Cape area (Cape Town, Stellenbosch etc), where is best to find out about options and prices.

Thanks

PS - let this not become a thread about why I do not want to buy the next kid a new one or not. If I can get a very good paint job for 30% or less than a new bike price, the rest can go to university saving.

Respray. New will set you back at least 2 grand for an equivalent. You can strip and respray yourself if you're so inclined. Sandblasting will cost you around R200. Don't know how much a spray would cost but for a kids bike I'm sure you could negotiate something reasonable.

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out whether it will be worth it respraying a children's balance bike (Muna) or just buy a new one (I suspect). The bike is still in great nick, but I am considering a fresh coat of paint - especially if it needs to be passed along to the next little one.

So, in the Western Cape area (Cape Town, Stellenbosch etc), where is best to find out about options and prices.

Thanks

PS - let this not become a thread about why I do not want to buy the next kid a new one or not. If I can get a very good paint job for 30% or less than a new bike price, the rest can go to university saving.

I did a semi respray, by hand - using spray cans.

started with this (ok, stripped already). daughter wanted a pink bike, and i had got this white one(basically tu sue the wheels to build a wooden one for her little brother - another story altogether!)

post-1830-0-23674100-1493984210.jpg

did some research online - think this was my main source of info. - http://www.spraypaintyourbikeframe.com/ used Rustoleum i think it is, about R140 a can.

post-1830-0-96684900-1493984272_thumb.jpg

and ended up with this(yes, I know the fork was backwards for this pic!)

post-1830-0-94475900-1493984231_thumb.jpg

PROS:

repurpose a bike

personal satsifaction from project and then kid enjoying it

CONS:

it's not a 5 minute job

not a new bike

Paint stripper , good primer and automotive spray paint should give A very pro looking paint job

Do it yourself....

Strip the bike down

Sand the chips and scratches till smooth with 400 grit

Rattlecan undercoat on any raw metal

Use a proper quality rattlecan 2k auto paint and spray the frame in your garden.

Final sand and polish

Reassemble - Done....

You can hang the frame on a broomstick knocked into the lawn - the friction of the frame in the headset tube will hold it up - just make sure the broomstick is deep enough to not fall over.

The worst that will happen is you might have to fix some drips and repaint - not a big deal... just go slowly,

if its steel and don't feel like the DIY, get is shot blasted and powder coated, if you find the right place it will be very reasonable.

I did a semi respray, by hand - using spray cans.

started with this (ok, stripped already). daughter wanted a pink bike, and i had got this white one(basically tu sue the wheels to build a wooden one for her little brother - another story altogether!)

attachicon.giffayebike0.jpg

did some research online - think this was my main source of info. - http://www.spraypaintyourbikeframe.com/ used Rustoleum i think it is, about R140 a can.

attachicon.giffayebike2.jpg

and ended up with this(yes, I know the fork was backwards for this pic!)

attachicon.giffayebike.jpg

PROS:

repurpose a bike

personal satsifaction from project and then kid enjoying it

CONS:

it's not a 5 minute job

not a new bike

Nice finish

I did a JD bug a few years ago.

Sanded the metal, primed the frame with Plascon Steel Primer (spray can), and repainted also with Plascon Spray paint. Took about 4 days, lasted 3 years.

Do not use cheap spray paint. It does not cover well.

Cost then was R 300 for materials. Well worth it

I was just upset the reassembled pink one has the fork on the wrong way around, but glad you fixed it.  Nice work. :)

Considering doing same with my Daughters hand me down to my son... Just dreading the amount of work thats going to go into it... 

I'll be doing it myself though... Probably get the kids to help...

I was just upset the reassembled pink one has the fork on the wrong way around, but glad you fixed it.  Nice work. :)

ha ha, ja it was late on Dec24th when it got finished, and I had had a few dops by then - just never took a proper pic again.

got picked up pretty quickly on my whatsapp group, so ja much ribbing ensued.

Someone I know did this a while back.

Sorry have no idea who did the job or what it cost.

There were some powder coating and "dipping" involved I was told :whistling:

before :

post-7189-0-19865000-1493988814_thumb.jpgpost-7189-0-56070000-1493988835_thumb.jpg

AFTER

post-7189-0-78132700-1493988848_thumb.jpgpost-7189-0-23581200-1493988894_thumb.jpg

Thansk everybody. Very helpful contributions from all.

Now I feel a bit daft for adding the PS.

Thansk everybody. Very helpful contributions from all.

Now I feel a bit daft for adding the PS.

cool.

another option is to strip the bike and lightly sand.

then take to the panelbeater and ask them what colours they are spraying soon for cars. take your pick there.

did that for a fork once, was cheap as chips in the end!

Do it yourself....

Strip the bike down

Sand the chips and scratches till smooth with 400 grit

Rattlecan undercoat on any raw metal

Use a proper quality rattlecan 2k auto paint and spray the frame in your garden.

Final sand and polish

Reassemble - Done...,

Know where to get that 2K in a rattlecan is the RSA?

Archived