Newbie MTB riders wanting some advise

When you remove the tires a bike is small enough to fit into most cars. old blanket to protect the car from a dirty bike, and another between the two bikes and you are sorted.  For starters, dont blow your budget on "other" stuff, not when there are other options to start out with.

IF you go the hydraulic brake route, which is in your budget, then DONT press the brakes with the wheels removed .... better still, just ask your LBS for the plastic clips they insert into the brake calipers.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehehe ....

gotta love it when people reply without READING a full post .....

Being on a budget I suggested the gloves go with various other items that will be bought over time.

Just not possible for the ordinary person to buy each and every item when they start out.

Almost a year down the line, and I still dont have a pair of glasses ..... 

and no, I dont have gloves, never had gloves, and not interested in getting gloves.  The ONE hard fall I had on a bike really gaffed my elbows .... for the ordinary trail/gravel rider a full body suit is hardly needed.

but that is just my humble opinion - as a commuter and recreational MTB cyclist.  Understandably "snakes" (racers) and downhillers etc would have a different set of requirements.

I did read your entire post, I just don't agree with you and still don't. 

To me gloves are like a helmet, they are essential kit. You might never fall, you might fall and get hurt on other things, but there are little things as uncomfortable as having to pick gravel out of your palm and not be able to use your hands properly for +- 1.5 weeks.

But hey different strokes.

BIKE RACK - ooooohhh .... now here is a hole different can of worms !!

Thuli, Hold Fast and ??? are the three most common brands (damned if I can now recall the name of the third)

Basic options :

On the roof - https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks?q=oTG5gmK3v

MANY pics of people that forgot about the bike and drove into the garage .... :( :(

one very nice benefit - no dust on the bike ...

Hatch brackets - https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks

does NOT work on all cars !!!!  newer cars often have wrap around glass on the hatch, then you cant use these brackets - directly from the Thule guys.  They would not sell this for my one car.

Spare wheel - https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-spare-met-963pro-_-963pro

nice option .... but limited to a specific type of vehicle. 

also check if the door is strong enough for the extra weight .. some instances of doors bending and/or delaminating.

TOWBAR - here you have two basic options

- quick clip units - (this is a two bike unit) - https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-xpress-_-970000

It is a TIGHT fit for the two bikes !!  You will need some poodle-noodles to prevent damage ...

the three bike version is NOT a "quick-clip" unit, it must be bolted onto the towbar.

The problem with the above units - THEFT .... the only way to try and prevent theft is to use a cable and lock ... too many instances of the whole rack being unclipped and carried away with the bike !!

jumping a number of variants, we go to :

- Lockable units - https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-velocompact-927-_-927

This three bike unit goes for a tidy R10k ... But the rack is a quick clip onto the towbar, then locked in place.  Each bike is placed, secured, then locked in place.  And even with everything in place it is 2 second action to tilt the rack forward in order to open the boot or hatch (obviously dont help for side opening back doors).

Many of the "smaller" racks in the classifieds as people end up buying lockable options.  These are perfect for fun rides - you are either at your car or riding the bike .... the problems start when you go on holiday and have keep an eye on your bikes because you dont have a lockable rack ....

Buzzrack  :thumbup:

I did read your entire post, I just don't agree with you and still don't. 

To me gloves are like a helmet, they are essential kit. You might never fall, you might fall and get hurt on other things, but there are little things as uncomfortable as having to pick gravel out of your palm and not be able to use your hands properly for +- 1.5 weeks.

But hey different strokes.

I agree. I had several smaller slides on hard gravel roads where smallish animals ran into me. Falling on that surface at a lowish speed caused a lot of damage to the open parts of my fingers. Can only imagine what my hands would have looked like if I dod not wear gloves.

For all my research I seem to have completely missed the point that Momsen bikes are made in PE. What the heck? I feel like I've been living under a rock. Any other local manufacturers? Or am I missing the plot here?

Titan- nothing wrong with their bikes

PYGA- Botique brand at a cost.(flippen awesome if you can afford it)

Hey There :D

I'm Also a newbie... Been going through the same struggles...

So knew absolutely nothing a month ago, but feel a bit knowledgeable now. :thumbup:

Couldn't for the life of me decide on a bike, ended up getting the Titan Expert 29er from Cycle lab... It was on special, fetched it at R7999 and the guys did the tubeless conversion for free and the service was awesome.

I rate it would be worth your while to check if the bike is still on special and in stock because it comes with hydraulic breaks as well as an air shock, remote lockout and tubeless ready tires. It also looks great and is awesome to ride.

I just got a cool first ascent helmet from sportsman's for the 25% discovery discount and a cheap bike cage, a pair of shorts from MrP sport for R279 then got a pair of gloves for R150 from linden cycles(was insanely difficult to find nice looking gloves, especially cheap ones) and yeah was on my way, will start stocking up on things like tire repair things and bombs soon.

Just a tip... taking the wheels off and putting it in the car is a mission(Did it three times and I couldn't take it), I drive a little polo, I opted for a roof rack because it seemed the best option, and i found a great deal on the hub, the bike feels secure on the roof and the drive is good(Thule wingbars and a proride), I was worried about damage from the boot racks and didn't want to fit a tow bar. The roof rack is awesome, I would recommend it any day, its really just hassle free.

But all in all, good luck, have fun, R20k is a lot but it starts to add up slowly...

I said to my girlfriend that im never going to spend more than 5k on a bike... ended up buying one for 8k, then I said that I'm not going to spend more than 1.5k on transportation... yup the roof rack fitted came to 4k  :lol:  was set on spending 10k in total but I added up yesterday and just reached the 15k mark and I still want all these nice things especially shoes and pedals :drool:

But the moral of it all is, I've spent a load, it still hurts a bit... but I wait in anticipation for Sunday to throw my bike on the car and hit the trails, its just so fun... Makes it worth it :clap:

Don't forget to budget for cycling shorts / bibs....

Yes, and a cycle computer. But here you can get a very cheap one to start out with.

Yes, and a cycle computer. But here you can get a very cheap one to start out with.

I bought the wireless ryder one, the cheap one thats like 299...

Just had problems with it not working, returned it and am just tracking with the Apple Activity App, its also pretty cool for now.

Planning to get a cateye, heard that those are good.

Hey There :D

I'm Also a newbie... Been going through the same struggles...

So knew absolutely nothing a month ago, but feel a bit knowledgeable now. :thumbup:

Couldn't for the life of me decide on a bike, ended up getting the Titan Expert 29er from Cycle lab... It was on special, fetched it at R7999 and the guys did the tubeless conversion for free and the service was awesome.

I rate it would be worth your while to check if the bike is still on special and in stock because it comes with hydraulic breaks as well as an air shock, remote lockout and tubeless ready tires. It also looks great and is awesome to ride.

I just got a cool first ascent helmet from sportsman's for the 25% discovery discount and a cheap bike cage, a pair of shorts from MrP sport for R279 then got a pair of gloves for R150 from linden cycles(was insanely difficult to find nice looking gloves, especially cheap ones) and yeah was on my way, will start stocking up on things like tire repair things and bombs soon.

Just a tip... taking the wheels off and putting it in the car is a mission(Did it three times and I couldn't take it), I drive a little polo, I opted for a roof rack because it seemed the best option, and i found a great deal on the hub, the bike feels secure on the roof and the drive is good(Thule wingbars and a proride), I was worried about damage from the boot racks and didn't want to fit a tow bar. The roof rack is awesome, I would recommend it any day, its really just hassle free.

But all in all, good luck, have fun, R20k is a lot but it starts to add up slowly...

I said to my girlfriend that im never going to spend more than 5k on a bike... ended up buying one for 8k, then I said that I'm not going to spend more than 1.5k on transportation... yup the roof rack fitted came to 4k  :lol:  was set on spending 10k in total but I added up yesterday and just reached the 15k mark and I still want all these nice things especially shoes and pedals :drool:

But the moral of it all is, I've spent a load, it still hurts a bit... but I wait in anticipation for Sunday to throw my bike on the car and hit the trails, its just so fun... Makes it worth it :clap:

Thanks a bunch

What about shoes? I want to stick to flat pedals for now, but which shoes would work best?

Thanks a bunch

What about shoes? I want to stick to flat pedals for now, but which shoes would work best?

I wouldn't know what works best just yet...

But currently I ride with the standard pedals and trainers and its pretty good.

I just want to switch to cleats, so will hopefully buy gear soon, but yeah will most probably opt for the cheaper options. :lol:

I was advised to get my tire repair things first tho.

I wouldn't know what works best just yet...

But currently I ride with the standard pedals and trainers and its pretty good.

I just want to switch to cleats, so will hopefully buy gear soon, but yeah will most probably opt for the cheaper options. :lol:

I was advised to get my tire repair things first tho.

Why cleats? Is it really that much better?

Thanks a bunch

I love my flat pedals !!

Have used my office shoes for the commute, now use an older set of tekkies for the commute.

On the trail - tekkies and flat pedals.

but hey, I use SHORT socks ... so dont take advise from me !  :devil:

I love my flat pedals !!

Have used my office shoes for the commute, now use an older set of tekkies for the commute.

On the trail - tekkies and flat pedals.

but hey, I use SHORT socks ... so dont take advise from me !  :devil:

Advise taken! As a fellow short socks rider.

Why cleats? Is it really that much better?

Yes and no.

It's a hard question to give an answer to because of personal preference. I would never go back to flats because there is no actual proof that they are better for the riding I do, only attribute to a higher fun factor and help to develop skills.

The best would be for you to stay on flats until you can ride semi decent and manage the technical bits without falling off, and have good technique(knowing how and when to shift your weight, cornering etc. etc.) then try clipless

Advise taken! As a fellow short socks rider.

Just no.

Archived