Medical aid

Waiting periods can be either 3 month general (excl emergencies, mostly) and 12 month or lower for condition specific stuff. 3 month is standard for everyone, 12 month is only if you have a pre-existing condition.

At for the cap - what they (the detractors) don't say is that more than 99% of claims are UNDER that cap. So even though there's a cap, it's still bloody worthwhile to get GAP cover.

Different companies allow different waiting periods. If you need comprehensive advice on both scheme and gap cover and risks/shortfalls associated with certain choices from an independent advisor. Let me know.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not have GAP cover until reading through the messages and advice.... Promptly got hold of Disco and all sorted...

The hub actually helped with sound advice...who would have guessed :ph34r:

Thanks Myles (and the others) for helping with this.. [emoji106]

I would definitely advise you look at alternative providers of Gap cover to compare with the cover and price you are currently getting from the Discovery Gap product

IMO Sanlam or PPS. Simple, straightforward (comprehensive) cover. Sanlam's claim process more efficient and turnaround time quicker. PPS - Profit Share Account.

It's best to get someone to do a specific needs analysis on you and recommend based on that. If you need independent advice let me know and I can point you in the right direction

You can change between Medical Aid’s any time during the year. You can change between plans from the same provider on 1 January every year.

You may downgrade schemes at anytime of the year. Some schemes allow upgrades within the year due to life changing event. Schemes will launch their 2018 product choices in September and October.

Between medical aids - "any time" of the year, subject to the exclusion policies.

Between plans at a given medical aid - in December, for the new calendar year.

BUT, there are some exceptions .... At Discovery you could upgrade to a more expensive plan during the year, IF there was a major change in medical status - this was a few years back, NOT sure if this still applies, nor what waiting periods might go with such a move. NOT meant as a quick fix for a surgery mid year !

You cant upgrade mid year with Discovery sadly.

Currently I'm paying R4400 / month for a family of 5 ( Disco, coastal core without savings and vitality) the quote from Momentum is R3500/ month for their equivalent plan. Just to add, I don't have any chronic medicine, which make it cheaper, if you've got expensive chronic, and want to cover it through the med aid, momentum will be R4500/ month

You need to have an advisor do a proper needs analysis. If you need assistance let me know so I can put you In touch with an expert

Different companies allow different waiting periods. If you need comprehensive advice on both scheme and gap cover and risks/shortfalls associated with certain choices from an independent advisor. Let me know.

You don't know who Myles is or what he does. I don't think he will need to take you up on that offer.

What's the best gap cover for around R200?

"best" is a bit difficult, as they all have their quirks. FWIW though, I've had good experiences with Stratum, who are our current provider of choice. Good admin, they cover PMB's, they have pretty good systems from what I've been able to see and they actually FIX their stuffups if they ever happen (just had one, and they phoned to apologise profusely after fixing it, before we even knew there was a problem)

We've dealt with Complimed as well, and their systems were also good. But they've stopped covering PMB's so we aren't supporting them from a new business perspective any more.

Zest seems to be good when looking at their benefits, but I haven't dealt with them so cannot categorically state whether they're good or bad. 

Discovery Gap - STAY AWAY. It's not worth the toilet paper it's written on. But that was kinda to be expected, really, as a good gap product from them would have negatively affected their health business. 

Resolution gap cover - meh. 

I'm looking at the Liberty one at the moment, but truthfully I don't see it competing with the products from the dedicated GAP providers such as Stratum / Zest etc. 

Overall, though, look for something that has cover for PMB's and covers at up to 500% of the med aid rate. Waiting periods are largely the same across the board, and you WILL get a 3 month general waiting period when you sign up, which may or may not extend to "accidents" or "Emergencies" not related to pre-existing conditions. 

"best" is a bit difficult, as they all have their quirks. FWIW though, I've had good experiences with Stratum, who are our current provider of choice. Good admin, they cover PMB's, they have pretty good systems from what I've been able to see and they actually FIX their stuffups if they ever happen (just had one, and they phoned to apologise profusely after fixing it, before we even knew there was a problem)

We've dealt with Complimed as well, and their systems were also good. But they've stopped covering PMB's so we aren't supporting them from a new business perspective any more.

Zest seems to be good when looking at their benefits, but I haven't dealt with them so cannot categorically state whether they're good or bad. 

Discovery Gap - STAY AWAY. It's not worth the toilet paper it's written on. But that was kinda to be expected, really, as a good gap product from them would have negatively affected their health business. 

Resolution gap cover - meh. 

I'm looking at the Liberty one at the moment, but truthfully I don't see it competing with the products from the dedicated GAP providers such as Stratum / Zest etc. 

What are your thought on Turnberry?

How does the waiting period work - do you pay for 3 months and receive no cover?

yes and no. 

Yes, because any planned procedure will not be covered (assuming they're not for a pre-existing condition, in which case the waiting period would be 12 months, generally speaking)

Accidental claims may be covered, depending on the company you place your cover with. 

Childbirth is excluded for the first 9-12 months, again depending on the provider. 

What are your thought on Turnberry?

They look pretty average. What I mean is they have pretty much the same benefits as the higher end gap cover providers like Stratum etc. One thing is that I cannot find anything pertaining to PMB conditions in their material, so I'd check up on that first. 

I like the look of their extended cancer coverage on the top tier plan, and the benefits look good. The premiums also look pretty standard for the benefits they offer.

Check the PMB cover status. If they cover PMB's, then they would be yet another company to add to the list of gap providers. 

can't say anything re their admin, though. Backed by Lombard, so they'll have a reasonable amount of clout in the marketplace. 

• 1 month later...

You don't know who Myles is or what he does. I don't think he will need to take you up on that offer.

Actually I do...thx

Archived