Karoobaix - Hell of the South

mokganjetsi

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be my first time riding/walking up Oubergpas, hope to get there before sunset on day one of Karoobaix!

Some drone footage while following last years Munga

Will be my first time riding/walking up Oubergpas, hope to get there before sunset on day one of Karoobaix!

Ouberg pass one of my fav cycling challenges! Certainly rideable if you are fresh but with a lot of kilo's in the legs like in stage 1 of this race or the TransKaroo an extreme ask! Expect 99% of people to walk at least parts of it.

Some drone footage while following last years Munga

Beautiful ! Sunset over the Tankwa; sounds like the title of a Frank Zappa or Doors track....

Those who entered, check your inboxes, just received mail.

"There are only 7 spots still open to race KAROOBAIX 2017, so if you have a friend who is considering entering, get him or her to do so as soon as possible."

Awesome!

Beautiful ! Sunset over the Tankwa; sounds like the title of a Frank Zappa or Doors track....

Doors........

From my braai

post-523-0-54318700-1502445530_thumb.jpg

"There are only 7 spots still open to race KAROOBAIX 2017, so if you have a friend who is considering entering, get him or her to do so as soon as possible."

Awesome!

I would give anything to do this......not fit enough and no bike...

https://www.strava.com/routes/10091633

I did this once. PA Hamlet near Ceres to the Cederberg Oasis and back, solo, no strava in the heat of Feb on a Dual sus 26er. It was a typical hot summers day

let me put it this way..I think some company and night time shade will make this more bearable as it darn nearly killed me that time. I ran out of water on my way up the last big climb in the heat of day 1  and suddenly it all felt very stupid.. 

Awesome!

and you better have one of your legendary ride reports !

because we know people...lots of people....so you can run, but you wont be able to hide (for long) :)

I believe the route takes you down here........I call this place, the tire eater

Quite right, Kranswurm. It eats tires and people too.

Gannaga jou lekker ding!

Less than two months to go, looking so forward to this and making a 2 week holiday out of this...

Anyone knows if we need to take lights?

edit:

PS - Can you call this a holiday when you slogging it out for two murdering days in this almost inhospitable beautiful place :ph34r:

Hi nathrix. Yes please, all riders must carry lights. You'll find it listed on the Rules page on the website...

https://www.strava.com/routes/10091633

I did this once. PA Hamlet near Ceres to the Cederberg Oasis and back, solo, no strava in the heat of Feb on a Dual sus 26er. It was a typical hot summers day

let me put it this way..I think some company and night time shade will make this more bearable as it darn nearly killed me that time. I ran out of water on my way up the last big climb in the heat of day 1  and suddenly it all felt very stupid.. 

It's a mean one...

Archived