Wahoo vs Garmin Sensors

MTB-More

Hi All

I have been reading the forums for more than a year getting by without ever needing to post but the last week I have not been able to read good enough reviews to make a decision. 

Scenario:

So about 4 months ago I took the plunge and bought myself a Wahoo Speed and Cadence sensor and have to add it has been working flawlessly since then with no issues. 

Last week the wife was nice enough to let me upgrade to the Fenix 3 HR (They on decent specials now) and with it came free gifts in the form of a Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors.

So for the past week I have read every review I could about Wahoo and Garmin. DC Rainmaker has a really good breakdown of the Garmin sensors but there is no equivalent on the Wahoo to be able to draw a conclusion on accuracy. DC Rainmaker did say in a blog post in 2015 I think that he would do a review on the Wahoo but I think he never got around to it. 

Sensors:

Wahoo - https://www.wahoofitness.co.za/wahoo-speed-and-cadence-bundle.html

Garmin - https://shop.garmin.co.za/speed-cadence-sensor.html

What I would like to know:

1. Which one is more accurate?

2. Which one is better in the long run with more consistent results?

3. Is there a considerable difference in the pickup from the one to the other? (Referring to the Lag to log during interval sessions)

FYI - I am thinking of selling the 1 set seeing as I don't need 2 sets. Want to keep the "better" one ofc

Thank you for your time in reading my long post. Hopefully you guys/gals can help me make a informed decision with your experience with these sensors.

Hi All

I have been reading the forums for more than a year getting by without ever needing to post but the last week I have not been able to read good enough reviews to make a decision. 

Scenario:

So about 4 months ago I took the plunge and bought myself a Wahoo Speed and Cadence sensor and have to add it has been working flawlessly since then with no issues. 

Last week the wife was nice enough to let me upgrade to the Fenix 3 HR (They on decent specials now) and with it came free gifts in the form of a Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors.

So for the past week I have read every review I could about Wahoo and Garmin. DC Rainmaker has a really good breakdown of the Garmin sensors but there is no equivalent on the Wahoo to be able to draw a conclusion on accuracy. DC Rainmaker did say in a blog post in 2015 I think that he would do a review on the Wahoo but I think he never got around to it. 

Sensors:

Wahoo - https://www.wahoofitness.co.za/wahoo-speed-and-cadence-bundle.html

Garmin - https://shop.garmin.co.za/speed-cadence-sensor.html

What I would like to know:

1. Which one is more accurate?

2. Which one is better in the long run with more consistent results?

3. Is there a considerable difference in the pickup from the one to the other? (Referring to the Lag to log during interval sessions)

FYI - I am thinking of selling the 1 set seeing as I don't need 2 sets. Want to keep the "better" one ofc

Thank you for your time in reading my long post. Hopefully you guys/gals can help me make a informed decision with your experience with these sensors.

Both Wahoo and Garmin use the same technology on these sensors. The Wahoo products however has both ANT+ and Bluetooth connections allowing you to connect to multiple devices simultaneously i.e Your Fenix and and Smartphone/Tablet. 

This bluetooth connectivity also allows the unit to be upgradeable with new software and accuracy algorithms when required. This you can simply not do with an ANT+ only device. 

Wahoo products is made to be future proof. 

Both Wahoo and Garmin use the same technology on these sensors. The Wahoo products however has both ANT+ and Bluetooth connections allowing you to connect to multiple devices simultaneously i.e Your Fenix and and Smartphone/Tablet.

This bluetooth connectivity also allows the unit to be upgradeable with new software and accuracy algorithms when required. This you can simply not do with an ANT+ only device.

Wahoo products is made to be future proof.

Garmin sensors are actually upgradeable via ANT+, my HR monitor has received a couple of upgrades.

Other than that I totally agree with you. The sensors should perform identically, but the Wahoo has BT which means it is compatible with more devices - more specifically any future devices you may not yet know you'll buy. Hasn't Suunto completely dropped ANT+ in favour of BT for instance?

I use the Garmin magnetless sensors and HR strap that came bundled with my Edge 820 and they do a fine job. If I had to buy them seperately I'd get the Wahoo, even for the HR strap. If I had those I wouldn't have needed an additional ANT+ dongle (generally overpriced) to run Zwift on my laptop as all the Wahoo sensors can communicate with the laptop via BT.

To my mind all new sensors should be made dual ANT+ and BT, doing anything else is just restricting choice and it won't be a good strategy down the line...

Agree completely with all the sentiments above. I have slowly, but surely made the move to a complete Wahoo setup. Wahoo Elemnt GPS with Wahoo speed and cadence sensors and the Wahoo tick HR strap. Some of the best products I have ever used.

I suppose that another reason to go full BT on sensors is that you can use your cellphone as your bike computer in a pinch

Let me know if you are selling your extra set MTB-More, I've got an n+1 in the garage that needs them

I suppose that another reason to go full BT on sensors is that you can use your cellphone as your bike computer in a pinch

Let me know if you are selling your extra set MTB-More, I've got an n+1 in the garage that needs them

PM me if you need them. After doing some testing last night both have a 5 sec pickup to log. So they are pretty much the same to be honest.

I did not know that, its a very useful to have both.

I have the Edge 510, and I recently got a tacx neo. I use the trainerroad app on my phone with the Neo and I could not use my garmin strap (Ant+) as my phone does have an Ant+ connection so I had to get a bluetooth strap(polar) but the new bluetooth smart straps does not connect with the older Garmin 510's (520 does have bluetooth smart capabilities) so I have to manually upload my data to garmin connect after each ride.

But if the wahoo strap have both bluetooth and Ant+ then I can connect to my garmin and phone simultaneously.

Having always used garmin, over the past couple of years I have acquired two wahoo tickr's and the Blue SC as I get them significantly discounted through work. Brilliant, but then so were the garmin products that I previously used. Only thing that I really love about the tickr is that I can imagine that I am riding for team Sky when I wear it [emoji23]

Having always used garmin, over the past couple of years I have acquired two wahoo tickr's and the Blue SC as I get them significantly discounted through work. Brilliant, but then so were the garmin products that I previously used. Only thing that I really love about the tickr is that I can imagine that I am riding for team Sky when I wear it [emoji23]

I want to be your friend and get wahoo products at a significantly discounted price

Garmin sensors are actually upgradeable via ANT+, my HR monitor has received a couple of upgrades.

Other than that I totally agree with you. The sensors should perform identically, but the Wahoo has BT which means it is compatible with more devices - more specifically any future devices you may not yet know you'll buy. Hasn't Suunto completely dropped ANT+ in favour of BT for instance?

I use the Garmin magnetless sensors and HR strap that came bundled with my Edge 820 and they do a fine job. If I had to buy them seperately I'd get the Wahoo, even for the HR strap. If I had those I wouldn't have needed an additional ANT+ dongle (generally overpriced) to run Zwift on my laptop as all the Wahoo sensors can communicate with the laptop via BT.

To my mind all new sensors should be made dual ANT+ and BT, doing anything else is just restricting choice and it won't be a good strategy down the line...

How do you upgrade the HR strap via NAT+?

I want to be your friend and get wahoo products at a significantly discounted price

[emoji23] - been trying for a year to get them to extend the discount to the kickr, but they won't budge. Great company to deal with but then so is Garmin

the new bluetooth smart straps does not connect with the older Garmin 510's (520 does have bluetooth smart capabilities) so I have to manually upload my data to garmin connect after each ride.

I dont think the 520 can use bluetooth sensors either, afaik the bluetooth on them is just to upload rides from your smartphone.

Archived