Cheap dropper posts?

Mongooser

I bought a Lyne (external) - Will fit it this weekend.

I compared the Rapide (R2099) and Lyne (R2499), which seem identical, but I think there are some internal differences, because the service kits aren't the same. The number of brass keys is different.

I'm sure they'll both be good though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a note, the Rapide and Lyne are not the same internals on the 150mm internal routing. I'd still be happy with either, both have 2 year warranty.

From Wayne at Rapide:

"Thanks for your email. The 150mm internal cable dropper posts we have are quite different on the inside from the Lyne ones. There are very few parts as they are all incorporated into the hydraulic cartridge. There are some large keys which are molded into the stanchion it's self and the hydraulic cartridge. The keys can't be replaced and only get a small amount of play over time due to their much larger sized compared to other brands. The seal in the lock nut could be made replaceable but we haven't had any wear there"

post-27175-0-58550300-1547195330_thumb.jpg

As a note, the Rapide and Lyne are not the same internals on the 150mm internal routing. I'd still be happy with either, both have 2 year warranty.

From Wayne at Rapide:

"Thanks for your email. The 150mm internal cable dropper posts we have are quite different on the inside from the Lyne ones. There are very few parts as they are all incorporated into the hydraulic cartridge. There are some large keys which are molded into the stanchion it's self and the hydraulic cartridge. The keys can't be replaced and only get a small amount of play over time due to their much larger sized compared to other brands. The seal in the lock nut could be made replaceable but we haven't had any wear there"

Ok, so same as Giant then. Rather spend a few extra bucks and get the Lyne if you can't replace the wiper.

• 1 month later...

I have a Rapide dropper. The plastic keys can break. My first one developed a crazy amount of play within the first 3 months. Got it warrantied by Rapide, no issues there. Didn't want to open it myself because I was convinced there was something wrong from day 1.

The replacement post that I received doesn't seem any better. The wiper seal is a dud. I went for 1 ride in some moderately wet weather, no rain, just some wet trails and that thing sucked in all the sand and muddy water it could and the post seized before I even finished the ride. I opened it up to clean it out (there was dirty water everywhere) and saw that the plastic key had a crack in it. 

Also that seal is not removable/replaceable and there's no way to upgrade it/make it better unless you break the plastic key off.

I'm a little bummed out trying to support local, and regretting my decision a little. Wished I had listened to everyone who told me to rather get the Lyne or something else :(

^ Thanks for the heads up, combined with Droo's info it's clear that the Lyne is by far the better value post