Stolen bike update

JeremyCPT

The part I don't get is how the bike shop have no records of the sale? Or who they bought it from? For crying in a bucket even cash crusaders have a policy whereby they copy your ID when buying anything from a member of the public!!!

This whole situation puts this bike shop in a seriously shady light. Guy rolls in with a 75k bike bikeshop buys bike off shady oke for 10k then proceeds to retail bike for 40k making a 30k profit .... this is only an example but you can see how it looks to the cycling community more must be done by the members of this community as well as the bike shops to reduce the amount of "black market" bikes....

Rant over.

Hope you come right!

If this is true, why did they not do anything about it?

The issue is that our bikes get stolen! Finish en klaar. Not about defending a bike shop who should have done something.

And a bike shop owner who thinks a bike which is offered to him is stolen is not doing anything!

Ag K@K man, dis baie swak!!

Op, Sorry for the loss

Gents please read the thread. Nowhere does it say the bike was brought in for sale. The bike was neither bought nor offered for sale by the LBS.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theft of any kind in "Cry our beloved country" gets all of us off on the wrong track and more so when it affects our beloved personal effects.

Empathy for the OP and everyone else who have lost their beloved personal possessions.

Mine is not ensured. I'm rethinking that as of now.

Gents please read the thread. Nowhere does it say the bike was brought in for sale.

You are right, it was not explicitly stated, but a reasonable explanation is that some guys who arrive in a taxi with, even on the bike shop owners version, a likely stolen top end bike, are not there to have it serviced.

Or do you have a better explanation?

The bike was neither bought nor offered for sale by the LBS.

Again, you are right. It was not "bought or offered for sale BY the LBS"

The allegation is that It was "offered for sale TO the LBS".

So whilst correct, your answer is an obvious attempt to capture the narrative. Do you have Bell Pottinger on speed dial?

You are right, it was not explicitly stated, but a reasonable explanation is that some guys who arrive in a taxi with, even on the bike shop owners version, a likely stolen top end bike, are not there to have it serviced.

Or do you have a better explanation?

Again, you are right. It was not "bought or offered for sale BY the LBS"

The allegation is that It was "offered for sale TO the LBS".

So whilst correct, your answer is an obvious attempt to capture the narrative. Do you have Bell Pottinger on speed dial?

Thinks Pah Bear is the Bell Pottinger of Bridge Cycles.

Let the bikeshop explain.

Gents please read the thread. Nowhere does it say the bike was brought in for sale. The bike was neither bought nor offered for sale by the LBS.

So you know the other side of the story then? You seem to say that with a lot of authority... Why not just share it rather than making these statements that could be just as creative as andrewdh's comments.

So you know the other side of the story then? You seem to say that with a lot of authority... Why not just share it rather than making these statements that could be just as creative as andrewdh's comments.

Do tell.

Those who defend this particular LBS and staff: please ask for their version of the events. Particularly why they did not try assist (in any possible way) the guy who called in noting it was his bike.

My LBS would... I hope.

There are always 3 sides of the story, so THUMBS feedback could be useful.

Nearly Monday

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Not going to read through all the handbag slinging, but

Possession is 9/10 of the law (sadly).

The fact that the shop did not delay the pick-up is regrettable.

That's my LBS, I really appreciate the service I get out of them and like all the guys and girl who work there. I don't know the whole story regarding this incident and have learnt to take reports on these posts with a glob of salt. Won't crit till I get their side of the story.

Are we still waiting for "their" side of the story?

Pah Bear, seeing that is your LBS, I'm sure you alerted them to this thread.

Are we still waiting for "their" side of the story?

Pah Bear, seeing that is your LBS, I'm sure you alerted them to this thread.

Depending on the friend's timing of the phone call and phone conversation itself, as with the action required, they too have the choice of offering their side of the story. Life is all about choices and based on the perception being cast here, if you don't want to help, step aside but be prepared for people to also step passed your shop.

Would be good to know if the friend's call made it in time. For me this is nb.

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on the friend's timing of the phone call and phone conversation itself, as with the action required, they too have the choice of offering their side of the story. Life is all about choices and based on the perception being cast here, if you don't want to help, step aside but be prepared for people to also step passed your shop.

Would be good to know if the friend's call made it in time. For me this is nb.

As someone who was there the day this happened, can confirm the friend's phone call came through after the guy had already left with the bike unfortunately. 

As someone who was there the day this happened, can confirm the friend's phone call came through after the guy had already left with the bike unfortunately. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Hope that clears up some questions for the others and the OP too..

My Cannondale Scalpel was stole in January this year after our garage doors were crowbarred open.

This evening I saw a picture of my bike posted on a cycling whatsap group.

Someone had seen it at Bridge Cycles Diep River and said the people who brought it in looked dodgy.

I am 100% sure it was my bike because I can recognise unique things such as the green crank protectors, white shock and white hubs etc.

I immediately drove to Bridge cycles while a friend phoned them to tell them to hold onto the bike. I got the pic at 16:48 and got to Bridge at 17h20 to be told that the bike had gone.

I will report all of this to the SAPS investigating officer in the morning.

I am very irritated that the owner of Bridge didnt do more. The bike is obviously stolen. How many times are you going have a "dodgy" guy come in with a R75k bike that doesnt fit him. The owner and the mechanic immediately admitted that they thought the bike was stolen. They thought the guys came from Brawns Farm Philipi.

They didnt contact SAPS or try to notify any cycling forum. They didnt question the guys that brought in the bikes, no photos, CCTV conveniently not working, no registration number from the taxi that brought them. Nothing!

As a bike shop representing the cycling community where there have been a lot of bike jackings and theft from homes I believe that all shops have a responsibility to play a role to prevent the theft of the bikes and when a potentially stolen bike comes into their shops they need to do something about it.

Not good enough!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/648-cannondale-scalpel-2016/

This whole story is incredibly disappointing, however to target your blame at the bike shop and not the actual guy who stole your bike!? Particularly, after your friend's call came through to the bike shop after the guy had already left with the bike? 

Archived