Stolen bike update

JeremyCPT

My Cannondale Scalpel was stole in January this year after our garage doors were crowbarred open.

This evening I saw a picture of my bike posted on a cycling whatsap group.

Someone had seen it at Bridge Cycles Diep River and said the people who brought it in looked dodgy.

I am 100% sure it was my bike because I can recognise unique things such as the green crank protectors, white shock and white hubs etc.

I immediately drove to Bridge cycles while a friend phoned them to tell them to hold onto the bike. I got the pic at 16:48 and got to Bridge at 17h20 to be told that the bike had gone.

I will report all of this to the SAPS investigating officer in the morning.

I am very irritated that the owner of Bridge didnt do more. The bike is obviously stolen. How many times are you going have a "dodgy" guy come in with a R75k bike that doesnt fit him. The owner and the mechanic immediately admitted that they thought the bike was stolen. They thought the guys came from Brawns Farm Philipi.

They didnt contact SAPS or try to notify any cycling forum. They didnt question the guys that brought in the bikes, no photos, CCTV conveniently not working, no registration number from the taxi that brought them. Nothing!

As a bike shop representing the cycling community where there have been a lot of bike jackings and theft from homes I believe that all shops have a responsibility to play a role to prevent the theft of the bikes and when a potentially stolen bike comes into their shops they need to do something about it.

Not good enough!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/648-cannondale-scalpel-2016/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This it disappointing. :thumbdown:

I wonder why the bike was brought into Bridge? Did it need a repair/service or were they trying to sell it? Also how did someone come to post the picture on a whatsup group?

I heard of another bike that was brought into another cycle shop in the southern suburbs for repair. They recognized it as belonging to another customer and phoned the customer who confirmed that it had been stolen. Then they phoned the police. The bike got returned to the original owner.

This it disappointing. :thumbdown:

I wonder why the bike was brought into Bridge? For a Service

Did it need a repair/service or were they trying to sell it? For a Service

Also how did someone come to post the picture on a whatsup group? Because a concerned member of the public noticed "something was odd" & decided to spread the word on whatsapp. 

its annoying but simple...

our constitution entrenches the right to a presumption of innocence until proven guilty for everyone ,you cant expect bike shop owners to play policeman, even if they believe the bike is stolen ,they cant start accusing people and detaining people and their property and im sure you know that, so its unfair of you to blame them in this situation or expect them to start calling saps etc etc

its annoying but simple...

our constitution entrenches the right to a presumption of innocence until proven guilty for everyone ,you cant expect bike shop owners to play policeman, even if they believe the bike is stolen ,they cant start accusing people and detaining people and their property and im sure you know that so its unfair of you to blame them in this situation or expect them to start calling saps etc etc

I didnt ask the bike shop to accuse them. I do expect them to make the slightest effort. Try get their details. Take a picture of them and their vehicle. Have your CCTV working.

Make a slight effort.

Our constitution if worth nothing if nobody is prepared to do anything to assist their own community.

My view, piss poor effort from someone that had a sense he was dealing with stolen property.

How many more times has this happened?

its annoying but simple...our constitution entrenches the right to a presumption of innocence until proven guilty for everyone ,you cant expect bike shop owners to play policeman, even if they believe the bike is stolen ,they cant start accusing people and detaining people and their property and im sure you know that so its unfair of you to blame them in this situation or expect them to start calling saps etc etc

That is a grave misinterpretation of the constitution, the burdon of proof and the bike shop's rights and obligations.

Nothing stopped them from "detaining" the bike and, in reality, they had an obligation to do so and call to police.

What they did was wrong and there is no excuse for it.

This is p*ss poor from the bike shop. How can you get to a bike shop in a taxi with a R75 000 bike and not look dodgy?!

Hijack on... to the guy who purchased my resprayed NINER sir 9 off bikehub for a thousand bucks... please get in touch with me?

Hijack off

Relevant comment:

This is a poor effort... Also, just an also, how many bike shops buy 2nd hand bikes and resell them? Surely most people who can afford a 75k bike would sell it on a reputable website?

I dunno... this all just sounds dodgy and way too convenient.... 

That is a grave misinterpretation of the constitution, the burdon of proof and the bike shop's rights and obligations.

Nothing stopped them from "detaining" the bike and, in reality, they had an obligation to do so and call to police.

What they did was wrong and there is no excuse for it.

whatever works for you ...but its not 1980 and business owners don't have any obligation to detain stuff/people or play policeman

you may put on a cloak and put your underpants on over your trousers and rush about fighting crime but its not everyone elses obligation to be a superhero

its annoying but simple...our constitution entrenches the right to a presumption of innocence until proven guilty for everyone ,you cant expect bike shop owners to play policeman, even if they believe the bike is stolen ,they cant start accusing people and detaining people and their property and im sure you know that so its unfair of you to blame them in this situation or expect them to start calling saps etc etc

Yes let's all stand back and do sod all because that always helps.

This is a cycling community, and surely that means we should have each others backs when it comes to things like this. Unless the guys in the bike shop felt threatened, this is a piss poor reaction from them.

whatever works for you ...but its not 1980 and business owners don't have any obligation to detain stuff/people or play policeman

you may put on a cloak and put your underpants on over your trousers and rush about fighting crime but its not everyone elses obligation to be a superhero

FAIL - get off your high horse. 

I would expect if there was any doubt, and if someone had phoned to confirm the suspicion and explain that the owner is on his way, they might have felt an obligation to do good and delay the suspect's departure. 

Friday aside. We have a serious problem with bike theft, people's personal safety/lives are at stake and because of this, everyone has a duty to report what they believe to be suspicious. In this case, it seems enough reasonable steps were taken to warn the shop that there is a problem. What they decide to do from that point is their call. 

We do not know the exact circumstances that lead to the people leaving with the bike before the owner arrived. If we could maintain this before drawing judgement.. like, what exactly did the friend say to Bridge? Did they understand or acknowledge the issue or did they take the view it was not their problem?

If I'm not mistaken some guys tried selling stolen bikes to this same shop in the past & they called the cops then, anyone else remember that story? judging from all the above probably not.

We do not know the exact circumstances that lead to the people leaving with the bike before the owner arrived. If we could maintain this before drawing judgement.. like, what exactly did the friend say to Bridge? Did they understand or acknowledge the issue or did they take the view it was not their problem?

This ^^^^

Archived