Desert Dash 2017

sias

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Evening Gents, having read through your posts on last years forum, you all sound like seasoned dashers - This is my first epic MTB experience, I come from a Triathlon background and have taken to broadening my endurance fettish, and so the solo dash seemed like a good place to start.  

I have a few questions that perhaps you can help with as the website is useless. 

1) Packing List - What the hell will I need to complete this race, wrt equipment - I have a bike a helmet a headlamp and a tail light (thats all the website alludes to !) - in your experience what are the things I should look at packing ? 

2) Reading on the terrain from your previous posts would I be mistaken to say that the only way to complete this event is with a 29r or could a gravel grinder also work ?

3) Lastly how the hell do you train fro something like this ? is it just bum in saddle time or would some technical skills training also be required ?

4) Whats your nutrition tips - barring eating as much as you can 

I will take any pearls you willing to share 

Thanx Gents 

Two tips, forget the Gravel Grinder idea, this is a MTB race, I wouldn't even try it on a 29er HT. Dual Sus wth soft tyres ????????

DONT "eat as much as you can" that's very silly, eat as much as you should. This over eating thing is not a good idea, for any race.

Please answer my question.

What would you like to get for your money?

he wants red nissan trailseeker socks and a empty water bottle with some USN gu

1) Packing List - What the hell will I need to complete this race, wrt equipment - I have a bike a helmet a headlamp and a tail light (thats all the website alludes to !) - in your experience what are the things I should look at packing ? Get a proper handle bar mounted light with at least 1000-1500 lumen and a battery pack that will last at least 10 hours on the low-med setting. I only use the head lamp as a back-up and to check the GPS etc. 

I carry a small saddle bag (yes, a saddle bag!) with a tyre repair kit - that's basically it... I have never had a puncture or a broken chain or any other mechanical. Have your bike serviced and ride it before the time to iron out any problems.

2) Reading on the terrain from your previous posts would I be mistaken to say that the only way to complete this event is with a 29r or could a gravel grinder also work? As Patchelicious has said: a 29er dual suspension would be the right choice unless you are a mean, hardcore SOB who likes things to be as hard and uncomfortable as possible. The roads on stages 2-5 are heavily corrugated with some sandy patches thrown in and after 15 hours of riding, your body will thank you when you hit those rough patches. I run a wider tire for the Dash - Ikon 2.35.

3) Lastly how the hell do you train fro something like this ? is it just bum in saddle time or would some technical skills training also be required ? No technical skills required! It is just time in the saddle. I did some 150km+ rides back to back on Saturdays and Sundays from Sept to Nov that seemed to work for me.

4) Whats your nutrition tips - barring eating as much as you can I rode the whole thing on watermelon and Coke, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask! On the 36One I changed tactics and ate some sarmies and all the date-balls I could grab and also the bars and gels I carried with me. At some stage you get to a point where you feel like throwing up if you eat anything, but I just pedalled through it.

I will take any pearls you willing to share For the solo riders, the single most important thing is pacing in the first 2 stages and leaving the team riders alone. Stage 3 will kill you if you go all out on stages 1 and 2 and then you have nothing left for the flatter stages where you just have to keep pedalling.

Thanx Gents 

Evening Gents, having read through your posts on last years forum, you all sound like seasoned dashers - This is my first epic MTB experience, I come from a Triathlon background and have taken to broadening my endurance fettish, and so the solo dash seemed like a good place to start.  

I have a few questions that perhaps you can help with as the website is useless. 

1) Packing List - What the hell will I need to complete this race, wrt equipment - I have a bike a helmet a headlamp and a tail light (thats all the website alludes to !) - in your experience what are the things I should look at packing ? 

2) Reading on the terrain from your previous posts would I be mistaken to say that the only way to complete this event is with a 29r or could a gravel grinder also work ?

3) Lastly how the hell do you train fro something like this ? is it just bum in saddle time or would some technical skills training also be required ?

4) Whats your nutrition tips - barring eating as much as you can 

I will take any pearls you willing to share 

Thanx Gents 

It all depends on if you do Solo or team.! If you do solo, it is a bit more complicated with packing , training lights and nutrition. 

Two tips, forget the Gravel Grinder idea, this is a MTB race, I wouldn't even try it on a 29er HT. Dual Sus wth soft tyres

DONT "eat as much as you can" that's very silly, eat as much as you should. This over eating thing is not a good idea, for any race.

Thanx Patch  :thumbup: , thought the dual sus would be the weapon of choice, on the nutrition side I have had one or two races where Gastrointestinal issues played its uncomfortable part through both over eating and worse over Hydrating. Just wasn't sure if you carried all your "nosh" or there were checkpoints every couple of KM that had yum yums.

1) Packing List - What the hell will I need to complete this race, wrt equipment - I have a bike a helmet a headlamp and a tail light (thats all the website alludes to !) - in your experience what are the things I should look at packing ? Get a proper handle bar mounted light with at least 1000-1500 lumen and a battery pack that will last at least 10 hours on the low-med setting. I only use the head lamp as a back-up and to check the GPS etc. 

I carry a small saddle bag (yes, a saddle bag!) with a tyre repair kit - that's basically it... I have never had a puncture or a broken chain or any other mechanical. Have your bike serviced and ride it before the time to iron out any problems.

2) Reading on the terrain from your previous posts would I be mistaken to say that the only way to complete this event is with a 29r or could a gravel grinder also work? As Patchelicious has said: a 29er dual suspension would be the right choice unless you are a mean, hardcore SOB who likes things to be as hard and uncomfortable as possible. The roads on stages 2-5 are heavily corrugated with some sandy patches thrown in and after 15 hours of riding, your body will thank you when you hit those rough patches. I run a wider tire for the Dash - Ikon 2.35.

3) Lastly how the hell do you train fro something like this ? is it just bum in saddle time or would some technical skills training also be required ? No technical skills required! It is just time in the saddle. I did some 150km+ rides back to back on Saturdays and Sundays from Sept to Nov that seemed to work for me.

4) Whats your nutrition tips - barring eating as much as you can I rode the whole thing on watermelon and Coke, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask! On the 36One I changed tactics and ate some sarmies and all the date-balls I could grab and also the bars and gels I carried with me. At some stage you get to a point where you feel like throwing up if you eat anything, but I just pedalled through it.

I will take any pearls you willing to share For the solo riders, the single most important thing is pacing in the first 2 stages and leaving the team riders alone. Stage 3 will kill you if you go all out on stages 1 and 2 and then you have nothing left for the flatter stages where you just have to keep pedalling.

Thanx Gents 

WOW Sias these are GEMS mate  :eek:  THANK YOU. 

Off to shop for Bar Mounted Head lamps and Ikon 2,35 Tires Tomorrow  :clap:

Back to Back 150km rides sounds like hell, especially here in the Cape with all these frikken mountains, but if thats what it takes  :thumbup:

Watermelon and Coke  :eek:  sheeeesh Dude that is hardcore - I guess my sporting background has made me a bit of a ninny with HIGH5 Protein bars, FARBARS and POWERBARS - thats why they say MTB is for real men 

Great Tip on the pacing, especially for inexperienced MTB like myself, I understand this fully in multi disciplined events but never really considered it for this one, especially with the fact that there will be 2&4 man teams, who I would invariably want to chase down  :thumbup:

Sias, thanx for the time and the tips mate, highly appreciated 

It all depends on if you do Solo or team.! If you do solo, it is a bit more complicated with packing , training lights and nutrition. 

Warthog, Going Big mate ...SOLO for me  :thumbup:

Watermelon and Coke  :eek:  sheeeesh Dude that is hardcore -  That's only because I couldn't get anything else in! I ride with far bars as well and they really helped on the 36One.

What we mustn't forget is the  supporters! They have a very very long day/night/day ahead as well. They have to leave for CP3 before 14:00 and will only see us again in roughly 8-10 hours. Experience of driving on gravel roads will help as the C28 has some sharp turns going over the Boshua pass.

We take a sleeping bag and pillows for the night and the something for shade in the afternoon, as it will be hot and the sun very harsh and sitting in the car the whole time isn't very nice.

Have a nice strong work light to hang on the car or somewhere to make working around the car easier in the dark when you eventually pitch up, a headlight also makes life easier. 

Camping chairs and a small table to work on is a must otherwise your pasta/sarmies/whatever will be full of sand.

Take a gas stove for coffee water and warm water to wash your face at the checkpoints.

Eye-drops for all the dust...

Warthog, Going Big mate ...SOLO for me  :thumbup:

Like you attitude !!! :thumbup: Yes , and take note of all the tips from Sias, he know what he is talking about! I have done 5 solos, and my best tip will be, begin slow and end strong, it is really a mind game the first 2 stages not to chase the teams down, and to keep your pace.

I eat every 40 min, maybe just 3 nuts or 2 dates, and remember you get to a stage were you had to force feed to get some food into your body, just do it, and get some down.

All the best with your prep, it is a long road!! :thumbup:

What we mustn't forget is the  supporters! They have a very very long day/night/day ahead as well. They have to leave for CP3 before 14:00 and will only see us again in roughly 8-10 hours. Experience of driving on gravel roads will help as the C28 has some sharp turns going over the Boshua pass.

We take a sleeping bag and pillows for the night and the something for shade in the afternoon, as it will be hot and the sun very harsh and sitting in the car the whole time isn't very nice.

Have a nice strong work light to hang on the car or somewhere to make working around the car easier in the dark when you eventually pitch up, a headlight also makes life easier. 

Camping chairs and a small table to work on is a must otherwise your pasta/sarmies/whatever will be full of sand.

Take a gas stove for coffee water and warm water to wash your face at the checkpoints.

Eye-drops for all the dust...

This is gr8 Sias, totally forgot about this poor dude  :blush: , will make sure they cosy to bring on them positive vibes  :thumbup:

Like you attitude !!! :thumbup: Yes , and take note of all the tips from Sias, he know what he is talking about! I have done 5 solos, and my best tip will be, begin slow and end strong, it is really a mind game the first 2 stages not to chase the teams down, and to keep your pace.

I eat every 40 min, maybe just 3 nuts or 2 dates, and remember you get to a stage were you had to force feed to get some food into your body, just do it, and get some down.

All the best with your prep, it is a long road!! :thumbup:

Thanx Warthog  :thumbup:  appreciate it mate